What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally pulled some stuff out of my grandads chest to start to get back into woodworking.

Practicing with some planes and some wood I've got that's in pretty rough pieces.

It's a lovely feeling watching the shavings coming off and the stock coming square. Trying to get my head round planing out bows and cups. I think I also need to find out how to sharpen the irons on a proedge

I'm feeling the love for it :D

1.jpg

I finished the table for the new lathe.
I need to make some drawers to go under it, but first i want to play.
I have had the lathe nearly two weeks and it hasn't had a bit of wood in it yet.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 258
I put a smoke & heat detector up in the shop today

IMG_2207_zpssjbs4nbk.jpg

Knowing two folks who have lost their workshops to fire in the last 4 months I figured it was a no brainier, wired to the alarm the alarm doesn't even need to be set for it to be activated in the event of a fire

monkeybiter":38gv80je said:
That looks more like a bondage dungeon from that angle! :shock:

Not knowing what a bondage dungeon looks like I can't comment :lol: :lol:

Today I made 4 traditional saw horses using some Meranti that I had lying around and decided were good for nothing frankly. I had allowed 4 hours, it took me 8! very pleased with the new shop additions though. They will certainly make life easier in future!

Not actually in the workshop, but cut in 32 bonnet hips on the porch roof, I never want to see a ladder again. :roll:

Mike

Made 2 adjustable trestles with rollers on top for supporting long lengths of timber will cutting on the saw. Made from 30mm and 25mm light gague steel box, some leftover steel from another project, 12mm threaded bar with wingnuts welded at end to make the locking bolts. Bit rough and ready, ready for polishing nd spraying in the morning.

Polished and sprayed this morning. Not too bad I think, came out OK. Work perfectly. Fold away to hang on the wall to 2" deep, 16" wide and 26" high.

Not in the workshop, but outside it. Decking had it's annual coat of decking oil. Weather turned out good for it too

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 72
I made progress on the dust containment for my router table.

Probably I should post the WIP for my new workshop.

Completed the first stage on my build of the internal sections for the World's Biggest All Wooden Harmonica.

GSe1M2S.jpg

Today I took delivery of a set of systainers that make up my new toolbox station! Some jazzy festool organiser boxes and sys cart. I spent the rest of the day looking at it and going "kkoorrr"

Finished off the porch roof, all the cuts where made with a chop saw with a diamond blade, so slightly relevant.

IMGP6961.jpg

And the finishing touch.

IMGP6964.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• IMGP6961.jpg
    IMGP6961.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMGP6964.jpg
    IMGP6964.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 149
Made progress on the plane rack. Or is it a plane till?

IMG_1122a.jpg

Plough and router plane slots.

IMG_1120a.jpg

Block plane cubbies. These and the 722's cubby are the only part of the design I thought up myself instead of nicking them from somewhere else.

IMG_1117b.jpg

A map, in case I get lost :D

IMG_1136a.jpg

Finished, mounted and filled.

IMG_1134a-1.jpg

Finally starting to look tidy.
Need to build the chisel racks for the lower left corner of the plane till, then get a saw till going and a rack for the drills. And the clamps. And I think that's it for the immediate shed furniture to-do list then.

MikeJhn":1gbp6h85 said:
Finished off the porch roof, all the cuts where made with a chop saw with a diamond blade, so slightly relevant.

Mike

That's a lovely looking porch. I might be biased though, I grew up in a flint house in Kent.

I don't think you are biased at all, you just appreciate older buildings, I'd like to see a modern house in 800 years to see what it looks like. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

Having some steel box left over from the previous project this week, used it up making a jig for sharpening my gouges.

After looking at a few youtube vids of homemade Ellsworth jigs, I decided to have a go at making one for myself. Only cost a few bob on materials, surplus steel from a previous project. Spent more time than money on this project, getting measurements right and cuts square (ish) but hopefully will pay off!

Made from 30mm & 25mm light gauge steel box, 1 1/4" angle, M 8 gutter bolts and nuts. Still have to cut the holder for the gouges. All the parts welded up ready for polishing and then spraying. Will post again when I've sprayed and then assembled.

Attachments

• Ellsworth Jig.JPG
    Ellsworth Jig.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 96
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back