Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we have about 8 for Aluminium - I think it would be safe to say, there will be a batch of Aluminium ones (can't see us not getting 2 more - ). :lol:

As well as a batch of Mild Steel.

Now for those wanting Steel plates - I suppose there would now be the option of getting all the rings in Aluminium. We'd just increase the rings for the Aluminium batch. Although the Aluminium rings are a little more - would this interest folk?

My main interest in Steel was for the use of magnets. I'd even thought about having the rings snap in with magnets. I guess they could be alu with magnets sunk into them. Remind me the size of the shoulder?

Dibs-h":1aqsmzdv said:
Looks like we have about 8 for Aluminium - I think it would be safe to say, there will be a batch of Aluminium ones (can't see us not getting 2 more - ). :lol:

As well as a batch of Mild Steel.

Now for those wanting Steel plates - I suppose there would now be the option of getting all the rings in Aluminium. We'd just increase the rings for the Aluminium batch. Although the Aluminium rings are a little more - would this interest folk?

I think I would prefer Steel with plastic rings but if you do not have enough for plastic then Aluminium rings will be OK.

Post to Suffolk

Thanks again Dibs!

I'm happy with either steel or ali rings.

For a final push for orders, maybe you should start a new thread titled "Amazing tool offer" with the "time to vote text" that you wrote on page 10 of this thread? Include a link to this thread for background detail and stipulate that the new thread should only be used for votes (no discussion) hence making the counting of votes easy.

Cheers,
C

P.S. I love your workshop thread!

Wizer - the dia of the rings would 110 and dia of the hole in the plate would be 90mm. 10mm shoulder - unless someone suggests otherwise?

Jerome - Plastic is going to be unlikely, unless we standardise the hole, shoulder with that of a commercially available one and perhaps buy in plastic ones - unless there was enough demand to get them cut\made.

Chris - you're right, I'll start a new thread, with a vote (next week when life isn't so tiring). WRT the Ali rings, I didn't want to get the 2 sets made up and then have someone ask if they could have Ali rings with their steel plate, when it would have been so easy to ask the cutters to increase the nbr of rings in the beginning.

Workshop - this is what purgatory\penance must feel like, either that or life on a chain gang! :shock: Should have plenty of piccies\update in a day or so!

I also realised that with using a firm further away we would have to pay for a pallet to be shipped back - so might factor that into the "total" cost in deciding which cutter to use.

A local'sh firm who provided the water cutting quote (in Ali) - I've asked them to provide a quote for the plates in 8mm MS and the rings in 3mm MS. The would also laser mark the holes etc. As it's MS - and most folk felt comfortable with drilling, tapping etc. - it seemed logical.

I think once this comes back - I'll have a bit of a shuffle thru the quotes and put another thread up for folks to say yay or nay and put their names down.

Right - had the more local quote back for the plate in 8mm MS and the rings in 3mm MS. All the holes will be laser etched - in 8mm steel plate, the holes would need to be 6mm min.

Obviously if the MS group wanted 6mm holes than - I'm sure the final quote wouldn't be a great deal higher.

£4.70 - Plate
£1.30 - Ring (30mm inner hole)
£1.35 - Ring (50mm inner hole)
£1.20 - Ring (no inner hole)

Obviously plus VAT. As these lot are in Sheffield, easily enough to collect or have one of their vehicles drop it off when next in the area - no real cost for delivery then. But as these lot for MS are even cheaper than enyone else - can't see any reason not to go with them.

Now what's the concensus for the rings? 3 rings? 1 with 50mm inner hole , another with a 30mm hole and a 3rd with no hole? These were just nominal sizes I used - would these be ok or do folks have a preference?

Obviously the folks who want aluminium could chose differently.

hi dibs-h

can you include me please , if you can , can i have the alum 8m + all alum rings with all holes drilled and tapped, hope that is not a problem is it?.

head clansman":flsct0jl said:
hi dibs-h

can you include me please , if you can , can i have the alum 8m + all alum rings with all holes drilled and tapped, hope that is not a problem is it?.

