Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is beginning to be some interesting anti-BBC backlash around the internet now, over their incredibly repetitive and at times inane coverage of the E II death. It seems their mission is to interview anyone who has ever met the queen, or charley. It's quite the most tedious and excessive display I've encountered. I've just had to switch of woman's hour because even that does constant queenie.

Am I on the wrong forum? ... I've not heard wood mentioned for ages????
We have all missed a trick, we could have earned ourselves some good cash to help fund our woodworking and offset the increased cost of materials.

Yes it is a woodworking forum so why did we not think about making souvenirs for this occasion, I was thinking of a piece of stone to mimic the floor of westminster with a nice little wooden coffin on some tressles draped in a flag and yours for fifty quid.

There is beginning to be some interesting anti-BBC backlash around the internet now, over their incredibly repetitive and at times inane coverage of the E II death. It seems their mission is to interview anyone who has ever met the queen, or charley. It's quite the most tedious and excessive display I've encountered. I've just had to switch of woman's hour because even that does constant queenie.
I did hear that the BBC's viewing/listening figures plummeted after Diana's death because of the blanket coverage.

The BBC has mentioned wood many, many times. I have been informed by the brutally boring corporation that the E II coffin is made of oak. They did not say whether this is english oak, french oak (a lot is) or special german oak to match the german hearse.

Hopefully now people will start to question the BBC license fee again and ask what gives them the right to take money from everyone owning a Tv even if they don't watch BBC or only stream. Think of the cost of all that shiete they are spewing across our screens.

Hopefully now people will start to question the BBC license fee again and ask what gives them the right to take money from everyone owning a Tv even if they don't watch BBC or only stream.
They don't.

Some research suggests that queenie was measured up for her box 30 years ago and it is made of english oak. Some twerp from the funeral directors says it would be too expensive to use english oak today, as if the coffin cost is more than a drop in the ocean for this state affair. It's lead lined as well apparently and has a reinforced lid so that heavy stuff like crowns can be put on it.

It's lead lined as well apparently and has a reinforced lid so that heavy stuff like crowns can be put on it.
Having a non refrigerated body laying around for such a period of time must cause concerns, it is probably sealed so nothing seeps out when it is being moved around or causes a smell in westminster.

Waiting for the (delayed) 6 O'Clock news on BBC last night, I spent 15 mins watching a large plane taxi on a runway, no meaningful commentary, nothing else happening. Once the news finally came on, yes, the first 2/3 was dedicated to the same subject. Eventually, we got a bit of news about what was happening in the rest of the world.
I can't help think the unending, largely meaningless and frequently silly coverage tells us something important about our relationship to the monarchy, and that it could well turn many further away from tolerating the institution.

watching a large plane taxi on a runway
or a convoy driving for miles through scotland, for me I am amazed at some people on Tv that actually believe the monarch rules the country and has done so much for them, they don't actually say what. I can see the concept is quaint and gives people something to cling onto but we do have Charles and at some point this will all be repeated when we get William and she was just like you, me or anyone else in that you eventually die, like it or not.

The BBC has mentioned wood many, many times. I have been informed by the brutally boring corporation that the E II coffin is made of oak. They did not say whether this is english oak, french oak (a lot is) or special german oak to match the german hearse.
American white oak to keep up the special relationship we both have

She was probably the first monarch to have a german hearse, before her they might have been British like Bently or rolls which goes to say a lot about our country today.

I bet the block used for head removal in the tower would have been English oak.

Could have been oak veneered MDF for all we know.
Impossible, we all know what happens to MDF when it gets wet and you don't want her falling out the bottom do we, I am talking of internal seepage from her remains but then the lead is there for that so I wonder how the box was jointed, dowels, domino's or traditional dovetails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back