Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking on the web and spotted the following,

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 784593.htm

makes one wonder about the cost effectiveness of getting some made? In the absence of anything else, this is what the sum of my surfing has brought up,

- plate size = 9"x12"
- 8mm thick,
- centre hole 3 1\4" diameter (or thereabouts), with a 10mm shoulder
- insert rings would be 4mm thick (2 rings - 1.5" inner hole & 1" inner hole). They'll give me an average price per ring so as many as required could be supplied.

Another local firm I use for odds & sods are coming back to me with a price this afternoon. The one at the bottom of my road - I'll be swinging by in the morning - on the way to work - as they open around 07:30.

Although we could go with 6mm plate and 3mm rings. I'll see what the indicative prices are for the 8mm\4mm combo are first.

Dibs

I think the Tilgear one (which is exactly the same as the axi one) is a bit cheaper still.

You'd have to make it around the £20 mark to make it worth doing. In which case put me down for one.

wizer":2lfaeeoe said:
I think the Tilgear one (which is exactly the same as the axi one) is a bit cheaper still.

You'd have to make it around the £20 mark to make it worth doing. In which case put me down for one.

It's possible - I did for a moment wonder about acrylic - be nice to have a transparent one. It would be nice to get some CAD drawings - in the absence I'll have to spend an hour of so and knock one up.

I've just got off the phone with a local laser cutting firm and it looks like that will be the cheapest method going - they want a dwg\dxf to work out the laser paths and hence the cost but from what he was saying I can't see the cutting cost exceeding £10 per item.

On the question of rings - how many and what inner diameters would be sufficient?

Also would there be a preference for the 8mm\4mm combo or for the 6mm\3mm ones - or whatever is cheaper?

The one operation that they can't do is create the shoulder - will have a look into who to get that done by.

Also router mounting holes - what makes of routers would people be looking to fit to these things? As the plates would most likely be laser cut - it is possible to have a few different mounting holes done. Will enquire whan I have done the CAD work.

I'll keep you informed of developments.

Update:

Laser cut :- for 2 rings and plate, Aluminium (6\3 combo) is about £20 and Clear Acrylic (8\3 combo - 4 is an odd size) is about £15. All plus VAT. That's based on plate being A4 size. And getting 10 sets.

Thoughts?

Lord Nibbo":ca71rzjz said:
Well if you want to make a list up, add me down for an Ally one. :D

LN - We either have 10 Ali sets or 10 acrylic sets or 10 acrylic and 10 Ali.

Seeing as how Tony's was ali and got people salivating - be safe to say lets go with ali, unless otherwise stated.

So the following have expressed interest,

- CrazyLilting (at least 1)
- Gill
- Riley
- Skywriter
- Wizer
- Lord Nibbo
- me obviously (perhaps 2)

So by my count we are at 8 units (at least). We need approx 2 more.

So far the price is around £20 per plate (in 6mm) + 2 rings (in 3mm). We should be able to beat that price as it's the 1st price. The only operation that hasn't been priced up is creating the shoulder in the centre ring - but I'll get a price for that. Be very suprised if it added a great deal to the cost.

Can people confirm their interest - if we get at least 10, I'll do the CAD work - post up the PDF and once people are happy, haggle\hassle the several firms that can do the work for the cheapest price possible.

I'm from Yorkshire - so you know that's going to be a tight price! :wink:

Thanks for looking into this Dibs. I don't think you need to worry about holes for routers. We can do tha ourselves. I'd prefer not to have holes where they're not needed. I know Tony made those holes for DE but I won't be needing to do it that way.

A4 Seems a little big ? Is there a reason for this size?

So the following have expressed interest,

- CrazyLilting (at least 1)
- Gill
- Riley
- Skywriter
- Wizer
- Lord Nibbo
- me obviously (perhaps 2)
- Paul
- Karl

We have at least 10 - I'll get on with the CAD work tomorrow eve - got to go collect the ridge tiles\visqueen for the workshop build.

The one bit I forgot was the Pin thingymajig - someone know the dimensions we should be using and I think it's 1 pin, but 2 possible locations? Metal pin - possibly turned down and a thread in the last bit. Aluminium or Steel pin?

Paul - that's the thing. I don't have an insert - any suggestions\preferences for size, location, height, etc.?

Wizer - did a google this afternoon and 12" x9" seemed awfully common. Virtually A4 size. Hence suggesting A4 as a size for the 1st quote. I don't really have a preference either way - so if the gang thought it should be a little smaller or a little bigger - no probs. Feel free to make suggestions!!

I think I'd like a plate to be smaller than the norm. But I'm also open to suggestions and will go with the flow.

Correct, One lead pin, 2 location. It could be a turned and threaded steel pin. Or if it's going to cost, I'd rather just make my own out of a bolt. Including drilling and tapping the hole.

I'm not familiar with this engineering malarkey and don't think I could put the screw holes in to mount my Trend T9 :( . Is it very difficult?

Gill, drilling Alu is very easy. You just need to mark the holes and drill, then counter sink. So special tools needed.

Dibs-h
I would also be very interested -updating from my triton table which has never been satisfactory :x is becoming a priority. I had been considering making the Gifkins table see http://www.gifkins.com.au but would like the flexibility of a plate. I'm thinking re 2 plates and 6 insert rings at the moment but a little research is required.

Thanks for looking into this.

Jeremy

wizer":1z6ffzru said:
Gill, drilling Alu is very easy. You just need to mark the holes and drill, then counter sink. So special tools needed.

Thanks Tom - I'm up for that :) .

Dibs-h":21m7op3h said:
ollect the ridge tiles\visqueen for the workshop build.

The one bit I forgot was the Pin thingymajig - someone know the dimensions we should be using and I think it's 1 pin, but 2 possible locations? Metal pin - possibly turned down and a thread in the last bit. Aluminium or Steel pin?

I think the pin should be steel, stainless if not too expensive difficult.
Also if you get the lip for the inset rings worked out it would be worth while checking if making one of the inset rings sized and lipped to fit the PC bushes would not add too much to the cost

Put me down for one anyway may be 2 depending on the final price.

I hope you don't mind I've posted a link on to the FOG UK section so there ma be some interest from them as well.

Back