Recomendations for 1/2" router and table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2dive9702

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to find some insights, I hale from across the pond from Canada, now over there you can find router tables with 1/2" routers a dime a dozen. Life's path has taken me to live here in the UK. I seem to have a problem finding a router table with a 240v 1/2" router over here, the few I have seen are insanely expensive. In North America it is relatively common that a router brand recommends a specific table to use with their equipment, here not so much and you are left to your own devices to make them work.

Can anyone recommend a router table and 1/2" router that is of quality. I am looking to cut panel inserts for doors so a 1/4" won't work.

I've always been a makita man, but can not seem to find any used fixed based routers over here, they all seem to be the plunge style.

And then if I'm restricted to plunge style, how do I mount the makita to the table to prevent twisting, rocking, and chattering.

Any recommendations are welcomed

Most routers can be attached to an insert plate which is mounted in the table. The insert plate is drilled and countersunk machine screws attach the router base.

Axminster, Kreg and Woodworkers Workshop (they have an advert at the top of the page) all do insert plates which can either be mounted in their table or your own creation.

Fixed base routers are not often used here as you also have to buy some mechanism for holding them. If I were starting again I would buy the Jessem TA fence which gives a micro adjustable outfeed table letting you set the fence for the fine tolerances needed in cabinetmaking. The rest can be homemade although I would also look at the fancy rise and fall mechanisms made by Jessem. It's all down to budget.

Hi,

in the UK, the convention is to buy a separate router - which is almost always plunge - and a separate table.
For example, I have an aluminium router table. A trend router table takes the Trend T11 router easily, which is a clone of the Dewalt 625 i think.
You can't go wrong with any of these 1/2" routers: DeWalt, Trend T11, Makita, Festool, Bosch professional range (dark blue), Hikoki.

If you are going to keep it in a table, i would recommend the T11 with adjustment from the top, and a suitable table.

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to find some insights, I hale from across the pond from Canada, now over there you can find router tables with 1/2" routers a dime a dozen. Life's path has taken me to live here in the UK. I seem to have a problem finding a router table with a 240v 1/2" router over here, the few I have seen are insanely expensive. In North America it is relatively common that a router brand recommends a specific table to use with their equipment, here not so much and you are left to your own devices to make them work.

Can anyone recommend a router table and 1/2" router that is of quality. I am looking to cut panel inserts for doors so a 1/4" won't work.

I've always been a makita man, but can not seem to find any used fixed based routers over here, they all seem to be the plunge style.

And then if I'm restricted to plunge style, how do I mount the makita to the table to prevent twisting, rocking, and chattering.

Any recommendations are welcomed
I doubt this kind of thing is up to the standard you're looking for, but ... a number of vendors sell variations on this model, which has the one benefit that it's cheap. As well as the site linked, Rutland, Lumberjack and I guess many others sell it. If you need better than that, you are, as others have said, heading to separate purchases of a fixed-base router and a decent router plate with lift. You can probably make up a fence, but there are good ones around. A DIY option would probably run out at around £500+, plus the cost of your time to fit it into a table of some kind.

Back