What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job, I would be so wary of damaging a nice Mahogany top, I probably would never use it. (hammer) :wink:

Mike

When we went to the timber yard my dad uses and asked what he had in for a bench top he pointed up over to some reclaimed stuff he had in which turned out to be mahogany, possibly Brazilian. He had about 8 lengths of the stuff, between 8-10ft long, 12" wide and 2" thick and he said we could have it for £20 a length, so we bought 4. 3 for the bench and there's one over for my dad.

I might go and get the rest of it though if they are still there because we were surprised at how nice it came up. The underside is a little more worn, but after that's planed out there would still be about 1.5" thickness in them. .

I was going to leave it bare, but it's come up so nice that I'm going to have to put something on it to try to protect it. But I won't be that cut up when it gets marked, I think use will give it some character.

Lons":1i0794bc said:
MusicMan":1i0794bc said:
Tidied up and put stuff away, ready for going into hospital for a new knee tomorrow. Had to avoid sharp and rotating things for a few days as I don't need an open cut. During the coming enforced ban from the workshop I will try and do the retrospective WIP of the Georgian bureau restoration that I have been working on over the last year (bar various other stays in the local NHS hotel ...).

Cheers

Keith
Good luck with that Keith
I don't think it will be too long before I'm going down the same route.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm out of hospital already and recuperating at home, which is mainly comcerned with doing the physio. Going quite well though. And I know it will make a big difference.

Btw the morticer is working out very well as a dual-purpose drill press and morticer.

Keith

DiscoStu":2hoj2zqr said:
Dad prefered his five battery Maglite and a stick of oak in his long pocket :lol:
Oh those were the days.

I keep a 4 cell maglite by my bed. It's good to have a "torch" to hand if you need it in the night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother was told by a senior police officer many years ago that the best thing to have by the bed was claw hammer - it was thought to be one of the only things that you could do serious harm with yet have a perfectly reasonable excuse for its being there - you hammered in a tack on bed frame, put a tack in the wall for a picture and so on. The worst thing for self protection was a knife, as if you had a large knife in a bedroom there was likely to be only one purpose a court would believe in its being put there.
I threw my Maglite away - I was tired of paying for five D cells for every five minutes I actually used the torch. I believe the new ones are LED though, which would be better. They are far better as a truncheon that doubles as a torch that a torch that doubles as a truncheon. :D

Two years after I made it, I have eventually fitted the Mr Sawdust bench top to my RAS. I just need to make the back board and fence so ordering four horizontal toggle clamps that screw to the back board and hold the fence in position.

The Mr Sawdust table is two pieces of 3/4" MDF or Ply glued together but with slots for steel bars routed into it, the bar's are installed on their edge to increase stiffness so the table doesn't sag.

I took the blade off and turned the motor so the shaft is pointing downwards and adjusted the height of the table top so its perfectly parallel to the shaft across the table and side to side within the thickness of piece of 80g/sqm paper.

Next job is installing the sacrificial 1/4" ply top with brass screws.

20b5a54c43f156f98cc8e2645a3c4aa1.jpg

Had a little visiter join me in the shop today. Took me half an hour to get him out the door.

Danger_MouseUK":2uhwzp2p said:
20b5a54c43f156f98cc8e2645a3c4aa1.jpg

Had a little visiter join me in the shop today. Took me half an hour to get him out the door.

That happens to me too!
:)

Attachments

• Chewie-1.jpg
    Chewie-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 205
I bought a remote controlled power socket switch for my numatic NVD750 extractor, £14 for two. The extractor is rated at 2400W (2 x 1200W motors) and the socket at 2900W, ratings vary so worth checking. I can be at one end of the workshop and the extractor is at the other, some 20 metres away and the remote works lovely. Now to fix the remote to a big bright orange piece of wood so I don't lose it!

512D70ADX4L._SL1100_.jpg

Attachments

• 512D70ADX4L._SL1100_.jpg
    512D70ADX4L._SL1100_.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 185
Farmer Giles":1p981ywd said:
Now to fix the remote to a big bright orange piece of wood so I don't lose it!

Had the same problem, my solution was to house it in a little ply block with a french cleat on the back, and a wee block of ply on the bottom so it sits flush on the tool wall, or level on the workbench etc when it's needed closer to hand than walking across the workshop. Never gone MIA since.

Nearing completion of my overhead guard for the table saw.

Mike

Attachments

• Guard 2.1.jpg
    Guard 2.1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 112
That looks the bees knees Mike
Hope you post some more pics of it when your finished
Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Tom

I wont be doing much more to it for a time as I am away for about two months, but any further updates on this saw guard will be added to the Axminster TS-250 modifications thread: post1134074.html#p1134074

Mike

Great stuff MikeJhn. Will you be doing a video showing how well it works?

I'd be very interested in seeing how it compares to the original guard, as well as with and without the extraction turned on.

Thanks Trasatlantic

I will try a video once I get it completed, with and without extraction to see how well it works, maybe a high speed pic instead, it will be easier to do, the original guard will not be going back on it was as useless as they all are.

Mike

Bought some mortice chisels on ebay, an old set in sizes from 1/8" up to 1/2". That 1/2" one though. pineapple me. Thing's a railroad spike. Herself has banned it to the shed because it’s a foot-long half-inch wide rectangular chunk of metal with a pointy end. It looks like it belongs in a medieval museum dedicated to stabbing people very hard in places they’d prefer, on the whole, were left unstabbed.

IMG_0980a.jpg

MarkDennehy":354gxlpk said:
... a medieval museum dedicated to stabbing people very hard in places they'd prefer, on the whole, were left unstabbed.

Sounds like you're pitching a game show, I'd watch the celebrity version.

I mean, I'm fully aware that this is a nice problem to have, but still...

IMG_1057a.jpg

Dovetailed and rebated border all glued up and fitted to the plywood panel, but now I have to figure out how to get all those on there and the chisels as well (the hammers will move to the side wall I think).
BTW, I don't expect much from knotty pine whitewood bought from woodies, but dammit, was I asking too much to expect that a 1.8m length of 43x12mm whitewood would be 1.8m of whitewood and not several 30cm lengths scarfed together? Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back