recommend me a tool kit for teens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Already made bench hooks, was indeed an ecellent first project, now moving on to a shelf to hook over a side-screen (pupil's idea) and then a heavy storage box - all materials very kindly donated by a local joinery. Am undecided about pull-saws because, yes, they are easier to use, but as we want to prepare our puils for the future, a more traditional saw might be better to teach with as that is what they are more likely to encounter outside of school

When we did woodwork class the first thing we made was a small wooden boat planed to size/point end is miter cut slot cut 2 numbers /half ing joint dowel for funnel/dowel joint rear curved to form stern
The very basics that all woodworkers learn
All tools stored in there own rack with dust pan and brush no one left till all cleaned down and all tools accounted for
Wood was donated by joinery firms /old school desks tools were sharpend by teacher had same tools 30 plus years
He turn out some of the best joiners in the town
Joinery firms loved him genes the donation of wood

Does your institution have a trade account with a bulk purchasing organisation, or an industrial supplier like Cromwell's they might be worth looking at.

Already made bench hooks, was indeed an ecellent first project, now moving on to a shelf to hook over a side-screen (pupil's idea) and then a heavy storage box - all materials very kindly donated by a local joinery. Am undecided about pull-saws because, yes, they are easier to use, but as we want to prepare our puils for the future, a more traditional saw might be better to teach with as that is what they are more likely to encounter outside of school

Pull saws can be awesome but they won't work with traditional bench hooks unless you clamp the wood to the hook. They are thinner steel too and even a little bend from someone heavy handed and they can start misbehaving. Definitely easier on the hands though and good for teaching keeping the saw vertical.

but as we want to prepare our pupils for the future, a more traditional saw might be better to teach with as that is what they are more likely to encounter outside of school
I think it's only 60 yr old joiners who buy standard saws,, or you get one in B&Q to cut down something to fit in the car. Nowhere anyone works is going to specify what type of saw they have.

"but they won't work with traditional bench hooks unless you clamp the wood to the hook. "

Most bench hook operations are narrow strips, easily supported by a thumb.

I think it's only 60 yr old joiners who buy standard saws,, or you get one in B&Q to cut down something to fit in the car. Nowhere anyone works is going to specify what type of saw they have.

"but they won't work with traditional bench hooks unless you clamp the wood to the hook. "

Most bench hook operations are narrow strips, easily supported by a thumb.
Really I think 90% of handsaws brought are hardpoint, 5% traditional sharpenable, 5% Japanese pullsaws???

So teaching then to use a pull saw isn't preparing them for the big wide world?

the hardpoint saw's I've used often have too wide a set, at least with a trad saw you can easily sharpen it and change the set.

Depends on your world view. I work with staff who barely recognise a saw, never mind realise there are types of saw. I will be training them in safe and correct use . Our pupils need to learn to live independently not to do fine joinery. Cutting straight and safe practice is where we are now. Hopefully we can develop everyone’s skills as we go, but right now, we are working with “this is a saw and this is how to use it”

Depends on your world view. I work with staff who barely recognise a saw, never mind realise there are types of saw. I will be training them in safe and correct use . Our pupils need to learn to live independently not to do fine joinery. Cutting straight and safe practice is where we are now. Hopefully we can develop everyone’s skills as we go, but right now, we are working with “this is a saw and this is how to use it”
I've been trying to teach dovetails to sone out if work / MH guys challenging to say the least!

Some guys just get sawing and are away others don't for years, but give them a paint brush or demolition and they are as happy as pigs in mud!

Back