Hi Martin

For the Aluminum ones - the more the merrier. The holes aren't a problem - either get them done by the cutters or drill them out afterwards. Most folks are happy to do the drilling & tapoing themselves - but if a few (and it needs to be a few) don't have the gear - I'll do it and send them out.

I'll do the cad work this weekend and post up a piccy and we'll look to confirm exact nbrs\prices by 20 Nov. We can then get them done in Early Dec and you should all be able to get them by Xmas (also before the VAT goes up!).

I'll put up a Poll so people can select what they'd like and I'll use that to work out the nbrs.

Dibs

hi dibs

hi thanks for that , as i don't have the tap & die set please could you do mine for me, I will pay what ever it takes . many thanks .hc

not sure about the select what you like/need bit.
I'll admit I've no idea exactly what I need. More than likely I'll go with one Al and one MS then at least I've a spare for when I cock it up at some point :).

Having read all the above I've put an order in for Mild Plate\Rings. There seems to be a good few uses for it's magnetic properties.

I'm hoping to pick up a Trend T11 off Trends Community ebay auction. Then I guess all (ahem) I have to do is build a router table. Although I might need to build myself a woodworking bench to be able to build the router table. Perhaps I need a bench to build a bench. It's all a bit chicken and egg when your starting from scratch :)

I've made a start on the CAD, inbetween everything else, I haven't done the rings\discs (yet) as they are far from complex,

Router_plate1.jpg

It's missing a few minor things (blurb & stuff) but the major things are on there. If the group\s want it diff - speak up.

Now on the web - the Trend lead on pin is listed as

25.4mm long x 9.5mm diameter

so I've put the dia of the hole as 9.5mm. Could someone measure the diameter of the reduced bit to confirm? I've set the corner mounting holes 20mm away from each edge (again just "looks about right") so if you want different, I'll change it. Also the corners have been radiused at 6mm?

Obviously the above includes more detail than required - the extra detail will be removed from those drawings sent to the cutters - i.e. if they aren't doing the holes\shoulder no point in putting them on, but I'll post them up prior, for approval\perusal.

The shoulder - someone mentioned insetting it by 3.1mm not 3.0mm - allowing the use of a paper shim? Good idea, bad idea? I think the shoulder should be the same depth for both Aluminium and MS - allowing folks to use rings\discs interchangeably.

Hi Dibs,

Thanks again for all your hard work in facilitating this opportunity!

A minor comment on your dimensioning style - the use of a fixed datum point is encouraged from which all other dimensions are referenced to prevent acculmulation errors?

Apologies if you know this and were just showing a quick sketch.

Cheers,
C

Dibs-h":3oiovxms said:
Now on the web - the Trend lead on pin is listed as

25.4mm long x 9.5mm diameter

so I've put the dia of the hole as 9.5mm. Could someone measure the diameter of the reduced bit to confirm?
I think you will find the 9.5mm is the larger size (on the MLCS it is) the reduced bit on the MLCS is 6.3mm
I've set the corner mounting holes 20mm away from each edge (again just "looks about right") so if you want different, I'll change it. Also the corners have been radiused at 6mm?
Looks near enough.
The shoulder - someone mentioned insetting it by 3.1mm not 3.0mm - allowing the use of a paper shim? Good idea, bad idea? I think the shoulder should be the same depth for both Aluminium and MS - allowing folks to use rings\discs interchangeably.
I hope the shoulder depth will be the same for both Aluminium and MS, and the slightly deeper recess on the plate also seems a good idea.

chris_d":y1epjtk2 said:
Hi Dibs,

Thanks again for all your hard work in facilitating this opportunity!

A minor comment on your dimensioning style - the use of a fixed datum point is encouraged from which all other dimensions are referenced to prevent acculmulation errors?

Apologies if you know this and were just showing a quick sketch.

Cheers,
C

Yep - quick and dirty springs to mind. The dimensions are more for you lot - the cutters are likely to want a dwg\dxf without dimensions or any text labels.

I'll change the dia of the pin holes this eve.

Are folks happy with dia of the internal holes of the 2 discs? 30mm & 5mm?

Back