Router table insert

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the rare earth magnets are a cracking idea. Quick check on the Bay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Super-Strong-Rare ... 4ceba95797

peanuts. If we had holes done for the rare earth magnets - do you not think we should make the holes a tad bit smaller and go for an inteference fit (warm up the plate, pop the magnet in and once cooled down - sorted)?

Shoulder 12mm wide - can be done as can the depth of the cut. Whatever the majority fancy. If we fell into 1/2 want a full depth shoulder and 1/2 wanted a "shimable" one, then I'm sure we could have 2 types, but not really any more than 2 depths of cut.

wizer":3cjmjjrb said:
I'm in no rush, so if anyone's coming to the bash in spring, I'd be happy to combine postage.

Tom - as you are round the corner from me, we could double up on postage!?

Dave

wobblycogs":1k00qfw3 said:
...I'd be happy to hold onto plates for people till they can collect them.

Hi WC,

Please can I take up your offer if this pans out since I work near Gloucester?

Cheers,
C

Daven":zgkgidtx said:
wizer":zgkgidtx said:
I'm in no rush, so if anyone's coming to the bash in spring, I'd be happy to combine postage.

Tom - as you are round the corner from me, we could double up on postage!?

Dave

oh yes. good idea

Magnets on the insert plates are a good idea, but make sure that they are a long way from the router bit. I would have plastic insert plates. Have you seen what people do to their guide bushes!

Certainly Chris that would be fine. As someone said it will probably be the same price to ship one as two so we could split the cost or I might be able to fetch them if it's not too far.

Option 3 - mild steel for plates and rings seems to be almost everyone. For those that are interested in the set and haven't spoken up - please vote. I wouldn't want anyone to feel they've been rail-roaded or anything.

Dibs.

To be honest I'd rather be led. Not used a table before and not sure what the benefits of each would be. I'll be happy with whatever is decided, I won't have known any better!

Think I said before I have a pillar drill and in law has taps (is that right?) so not a problem if this is required.

Matt if you want to combine postage with me and Daven, I'm sure I'll be coming down to see Simon at some point. I could bring it down with me. I imagine we could get three plates posted for £8 to one destination.

I think I'll bow out as mild steel seems to be the consensus and I would guess that the postage to Southern Ireland will be pretty astronomic. Also I have a lot of problems battling rust in the workshop already! Thanks for all your hard work, Dibs, looks like you'll have plenty of takers anyway.

Cheers,
Neil

I've still got to measure the base of my DeWalt 626 to check the size.

Apart from that I want the strongest (preferably most rust proof) solution. I can drill and tap holes (bosch cobalt drill bits are only a few quid from B&Q) (decent quality taps are only a few quid off ebay). Not sure about countersinking but am happy with the challenge.

I'd prefer something that doesn't require magnets (in general I hate the things).

Cost isn't a great issue as I only intend to buy once. I don't like delivery charges so I'd look at joining with others for a batch delivery (if we can put together a location list I can then see the easiest/best place to have mine delivered - based on family or toolstores or anywhere else that I have an excuse to travel to).

Not sure where that leaves me with the vote. Would be happy with somebody telling me what I need given the above criteria (mainly strength).

Cheers,

Dave

Just to start off a postage location list....can you add to the list:

Gloucester - DustyDave

Now I'm back from Paris I'm glad I spotted this thread. I need to build a new router table over the winter.
So I'm in for one. Would prefer mild steel but will go with the flow.

Option 3, will also be happy to drill and tap. I would go for 3mm inserts.

Thanks

Jeremy

Lord Nibbo":1yytvtkp said:
Like Neil I don't want another another machine I have to clean rust off, so if it is to be steel (option 3) I'll bow out too.

Just because the majority are wanting mild steel - I wouldn't "bow out" right now. Just state you'd prefer either aluminium (which I'd suspect, or Stainless).

That would be at least 2 sets - we just need another 8 to get the min of 10 sets required for the cutters to do it. It doesn't really bother me if we end up with 2 types - i.e. mild steel for 1 group and Aluminium for the other.

So I'll put your 2 names down for at least 2 sets in Aluminium? Just need to find the other 8 - anyone else for aluminium?

I couldn't really care whether it's Aluminium or Steel - so you could put me down for Al.
I'd prefer not SS as that's a sod to work with if you need to alter something in future.

Back