What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sawdust=manglitter":3o0bwzo9 said:
Technically yesterday, but finally made a replacement for the broken plastic insert on my Axminster HBS310N bandsaw with a perfect fitting boxwood insert

7523b64c179e6e9ec8a0b2e043066b09.jpg

0265adbdd545fbc0936eefc9eade8f3f.jpg

8f716ee88f7feab4546bbb98a5e89f42.jpg

(Since ordering a Record BS400 this bandsaw will be for sale on the forum before long)
Neat solution! That's something that's on my list of things to do. I'm on my last plastic one. I think Axminster wanted a 5iver a pop- I'd sooner make one. I can't understand the reasoning for all the holes......other than to weaken it, and make you buy more :lol: In all seriousness, I can't see how the holes would benifit the extraction.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Moonsafari69":3jc4tqr1 said:
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the BS400 when you get it if you don't mind. Looking at that myself. Thanks, Dave.

Will let you know. I literally just had a phonecall from the courier to say that they'll be delivering it tomorrow... a bit last minute if you ask me! But I'm very lucky I have such a good boss! Probably wont get a chance to set it up properly until the weekend though.

ColeyS1":3jc4tqr1 said:
Neat solution! That's something that's on my list of things to do. I'm on my last plastic one. I think Axminster wanted a 5iver a pop- I'd sooner make one. I can't understand the reasoning for all the holes......other than to weaken it, and make you buy more :lol: In all seriousness, I can't see how the holes would benifit the extraction.
Coley

Same here... i dont see any benefit in having the holes, so long as there's sufficient suction from the extractor then in theory everything should go down the blade 'slot'. But I didn't realise that a replacement would cost £5!?!

Sawdust=manglitter":21zazoun said:
Moonsafari69":21zazoun said:
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the BS400 when you get it if you don't mind. Looking at that myself. Thanks, Dave.

Will let you know. I literally just had a phonecall from the courier to say that they'll be delivering it tomorrow... a bit last minute if you ask me! But I'm very lucky I have such a good boss! Probably wont get a chance to set it up properly until the weekend though.

ColeyS1":21zazoun said:
Coley

Same here... i dont see any benefit in having the holes, so long as there's sufficient suction from the extractor then in theory everything should go down the blade 'slot'. But I didn't realise that a replacement would cost £5!?!
I thought it seemed alot for a poxy piece of plastic, especially since i seem to break a few. I'll make a batch when I get around to it. Did you put a cut off screw in the bottom to stop it turning in the table ?
Nice job
Coley

ColeyS1":2q4epm8q said:
I thought it seemed alot for a poxy piece of plastic, especially since i seem to break a few. I'll make a batch when I get around to it. Did you put a cut off screw in the bottom to stop it turning in the table ?
Nice job
Coley

Thanks Coley :D

Well its a snug enough fit that it wont twist when in situ, so no need for anything. And to get the level perfectly flush I made it a little too thin and then added some CA glue around the bottom rim to its easier to shave down for a perfect flush fit. Being boxwood I'm confident that this insert will be a lot more durable than that cheap thin plastic!

Well actually the vast majority of the work was carried out on the patio rather than actually in the workshop, but I've made this raised bed planter thingy. It's all made from leftovers from the workshop build, apart from the top rim, which I had to shell out for. Moved into place yesterday with help from my friend Julian, finished filling it today after a trip to the garden centre.

IMG-20170412-WA0000.jpg

The frame is made from 3x1s, all pocket-screwed together and braced with pallet wood, then creosoted, clad with shiplap and lined with roofing membrane.

The soil is beautiful once I've riddled out all the junk.

It's planted with two different types of Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, then one each of Coriander, Chamomile, Oregano and Mint. I also have seeds for Basil and Chives.

The soil level is about 2.5 - 3" below the top. Do you think that is about right? I have loads of soil to get rid of, so I could raise it another inch or two if necessary. But if I'm going to do that I need to do it tomorrow, before they start to get established.

I'm no gardener (I used to have Staff for that sort of thing...), but I do like my herbs. My herb garden is just about the only thing I miss about my old life, so I'm dead chuffed at finally getting round to replacing it.

Attachments

• IMG-20170412-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170412-WA0000.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 105
Steve
Put the mint in a pot. It will take over. By all means top the soil up a bit, it will sink anyway.

Thank you. I did wonder about the mint, but Eric the Viking gave me a bagfull last year and I potted them up and they are all gone. Yes, I can kill mint. I do have a trough I could use for that.

I might put a bit more soil in, I can afford to do so.

You can always plant the mint in a buried bucket/thick pot with drainage holes Steve if you want to keep it in the bed, will just contain the roots. And yeh, raise the soil level now. It might sink by nearly a third if you have filled with loamy type composting. Stand on it and water it in well at the end. Stick some cut and come again rocket, salad types? Good value for money for the return.
Cheers
Chris

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2017/0 ... ermomorph/

So I had two LED T8s for lighting in the shed:

IMG_1067a.jpg

But I'd accidentally bought a third and wanted to fit it in between. Needed some blocks cut to the apex angle on top and horizontal underneath for the mounting brackets and that angle's not something nice like 30 or 45 degrees. Could have used a bevel I suppose, but wanted to play with the latest toy...

thermomorph.jpg

Take a few tablespoons of it, shove it in a mug of hot water, let it go translucent and goopy, scoop it out and let it cool for just a minute, then kindof mush it up like mala (the irish version of plasticine) and then shove it into the angle of the roof and let it take the shape of that angle. Let it cool and you have your impression. Cut it in half with a rip saw and mark off the angles against the wood block and then just saw down the lines.

2017-04-12-20.20.32a.jpg

Cross-cut, drill pilot holes, screw block to roof and mounting clips to blocks, clip new light into clips and viola

IMG_1092a.jpg

All the lights :D
Now I just need to wire it in tomorrow and see if I blind myself :D

That's a good use for the plastic, especially as it's reusable. In fact I reckon that could be further applied to cutting complex joints and angles in furniture making.

Steve Maskery":17986oqj said:
I also have seeds for Chives.

P.M me your address and I will send you some plants. Chives have long ago taken over my patio, growing like a lawn between the pavers. I regularly mow them down in the summer.

Gotta be able to see those lines for dovetailing, says I, as I wire in the third LED T8 light in my 8'x6' shed and turn it on.

IMG_1098a.jpg

The lightmeter now reads 2400 lux, meaning it's brighter inside my shed than outside my shed at noon on most days in Ireland.
I *might* have gone a little far here. In that I haven't yet wired up the floodlight that was to be aimed at the vice...

WatchingTheBomb.png

MarkDennehy":1i5a5s57 said:
I *might* have gone a little far here. In that I haven't yet wired up the floodlight that was to be aimed at the vice...

WatchingTheBomb.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I finally glued the base of my grandfather clock up. On to the drawers next

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 114
Moonsafari69":11v2kcgm said:
Put up some shelves to finish my plane storage. Feeling very satisfied :lol:

The shelves to the left look a little bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back