Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in a crisis as a country with high fuel bills, going into a recession and high inflation with a muppet for a PM and we want to shut the country down, that really makes sound financial sense does it not. Are all businesses expected to pay staff for the extra holiday, and like it or not that virus has not gone away either, yet we are packing the crowds in so maybe cycling is a good option to get out into the open away from the masses.

We are in a crisis as a country with high fuel bills, going into a recession and high inflation with a muppet for a PM and we want to shut the country down, that really makes sound financial sense does it not. Are all businesses expected to pay staff for the extra holiday, and like it or not that virus has not gone away either, yet we are packing the crowds in so maybe cycling is a good option to get out into the open away from the masses.
Keep the peasantry compliant is far more important than that! ;)

I expect it was a subject of much debate on the best way to sharpen the beheading axe.

sharpening tools would have been just taken for granted back then, there would have been so many people with the ability and a very important part of living that most would be sharpening tools as kids.

Something the french were better at, at least more efficient because they had the guilotine and could do batch beheading whereas we had to rely on a persons stamina and skills.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...cling-in-queens-funeral-u-turn-after-ridiculeNo cycling? I'll be out there come rain or shine! That's what bank holidays are for - not staying in and crouching in front of the telly!
It's getting a bit OTT all this funeral stuff. Boring me stiff (no pun intended!)
The (non mainstream) media seem to think the BBC has gone completely bonkers.
I actually have a 100km mountain bike trail which I hoped to ride. But it has a fair few farm tracks (public bridle way in this case) and though I started planning to ride it on Monday, I'm having slight second thoughts in case I'm met by a 'patriot' whilst on his/her land...

Hope you have a lovely ride Jacob... Mine is called the Northpeaks100 in case you wanted the gpx track for it.

Day in London paying respects...
PXL_20220914_134825498.jpg

FOMO - fear of missing out.

A once in a lifetime opportunity to react to the death of a monarch. Queues around 2.5 miles long for the lying in state experience - to see a box. For the media it is the first chance in 70 years.

A bit like toilet rolls - speculate they will be extinct and the supermarket shelves are cleared. Fuel deliveries delayed - queue for a few hours in case the next petrol tanker is the last.

And failing to participate in the game means your grandchildren will never know the emotional trauma you experienced and can tell them about in decades to come.

We will all remember the days the supermarkets, football, cricket, banks closed as a mark of respect.

This may all sound very anti Liz - quite the reverse - she is to be admired having lived a life embracing the good and is deserving of considerable respect.

But the whole business has become a triumph of cynical emotional rhetoric which has swamped decent and measured celebration of a life well lived.

There are ways to remember and celebrate a life with open and honest dialect but there is a line where it becomes toxic and obviously being done for the wrong reasons. If a person is that well known and respected then few words are really needed to get the message across, going into a sales pitch gives the impression you are trying to sell the idea to the masses and drum up support so not a good time for the news channels especially the bbc.

I actually have a 100km mountain bike trail which I hoped to ride. But it has a fair few farm tracks (public bridle way in this case) and though I started planning to ride it on Monday, I'm having slight second thoughts in case I'm met by a 'patriot' whilst on his/her land...
They'll all be inside glued to the telly.
Hope you have a lovely ride Jacob... Mine is called the Northpeaks100 in case you wanted the gpx track for it.
Sounds good. Actually I've not been on the bike since hip replacement op but Monday should be good for it.

What amazing nonsense!
British colonialism sought to exploit the rest of the world for whatever it could get and in the process spread death and destruction, with total genocide in some parts.
How could anybody not be aware of this and still nurture a Boys' Own fantasy view of history?
What do you imagine the early explorers were after - spreading civilisation and enlightenment? Quite the opposite they were after wealth; gold, silver, slaves, land and treated native populations brutally.
A view from down under:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ask-me-for-my-truth-about-british-colonialism

I wonder if any monarch actually felt any guilt over being the head of a country that committed what was in fact genocide.

Quote from above talking about Australia

The institutions that British colonisation brought here, from the education that erases us to the prisons that kill us, are designed to destroy the oldest living culture in the world. That’s the legacy of the crown in this country.

The “British empire” declared a war on these shores, against this country’s First Nations peoples. This led to massacres. And you want a minute’s silence from me?

So I would bet that now shes gone Australia may well decide to drop the crown, save charles at his age from long haul travel.

I've never understood why any Country would want a foreign monarch as its head of state. I remember being in a predominantly Maori bar in NZ when the queen was mentioned. How shall I say ...... they were less than impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back