new member Introduction - Max Mancino from Italy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Mancino

Reaction score
Dear UK workshop's members,

I would like to thank Mr. Dovetail for wellkoming me to UKworkshop.

Greetings to all the members.

A brief indroduction on who I am.
I practice woodworking as a hobby, mostly using hand tools only. I learnt most of what I know through Paul Sellers website. I
am into the hobby since 10-ish years. I love to use vintage tools, which I also love to refurbish. I don't have many plugged tools because my workshop is in a garage at the -2 floor (poor ventilation and lack of enough space). I will sometime move from my current home to a place in the country, and my dream is to build my own workshop, where I will have enough room for a few machines (my first priority is a bandsaw then a lathe then, maybe, a thickness planer and, maybe, a table saw).
I am currently learning the basics of Winsor Chair building techniques (and I built some of the required tools). I'd love to build my own shavehorse, but the endeavour is probably going to be delayed to after my relocation.

I attached a few pics of whay I am doing lately.

All the best to you all,

Max.

Attachments

• 20240330_164009.jpg
    20240330_164009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240314_114029.jpg
    20240314_114029.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Welcome, I do like your tenon cutter I have a spokeshave iron set aside to make one myself when I get round to it
Thanks rob1693,

The tenon cutter worked ok but I eventually improved it to the MAKE II. The MAKE I is based on a web page of Peter Galbert. The cutting angle was a little steep though, and in some oak tenons I cut, it showed a tendency to tear the wood fibers.

I subsequently retrofitted to the MAKE II (see the pic below), posting the iron (a Stanley #4 1/2 blade and its chip breaker) with the bevel up.

I used the same piece of timber of the MAKE I, posting the blade on the opposite side of the provisions I built for the MAKE I (which remained in situ, therefore granting the convenient possibility to have two tools in one).

The MAKE II, in my experience, not only tears much less but it is also softer on the wood, meaning that you don't need as much momentum to rotate the legs while "sharpening" the tenons. The MAKE II was also derived from an article I read on the WWW (Tim Manney's blog page available here: http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com/2015/06/use-your-reamer-to-make-matching-tenon.html).

As I wrote, MAKE II works much better on hardwoods thank MAKE I. I didn't try the MAKE I on softwoods though. It might still work well and provide the additional convenience of being able to tune the depth of cut with the depth adjusting wheel of the 4 1/2 frog. Nevertheless, the MAKE II can also be easily adjusted by gently tapping the iron with a hammer.

All the best to you Rob.

Attachments

• 20240317_tenon_sharpener.jpg
    20240317_tenon_sharpener.jpg
    562.7 KB · Views: 0
Ciao Max e benvenuto. Ci piacerebbe vedere work-in-progress foto per le sedie!

Welcome to our virtual man shed!
Ciao Jcassidy,

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately, I am pretty far from building a chair. I lack the required space for a shavehorse, for riving and splitting greenwood, not to talk about the difficulties of sourcing green wood or the space for the required systems for steam bending and localised wood tenon drying box.

Also I do not own a lathe. All of these dreams will have to be postponed to after my retirement I guess. Nevertheless, I am reading and experimenting a little.

Also, whenever I gain access to some vintage green woodworking tools at cheap prices (scorps, drawknives, froes etc), I don't refrain from securing them. I am starting to get used to them and to refurbish/sharpen up a few of them.

In case you are interested in this beautiful craft, great resources can be found online for free (authors on youtube and on paper are Peter Galbert, Tim Manney, Curtis Buchanan, Peter Follansbee etc). I sometime follow Mr. Harry Rogers from UK. And I read the book of Jennie Alexander: "Make a chair from a tree".

All the best to you,

Max.

Hi Max. Looks like I'm another fan of your tenon cutters. I love the development from MARK 1 to 2.
Welcome to the board.
Thanks Rob,

Cheers to you and here you go a couple of pics
20240413_143504.jpg
with the final result of the whole tenon and mortase cutting thing.

Best regards,

Max.

Attachments

• 20240413_143437.jpg
    20240413_143437.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see tools made that are functional and honest rather than fancy and pretty.
Just so you know Dovetail is a she and not a Mr. ;) and probably got a chuckle out of it.

Pete

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see tools made that are functional and honest rather than fancy and pretty.
Just so you know Dovetail is a she and not a Mr. ;) and probably got a chuckle out of it.

Pete
Whops...

Thank you for letting me know Pete... I am so embarrassed...

I was fooled by the fact that I recently subscribed to a youtube channel administered by Mr. Tim Dovetail (he collects lots of fantastic videos on our craft. He was a person from another time. Peace to his soul.

Lately, I kept wondering if the administrator of the aforementioned YT channel was our administrator too. Evidently this is not the case....
Mnemonic note to myself: I'll have to make it up to Mrs. Dovetail.

Anyways, in case you wanted to take a look at it, I wanted to tell you that in the YT page of Tim Dovetail you can watch a series of videos, including those of Mr. Jim Kingshott, who was a very skilled classic carpentry craftsman. In his videos he illustrated the traditional techniques of woodworking with great patience and extreme knowledge.

I particularly recommend to our administrator this video: in which, in fact, Mr. Kingshott shows the construction of the dovetail joints.

All the best Pete and Ms. Dovetail.

I was fooled by the fact that I recently subscribed to a youtube channel administered by Mr. Tim Dovetail (he collects lots of fantastic videos on our craft. He was a person from another time. Peace to his soul.
Edit to my text above.. should read as follows...

"I was fooled by the fact that I recently subscribed to a youtube channel administered by Mr. Tim Dovetail (he collects lots of fantastic videos on our craft, to include some videos of Jim Kingshott who was a person from another time. Peace to his soul".

Back