Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re laser focus. You cannot really use a laser as a milling machine to cut an exact depth. The edge left by a laser is tapered, all to do with the focus. this can be used to your advantage, for inserts, etc.

Right folks 1st proper quote has come back - water jet cutting bizarely enough!

8mm Plate - 300x225
qty - Price
10 - 14.50
20 - 12.45

Ring 1 - 30mm hole (inner hole)
qty - Price
10 - 2.15
20 - 2.00

Ring 2 - 50mm hole (inner hole)
qty - Price
10 - 2.30
20 - 2.10

Plain Disc
qty - Price
10 - 1.85
20 - 1.75

Giving a set price (1 plate + 3 rings\discs) of

10 Qty = 20.80
20 Qty = 18.35

This doesn't include the cost of creating the shoulder - which I'll look into shortly. I'm assuming this is still a goer?

I suspect we'll hit 20 sets.

To keep the costs down - I can alter the CAD drawings to include mounting holes for any router (assuming you tell me which one), and email them to folk so they can use the print as a template and accurately drill the mounting holes. Interested?

Hi, Dibs-h

Yes I am interested and I don't mind drilling my own holes.

Pete

for a 4mm hole - it costs less than 10p on each plate.

There was a slight error on the 1st quote - they'd assumed the discs\rings were also 90 mm as opposed to 110mm, and they'd only quoted for the 4 corner holes.

8mm Plate - 300x225 [9 holes - 6 mounting holes + 3 for rings\disc]
qty - Price
10 - 14.90
20 - 13.15

Ring 1 - 30mm hole (inner hole)
qty - Price
10 - 3.15
20 - 2.85

Ring 2 - 50mm hole (inner hole)
qty - Price
10 - 3.55
20 - 3.25

Plain Disc
qty - Price
10 - 2.75
20 - 2.50

Giving a set price (1 plate + 3 rings\discs) of

10 Qty = 24.35
20 Qty = 21.75

There probably isn't any mileage to getting the mounting holes put in the rings as you could drop the rings in and use the holes in the plate as a guide.

This is probably a more reflective price - now just need to get the cost worked out for the shoulder cut. The 30mm and 50mm diameter holes were just 2 sizes chosen to give an idea - if folks felt these needed altering - no probs. But for the moment lets just use these sizes to get comparisons. Assuming it pans out and we decide to go ahead - then we can decide on the final hole sizes on the 2 rings.

I'm in and happy to drill my own router mounting holes.

BTW - I'm surpised that cutting the 50mm diameter inner ring is markedly more expensive than the 30mm since I doubt they could accurately/reliably measure the additional energy used by the water jet compared to its startup/ramp-down overhead. Also, with the 50mm ring, they get more waste to recycle!

Cheers,
C

Also, with regard to the shoulder, couldn't one of our spinny friends cut it on a metal lathe or is that too dangerous? You could use the router mounting holes to tool for the lathe's chuck.

chris_d":1gdui4p8 said:
I'm in and happy to drill my own router mounting holes.

BTW - I'm surpised that cutting the 50mm diameter inner ring is markedly more expensive than the 30mm since I doubt they could accurately/reliably measure the additional energy used by the water jet compared to its startup/ramp-down overhead. Also, with the 50mm ring, they get more waste to recycle!

Cheers,
C

As folks will all have different routers - best not to have them done by the cutters. If there is anyone in the group who doesn't have a pillar drill or isn't comfortable doing it with a hand drill - I'd be happy to pre-drill yours to your router before sending it out. (Now don't all jump in that queue!)

The circumference on a 50mm cut is 157mm approx, whilst for the 30mm is approx 94mm - that's a noticeable difference and would explain a noticeable difference in price. As for the waste - bet they don't pay to get it removed but probably get paid by those that collect it.

Most shops know what the speed of the cut is, in certain materials\thicknesses and their software can work out what they should charge. Obviously if it errs on the side of anything - it'll err on the side of the cutter making money.

I don't think you'd want that plate in a lathe. I assume a cutter in a milling nachine would be able to do the shoulder easily enough. Even if it was fractionally off centre - it wouldn't be an issue as long as it was perfectly round for the ring\disc to drop into.

I'll have chat with the shop down my road - they have CNC and normal m\cs and are amenable to competitive cash pricing.

I'd be interested in one, may make me build a router table! Keep thinking about it.

A dumb question, why would you need 2 or 3 inserts? For if you have multiple routers?

I got a pillar drill so would be happy to drill my own holes as long as it doesn't need tapping or anything else?

Matt_S":2za58t9j said:
A dumb question, why would you need 2 or 3 inserts?

Because you will use different diameter router bits and it's better to keep the gap between the cutter and the edge of the insert as small as possible.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'm still interested in a set please.

Suggestions needed as to which router to fit to it, santas promised me a new router for christmas as i've been a 'good boy' this year lol :lol:

RILEY":3oaavlv7 said:
Dibs, at that price, I think you could probably sell them wholesale!
Adam.

Probably could - but it wouldn't be profitable. :wink:

As per the first post in this thread (mine anyway) - these are all being done at cost for forum members, i.e.

quoted cost (20 sets) / 20 = set price(1)

quoted cost (10 sets) / 10 = set price (2)

For the relatively small profit one could make it's seriously not worth the hassle of HSE, HMRC or a lawyer should someone sleep use a set.
:roll:

However, once my "metal working workshop" gets built (garage basement) - never say never! :wink:

I've just had a quote thru for laser cutting - the plates (alone) are coming in at £16.14 each based on 25 units, so it seems water cutting is the way to go. Whereas the water cutting quote was £13.90 for 20.

I'll stop looking into more laser quotes and get a few more water cutting quotes. That way we'll know whether the one quote we've had is representative or not.

paininthe - no probs.

Just got a laser quote back that I had requested a few days agao - nearly fell off the chair! £8.65 a set.

Now before you all start queing up - they made a slight cockup, they've quoted for 8mm mild steel for everything and not 8mm plate & 4mm rings in aluminium.

I've asked them to requote for 8mm plate and 4mm rings in alumuinium .

I have also asked for a quote for 6mm plate and 3mm rings, in stainless. Be interesting what the new quotes come back as. Will keep you informed.

I'm going to leave the machining alone for a mo - let's settle on the most cost affective cutter first and then I'll find someone for the shoulder operation.

p.s. Just incase there's any confusion - all the prices are excluding VAT (which if we get it all sorted this year will be 15%) - that's how they all quote.

Right then - had the reworked quote back - well suprised would be putting it politely.

Quote 2.

Aluminium (1050 grade)
8mm Plate - 10.83
4mm Rings - 1.40 (30mm), 1.43 (50mm), 1.23 (no hole)

Set Price - 14.89

Stainless (304 grade)
6mm plate - 11.74
3mm Rings - 1.52 (30mm), 1.54 (50mm), 1.42 (no hole)

Set Price - 16.22

You'll agree those are the cheapest prices we've had so far. (obviously + vat)

These cutters did confirm that the smallest diameter hole they could do it 8mm aluminium is 5mm. So the plate mounting holes are 5mm as are the ring mounting holes (for the sake of getting a comparable quote). Obviously the 5mm holes may not be suitable (or may) for the rings at which point we may or may get them done by laser.

But for the saving over the previous quotes - I don't see why we couldn't get the shoulder cut and be around the £20 per set price.

I'll try and get someone to price up the shoulder cut.

Sounds great - thanks for putting so much time and effort in to this!

I would prefer stainless but happy to go with the flow.

Thanks

Dave

Back