Pre-machine age household tool kits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
The main reason that there is such a wealth of hand tools available on the second hand market is clearly the switch from manual to electrical devices during the latter half of the last century. The simultaneous rise of consumerism has also probably meant that the average householder is now likely to nip down to the likes of Ikea if a bit of furniture is broken (as opposed to repairing it) or if something new is needed (as opposed to making it oneself).

It’s probably not unreasonable to believe that the knowledge, skills and experience of woodworking are less common than they once were. This has also probably been compounded by what is (not) taught in schools these days.

This all led me to wondering what the typical tool kit of the pre-DIY machine age looked like up to say, the 1950s. By this I mean the sort of kit that a bloke would have in his house if he did not regard himself as a hobby woodworker but did have the set of skills which would have been regarded as universal in those days.

My guess is (and this is a complete guess) it would have looked something like:

A rip saw.
No 4 plane.
2 or 3 chisels around the ¾” to 1¼” range.
Two foot four fold rule
Eggbeater drill plus set of bits.
Spirit level
Hammer
Set of screwdrivers

I’m sure that hobbyist woodworkers would have had much more comprehensive kits and I’m equally sure that there will be people on here who will be able to enhance the above list from memory (as opposed to speculation). Incidentally, were tools in those days more expensive or cheaper than now in terms of disposable income?

... an old biscuit tin full of every nut/bolt/washer/screw/nail that he's ever come across.

Plus:
Nail pulling pliers
Standard pliers with wire cutters
Nail punch
Short steel rule
set square

Lots of people had a brace and bit set. My dad had a Stanley hand drill with a shoulder brace. Also had a pair of trestles that had seen a lot of service.

Yes, a star drill. The rip would probably have been a crosscut, I'd have thought. Blunt.
I doubt very much the nail punch. I've managed fifty years without one - and I've used a sight more nails than most people would have. :D

NazNomad":1i2q8nfr said:
... an old biscuit tin full of every nut/bolt/washer/screw/nail that he's ever come across.

I still have one of those except it's grown into a large drawer :oops:

I have just come up in the world - mine are now in cut down 6pt. milk cartons, one for washers, one for nuts, one for set screws and bolts and one for everything not in those categories. It took me about two hours to sort forty five years of hoarding.

Hi Andy

I would tend to think of the "Pre-Machine Age" to be before the start of the industrial revolution, so late 18th Century? I'm not totally sure what a working class toolkit would look like, however one would assume it would be pretty simple. I would assume someone further up the pecking order would of just paid someone to do it.

If you're wondering what an average working class home had for hand tools before the post WW2 rise of power tools then I would surmise not much. Again, if you were further up the pecking order I would assume you'd pay someone to do it. My Grandparents were Farmers or Carpenters so there was an extensive array of hand tools hanging around. However if they weren't Farmers or Carpenters I would think they'd have the basics, hammer, saw, screwdriver, brace and bits and a plane that would be used now and again and the classic tubs of "useful stuff".

Interestingly, my maternal grandfather, a tenant farmer, who passed in 2003 aged 76 never made furniture in his spare time. He'd repair bit's I guess. My paternal grandfather, a professional woodworker made some nice pieces.

I like you're point on schools, it'd be great to see students have the opportunity to follow their talents in to more diverse fields rather than herded into a mainstream education. More Technical Colleges, Grammar schools etc. Thank heaven the for industrial revolution though, it means I enjoy a quality of life far above what my ancestors did. I can even make furniture, for fun, in my spare time!

I have inherited my father's quality street tin of odd screws and nails etc, also the American WW2 helmet that my Grandfather kept his odd screws and nails in etc. Both got raided the other day for some odd bronze screws.

phil.p":21000g1c said:
"Interestingly, my maternal grandfather, a tenant farmer, who passed in 2003 aged 76 never made furniture in his spare time."
Interesting indeed - my maternal grandfather never made furniture in his, either. :D

I'm about to apply for a funding grant to study this! :lol: He did like watching boxing on ITV, I recall watching the Ben vs Eubank fights with him. He also liked his work and was kind enough to involve me in the work when I was on summer holiday. The most archaic thing we did was cut weeds on the very, very steep pasture with a scythe. He did upgrade to an aluminium body scythe and the wood bodied one was left in the shed. One example how the industrial world made even scythe use easier!

One of the last things I did with him before he retired was making hedges. Combination of Billhook, Trimming Hook, Chainsaw and Penknife! We got there in a tractor, before tractors were invented we'd of walked or rode a horse :D

I thought planes were (and are) quite expensive, so doubt a non specailist would have one. I don't know, just guessing.

1950s household tool kit. I remember it well; one hammer, one adjustable spanner, one dumbbell type bike spanner, one or two screwdrivers, one blunt tenon saw, one blunt woody jack plane. one blunt axe for firewood.

NB nothing archaic about cutting weeds with a scythe - they are much quicker and easier* to use than strimmers but there's a bit of a knack. Only a bit, not a lot.

*PS and quieter, cheaper to buy, zero running costs, and last for life maintenance free except for frequent (easy) sharpening. I've got my grandparents scythes and they should be good for several more generations! (just weeds; garden and allotment use, no hay making etc ).

No issue using a scythe, easier in respect that it's always ready to go if you're physically able. The "knack" is easily learned by a child ( myself as an example ). Archaic did not not infer inappropriate, in fact it was the archaic method that was most appropriate.

Agree strongly that most household stuff would be blunt too. Nothing that and infinite amount of time and sharpening mediums couldn't resolve......

G S Haydon":eg2pg51q said:
No issue using a scythe, easier in respect that it's always ready to go if you're physically able. The "knack" is easily learned by a child ( myself as an example ). Archaic did not not infer inappropriate, in fact it was the archaic method that was most appropriate.

Agree strongly that most household stuff would be blunt too. Nothing that and infinite amount of time and sharpening mediums couldn't resolve......
I don't recall a sharpening stone of any sort! Must have been the step.
I'm a bit of a scythe fan - I can get around my allotment in less time than it'd take to put petrol in a strimmer, and without the need for ear plugs , mask, helmet etc etc.

Think of this poor sod on a sunny day!;

product_full_220.jpeg

G S Haydon":2k9inhcj said:

Most household stuff would be blunt? haven't you heard of a doorstep? :D

Jacob, love the fact you have a picture of a chap using a strimmer to hand :). Totally agree on your point though.

Blooming hell, the chisel was so blunt you had to use a doorstep instead! Reflecting further, I can remember my grandfathers would always make sure the carving knife was sharp for the Sunday roast though. Household priorities :) . Having said that one of them bought an electric carving knife, as a young child I can remember be actually frightened by the racket it made. I think a chainsaw would of made a nicer job :)

My dad had an oilstone. However, to be fair he was an engineer and had a lot of tools. Armfuls of files, spanners, different kind of hammers, feeler gauges, His first electric drill was a black and yellow Stanley, which I still remember fondly.

AJB Temple":204k5y48 said:
My dad had an oilstone. However, to be fair he was an engineer and had a lot of tools. Armfuls of files, spanners, different kind of hammers, feeler gauges, His first electric drill was a black and yellow Stanley, which I still remember fondly.
My dad was a geography teacher but he fancied woodwork and would bring tools home from school, some of which never found their way back. I've still got a school "Razee" type woody and a few bits n bobs from then.
His biggest project was fitting out the kitchen with hardboard nailed onto 2x1" frames. He made some nice things when he was a school kid - several turned bowls etc. which I've still got.

Back