What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ +1 for the bureau WIP!

I don't have those skills and love watching those who have :D

Brian

Drawer making today. Walnut face, poplar body, 9mm plywood base.

IMG_0871a.jpg

IMG_0874a.jpg

IMG_0883a.jpg

IMG_0884a.jpg

IMG_0885a.jpg

IMG_0893a.jpg

That's the last real chunk of the cot build done. Last minute fettling and tweaking left to do tomorrow, then a few coats of shellac and either I'll drop it off tomorrow night or I'll give the drawer face a coat of osmo and drop it off in a day or two. Depends on how it looks.

MarkDennehy":1i9tp4x6 said:
Drawer making today. Walnut face, poplar body, 9mm plywood base.

IMG_0874a.jpg

#043 doing what it does best (albeit with a fence bigger than the tool!!) :D

I was doing some pruning and shaping on a neglected bit of hedge; I needed to measure stuff,
so I made a yardstick.

And it's really a stick (holly, since you ask), cut to length, just bits of insulating tape to mark 1' and 6" intervals.
stick_rule.jpg

Worked a treat!

(I've also got a couple of 8' canes marked up in the same way for garden use, which I've had for years, but I needed something handier)

BugBear

Attachments

• stick_rule.jpg
    stick_rule.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 199
Very nice work, Mark. Moher and baby will be happy!

And thanks for the simple but effective idea, BB. Just looking at my box hedge this week and realised that the last trim was done by a drunkard....

I cleaned up the mitre joints and finished the bureau base, ready for staining and waxing now.

IMG_3016.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 181
bugbear":1yrj9d60 said:
#043 doing what it does best (albeit with a fence bigger than the tool!!) :D
It really is just a joy to work with for that particular task :)

Thanks for the post, showing the bureau base, I have a wardrobe to build later this year and all detail is being assimilated and stored for future reference, the base construction looks ideal.

Mike

Thanks, Mike, this is the classical Georgian/Regency method of bracket feet going onto a frame on the underside. Note that the brackets do not touch the floor! Their purpose is to mount the actual feet which in my case were 70x70mm pine sections, which protrude about 3mm beyond the brackets. 50x50mm would have done fine.

The bureau is screwed on the base with about 20 mm overlap at front and sides. (Probably nailed originally in fact). Then ovolo moulding is mitred on the ledges. If you google "georgian bureau images" you will see the huge variety of shapes of the brackets that were used.

It would be preferable to make the frame wider than I have done, to include the overlap. Then the feet can be just feet and not include the overlap. I made the frame from ash and then made the brackets of oak, which fit on the sides of the frame, in effect simulating a wider oak frame. This made the mitre joint quite difficult to make and to glue up accurately, as you have to get the front bracket exactly fitting the side brackets, and maintain this fit while you cramp up. With a wider frame, you can do each foot separately. The only reason I did it this way was that I wanted to use old, recycled wood so that future shrinkage would be minimal (of course it will still "breathe" with the seasons). The oak was recycled from the frame of a 1930s table found in a "shed" antique shop, missing its top, which set me back a fiver. The ash was part of the opening mechanism of the flaps. At a mere 80-odd years old, this is the newest wood I have used in the reconstruction. But the oak pieces were not long enough for the long front of the frame and I couldn't get anything closer without buying new. The front brackets and the long piece joining them were glued up using a single long batten of oak that I had (actually this may be only 10 or so years old). The pine for the feet and the gluing blocks underneath came from church pews from around 1850.

If starting from new, I would use 70 mm wide wood for the frame, overlap the frame by 20 mm all round, use mitre bridle joints at the corners, and 50 mm square feet. The single legs would be mitred at the front (butt joint is fine at the back as it is concealed by the side bracket) and mounted at the edge of the frame on the underside; the feet then fit inside these.

And now here it is stained:

IMG_3019.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 165
IMG_0899a.jpg

Oh, so that's how you clamp glue blocks.

IMG_0909a.jpg

And fettling and finishing a drawer. Almost done now. Just last minute fettling and it'll be done...

I spent the first half of the day rearranging my garage to be more optimal, realised it was worse, and then spent the other half of the day moving it all back again. I am now aching all over.

Finally, done...

IMG_0919a.jpg

IMG_0916a.jpg

IMG_0915a.jpg

IMG_0917a.jpg

I mean, it's no Chippendale (it's not even Chip'n'Dale really), but I'm happy with it given that it's a first piece. And it's fun to see where it got to given how it started out :D

201609261603.7a1.jpg

2016-09-21-12.58.18a.jpg

Quite an ambitious first project, well done, it looks like the curved sections are made from Walnut did you steam or laminate them?

Far too ambitious - all I see now when I'm looking at it is the small litany of little and large errors :D
And it was steambent american black walnut. Complicated by the walnut being kiln-dried, but it's all I could get over here.

Absolutely brilliant I love it and I am sure the baby will too.

Mike

Mark, you're doing marvelously mate. Great credit to you and a pleasure to watch it come along mate. Fair play. Warts and all I think I have enjoyed this build as much in it's own right as I any I have seen on here. That's saying summat. Good luck to you for having your money where your mouth is mate. Brilliant stuff fella. It's far better than you give yourself credit for.
Best regards
Chris

transatlantic":2d2gaoni said:
I spent the first half of the day rearranging my garage to be more optimal, realised it was worse, and then spent the other half of the day moving it all back again. I am now aching all over.

A perfectly normal day for me, glad I'm not the only one.

A good beer ceremony is now essential to celebrate this pointless yet crucial activity.

Hic!

Mark,
Bloody smashing mate =D> =D>
You've got to be happy with that, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back