Queen Elizabeth has passed away.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the monarchy is becoming the new sharpening topic, lets just accept we are all different and with different views and that some people are for and others are not in favour of the monarchy. If Charles reshapes the organisation and gives it a facelift then maybe it might be more palatable to more people and not so controversial, also what is the alternative? If you think of what has happened in politics we have wished for no more Boris but look at what we now have, I bet many would have different views had they known we would have ended up with that smirking nasty piece of work as PM and the same could be the case if we change the monarchy, out of the pan and into the fire. So what part of the monarchy is most disliked, bearing in mind that they have no input into the running of the country and therefore any impact on our own lives what is it that gets people so wound up? If it is financial then maybe immigration should be targeted first because that is just pure expense on tax payers with zero returns.

Shame this thread has been hijacked by some and moved away from what the OP clearly intended.

If the questions posed by @Spectric are where it's headed I'd humbly suggest it should head off into the dark web portion of the forum as I see those as political and contentious matters.

Agreed best to keep this thread on condolences and the events of the funeral...

What is contentious about a discussion regarding the monarchy, we are not planing on treason or toppling the king just what people think and people are allowed to have their views on any subject even if they are 180° from our own. To have everyone facing the same direction would mean we are ruled by a different political system.

What is contentious about a discussion regarding the monarchy, we are not planing on treason or toppling the king just what people think and people are allowed to have their views on any subject even if they are 180° from our own. To have everyone facing the same direction would mean we are ruled by a different political system.
Well for starters the fact that you've sought to bring immigration and your view of the current PM into it?

What that is saying is nothing more than don't change something unless you know what is replacing it, ie better the devil you know than one you don't.

2 leaders imposed on us undemocratically, in the same week!
At least Truss had a few thousand geriatric tories voting for her.
Not sure why we have Charley at all. Monarchy is said to be a tourist attraction but he isn't that attractive IMHO.
Is it a GB takeover by a small faction of geriatrics? :cool:
I'm one myself but they've obviously left me off their mailing list.
Doesn't bode well.

Last edited:
This is not the place to express your religious ideals.
Is it the fact that it is not a christian expression, that you target me specifically? After all, all those who express she RIP etc are expressing a specifically christian religious belief and saying, why are you not trying to bring them to task? Perchance you are just a hypocrite.

Folk, calm down, stick to the topic (within reason) and carry on.

Charles and Camilla just went past me in Royal Car. He was no more than 6 feet away. Looked as happy as Larry, smiling and waving. Not much sadness in view.

Well, If you had been waiting since you were 21 for a promotion, and finally that day arrives over half a century later, you would be quite cheerful too! He gets his name in the history books and benefits from a short surge in positive public opinion. He can also legitimately boss his younger brother Andy about now.

For those who wish the thread would stay on the track they prefer, it might be worth what the original poster (an administrator in the US who seeks to promote forum traffic - just saying that as an aside) said this:

"I wish all her family and the nation much sympathy and may the change over be smooth."

References to a "change over" could be construed as inviting discussion about that. It is unreasonable, surely, to assume that everyone thinks it is acceptable to have no democratic process whatsoever for this change. Not everyone wishes to regard an unelected person to be their "liege lord". This is a feudal concept that assumes power over "subjects" and people who believe in a democratic process may not wish to be a subject of anyone.

Discussion of that is not in any sense disrespectful to a dead queen.

A lot on SM asking if stamps are still able to be used and, worse, are notes still legal tender...............

On a positive note - it seems King Charles is not actually spaniel, but he is a committed environmentalist, which contrasts with "his" government which has a majority of climate change deniers.
He's unusual amongst mega rich land owners as counter measures inevitably will involve high taxation. I expect they'll make him change his mind and treat him more like a spaniel.

Charles and Camilla just went past me in Royal Car. He was no more than 6 feet away. Looked as happy as Larry, smiling and waving. Not much sadness in view.

someone must've cleared the dash off or maybe the seats!! I hear he gets unhappy if people leave his messes in place.

(actually, I have no issue with that - if the guy is supposed to be king, why would people want him screwing around cleaning his desk? if I were super loaded and making decisions or needing to be fresh of mind, I'd pay someone else to do all of that stuff, too)

As the former Aberdeenshire reporter with the local daily newspaper. I often attended royal events across the area from the days of the Royal Yacht and the Royal Train arriving in Aberdeen to events at Balmoral.
One Balmoral day a photographer and I were at the private entrance to the castle. I was chatting to the duty police officer and the photographer had wandered off as we had been there some time reporting family coming and goings. Suddenly the Queen appeared walking just a few yards away walking her labradors and wearing the most shabby well-worn long coat, large muddy wellies and a headscarf.
The photographer appeared and said - "What a photo!" - but then added -"My God, I've locked the camera in the car boot!" By the time he came back the Queen had waved and disappeared towards the castle, and the policeman and I were having a good laugh. We both just wanted her to enjoy her walk in peace.

Why should the monarch not be allowed to have opinions, political or otherwise. If he dislikes what his parliament is doing to his people then he should have the right to speak out, the same with the enviroment because he has grand kids and must worry about the future they will have to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back