Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been debating whether to try to build my first router table or just buy one. I think this is too good an opportunity to miss out on though so it looks like I'll be building one (as long as I can pick all your brains when I get stuck).

One thing I was wondering about though. Assuming we get the centre milled out would it be much more to also get the relevant holes counter sunk as well? I would also pay a little more for a thicker (8mm) plate to avoid any possibility of flexing.

Thanks for organizing this Dibs

wobblycogs":3gquoamc said:
I've been debating whether to try to build my first router table or just buy one. I think this is too good an opportunity to miss out on though so it looks like I'll be building one (as long as I can pick all your brains when I get stuck).

One thing I was wondering about though. Assuming we get the centre milled out would it be much more to also get the relevant holes counter sunk as well? I would also pay a little more for a thicker (8mm) plate to avoid any possibility of flexing.

Thanks for organizing this Dibs

I contacted 2 other firms today - it seems for the qty we would be looking at Laser cutting would be more economical than CNC punching.

I could find out what the additional cost would be to get the small holes countersunk - but I suspect most folk would be happy to do that themselves, especially if it kept the costs down. But I can certainly enquire.

Hopefully will have the 2 additional quotes thru tomorrow - these are based on 12"x9" in 8mm for the plate and 4mm for the rings. These will include a 3rd blanking ring for folks who would want to drill their own.

I didn't get round to looking into getting them anodised - but will do so tomorrow. Any preferences on colour? We wouldn't have to get them all anodised - so if some folk didn't want them anodised - we'd just reduce the batch for anodising.

As light as possible IMO something that will allow a pencil mark to show.

yes gold should work. As long as they can do matt. Tho not at all bothered if it pushed the prce up.

wizer":3ghtce44 said:
yes gold should work. As long as they can do matt. Tho not at all bothered if it pushed the prce up.

Just got off the phone with a local hard anodising firm - a proper Type III hard anodising coating (25 micron thick) will add somewhere in the region of £20 to the cost of each set.

That's the 1st "estimate" - I can't see shaving a great deal off it ringing round. Would folks still be interested? A Type II coating which is still hard but not what BS call Hard Anodized, would add no more than £10 per set. We could get this down - as a Type II coating is done by more people.

Type II isn't as hard as Type III.

Dibs-h":3bo60nbw said:
Just got off the phone with a local hard anodising firm - a proper Type III hard anodising coating (25 micron thick) will add somewhere in the region of £20 to the cost of each set.

That's the 1st "estimate" - I can't see shaving a great deal off it ringing round. Would folks still be interested?

It's starting to get a bit expensive and about the same cost as buying a good insert plate from a shop. Not sure that I'd want to bother with anodising if it's going to cost that much.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Definitely getting too pricey for me, but thanks for looking into it :) .

Yes I was worried this was going to go above the threshold of cheapness. If it can't be done for £20 then it's really not worth your time. Thanks for the effort. If you keep your eyes peeled, I'm sure the Alu plate from Axi or Tilgear will eventually be discounted.

That's not a problem folks.

Can you let me know if anybody still wants some\one - without the anodising, as anodising did come up as a bit of a thought at the tail-end.

Cheers

Dibs

Hi Dibs,

Could you please confirm the current estimated price based on a 10 off build? I recall that you were waiting for fabricators to respond.

Cheers,
C

P.S. I'm against anodising if it increases the price by 50%.

chris_d":2itfls6o said:
Hi Dibs,

Could you please confirm the current estimated price based on a 10 off build? I recall that you were waiting for fabricators to respond.

Cheers,
C

P.S. I'm against anodising if it increases the price by 50%.

£20 - give a take a few pounds. That doesn't include the shoulder being cut - but hopefully that can be done for the give or take a few pounds bit. I might look into the advice by someone, to have a chat with the model engineering club to see if we can get someone to do that (to keep costs down).

I use 5 insert discs. One of which has 3 different sized sub-inserts, for minimum clearance on small pieces. You need a couple at least, so factor that into your costs. The finish from a laser is top quality, a highly polished cut edge.

Hi dibs can you add me to your list and i would like to be able to use guide bushes if everyone agrees. how would you want paying cheque or postal order or paypal? what about postage have you got the cost of this worked out i am not botthered about adonizing the insert but another vote for 8mm thick from me. im not bothered about the size i'll go with the majority

cheers

Dibs. I'm in, if you'll have me (so to speak...)
Thanks for organising this.
I know these things can turn out to be a pain in the buttocks, with everyone wanting different things.
I'll go with whatever you decide mate.
Cheers .
Adam.

Chaps - I factored in originally 2 rings. Now it's 3 - 1 undrilled, as was suggested.

I spoke to a firm that does water cutting as well as laser cutting - this was a bit educational, from the perspective that around 8mm onwards - laser can't cut holes where the diameter of the hole is less than the material thickness. I spoke to another laser firm today (who will also provide a quote) who confirmed this. Seems a bit odd that none of the firms spoken with thus far have mentioned this. I'll raise it when their quotes come thru.

The water cutting\laser firm will provide quotes for both - be interesting to see what the difference is.

As for payment - I'd say hold fire, at the moment expressions of interest are sufficient and it's a case of lets see what's possible and for how much and then we as a group can decide what to do. It may all come to nothing - bloody hope not. :wink:

I'll keep you informed.

p.s. Postage - not a clue, but those on the Yorkshire-Midlands run might get theirs dropped off. I'll work out what the weight & postage might be.

Price is a bit high with anodizing but I'd be happy without as long as we can keep it below £20.

While researching home made CNC machines a little while back I came across a guy that had made his own laser cutting machine. I might not be remembering correctly but I thought he said that he didn't have to cut the full depth of the material. Something to do with the laser only cutting where it was focused. If we could get an accurate circular trench cut, say 1mm wide by 4mm deep, routing out the rest for the shoulder should be fairly easy I would have though.

Latest posts

Back