Kitting out a new Workspace, what are tool recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

Starting out (again) and building a new workspace in my shed. I am interested in getting quality tools where they matter most, and to replace some of the cheap stuff I have, and have a preference for power tools over hand tools (I know, some purists may disagree but I am not the most skilled with handtools).

I currently have what's listed below. My goals are first to build a workbench and kit my shed out with shelving, pegboards etc, then my first project will be some floorstanding speaker cabinets. Thereafter i hope to build some study desks, shelves for the house, a chest of drawers etc. The speakers will be from mdf or ply, so will be working with sheet goods, and later will work with hardwood planks.

- Mafell plunge saw and tracks (not yet purchased)
- Bench drill (lidl)
- Cheap table saw (Lidl)
- Handheld drill and impact driver (Makita)
- A benchtop bandsaw from Fox, that I bought cheap but it looks beyond economic repair
- Handheld Makita Sander (not a belt, nor ROS, to be honest I am not sure of the type!, it was less than 120GBP)
-Cheap Chinese made 10" Sliding Mitre Saw
- Dowelmax jig
- Makita Router (1/4 and 3/8 inch) and one Trend Pro flush bit.
- Various clamps (mostly Irwin Quick Grip), Squares, Vernier Callipers, Wooden Mallet.

Here's what I think I need to add:
-Planer /Thicknesser (I think this is a must if I want to avoid hand planes?)
- Quality Tablesaw (would the Axminster Hobby Series be adequate, and nicely compliment the Mafell Plunge saw?)
-More Clamps, accurate straight edge, more measuring and marking tools

Any advice?

Really depends on what amount of space you have, and what you envision making down the line.

It pays to get a good quality Planer Thicknesser if you have got space for one, Something like a secondhand Wadkin, Multico or Sedgwick won't set you back much more than a new "hobby" quality machine for something that would be built to last the rest of your life. It's literally the first machine (besides a saw perhaps) that sees the timber, so being able to get nice, straight and square planks easily just makes the rest of the processes much easier and satisfying. After putting up with a cheapy planer thicknesser for a long time, I had wished I had just put down the money for something better so much sooner. With a budget of £1000 you should get something pretty nice, you might even get a pretty good deal for less money.

A good belt sander and random orbital sander are also a sound investment. Once a piece has been planed with a power planer you have what some call a "washboard" effect on your timber, so having a belt sander to remove the washboard effect and a random orbital sander to finish your work to a high standard is a must really. My personal recommendations would be a Makita 9404 belt sander and a Makita BO6030 random orbital sander.

I wouldn't say that, I guess its hand planes really that are the problem for me. Never had much luck with them!

Back