recommend me a tool kit for teens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a beginners carpentry kit in a box or tool-box. I need decent quaity basic tools, not nonsesne or gimics - for group work or solo work in a small special needs class on a shared/public site. It needs to be able to be packed away. The boss has asked for a set rather than me assembling a tool-kit in a concertina box. Pupils will be closely supervised by adults who know less than them as I am the only woodworker on site and will not always be available. We do not have a sturdy bench, so engineers vices and bench-hooks are the order of the day. The sort of technical level will be measure/cut/glue and screw/pin together. Any recomendations would be gratefully received. Am thinking we need hammer, saw, plane/rasp, chisel, mallet, marking gauge, squares/sliding bevels - we currenly have a hand-drill, 2 screwdrivers, files and 2 junior hack saws.

Last edited:
I'd probably add in coping saw and spokeshave, obviously it depends what they're making.

Having to buy a kit rather than make up a selection is an annoying limitation, you'll always end up with items you don't need, or of a quality that you can't use. I'd suggest a halfway house of one brand or colour of tool and a case with shadow foam.

I need a beginners carpentry kit in a box or tool-box. I need decent quaity basic tools, not nonsesne or gimics - for group work or solo work in a small special needs class on a shared/public site. It needs to be able to be packed away. The boss has asked for a set rather than me assembling a tool-kit in a concertina box. Pupils will be closely supervised by adults who know less than them as I am the only woodworker on site and will not always be available. We do not have a sturdy bench, so engineers vices and bench-hooks are the order of the day. The sort of technical level will be measure/cut/glue and screw/pin together. Any recomendations would be gratefully received. Am thinking we need hammer, saw, plane/rasp, chisel, mallet, marking gauge, squares/sliding bevels - we currenly have a hand-drill, 2 screwdrivers, files and 2 junior hack saws.
Hi Andrew

We have met - I'm just up the road. If you end up putting a kit together, I have some bits you can have. A set of chisels (Aldi or Lidl) as recomended by Paul Sellers, a plane, a marking gauge I think, and I might have some other bits - let me know

Steve

I taught secondary school Technology etc for 35 years, so I would go with a master kit that includes screwdrivers etc and your individual sets. So here a start for the individual sets-
bench hook
3 x bevel edge chisels
mallet
square
sliding bevel
pin hammer
pincers
300mm rule and a couple of pencils
coping saw
tenon saw - buy hardpoint but you must try first and not get the cheapest. These were the most difficult item we found to buy as some were very aggressive with the set and near unusable.
no 4 plane
rasps if doing curved work, we found the younger students found spoke shaves very difficult to use.

Colin

The "set" request seems nonsensical.
The "boss" will be asking for some reason that makes sense to him/her without understanding that it's a not a good idea.
I always challenge requests like that so that I can understand why, and try to educate both of us.
Most likely, they imagine a set in some sort of fitted box that simply makes it harder to lose a tool when packing up.

Think of the likely tasks. If we are talking beginners supervised by the unskilled, then even planes and chisels may be a step too far. You don't have a bench to hold the work properly and no one will know how to keep them sharp. They won't work and the students will get discouraged. If the projects are building planters for public spaces etc then it really will be cut to length, pre drill maybe and screw together.
Hammer, nails, a few boxes of common screw sizes. Cordless drill driver. Everything Pozidrive #2
Yes a sliding combination square - maybe the orange bahco one - cheapish and bright. Sharpies pencils and a tape measure.
A disposable saw - the Axminster teflon coated ones are easy for beginners - and 11 point is easier to start that 7tpi. I doubt anyone will be doing much ripping with it unless on sheet goods.
Sanding block and papers for easing edges and avoiding splinters.

Message to the boss is that tools will be lost. Don't lock yourself into a kit so it is easier and cheaper to replace items with different or even donated items when things do get lost.

My closest (and favourite) wood recycling yard is also a charity for special needs young people, and they have a workshop that they use to make items to sell from the recycled woods available to them.
It may be worth a phone call to ask their advice, based on years of experience?

The Old Mill. 261 Ongar Road, Passingford Bridge, Romford, United Kingdom

07874 207822

[email protected]

Things break and become lost, that is part of a busy school environment. In this instance, the reasoning behind a set in a box is because an attractive "grown-up" set helps put the young people in a productive mindset, and they can be encouraged to look after the equipment, use it safely and put everything away properly, as opposed from grabbing something from a plastic storage bucket - a place for everything and everything in its place - but also, so that it can be safely and easily stowed in a locked cupboard so the groups that use the facilities in the evenings and weekends cannot take advantage of the class resources. I will drop the riverside group an email, thankyou. Thanks Steve, I've still got your number, really enjoyed the last visit.

I'd put together a list and go to somewhere like Wickes B and Q or Screwfix and ask if they will give you a discount or perhaps a toolbox for each set??

I find the Wickes tenon saws excellent they were selling them off at £3 so I brought 5!

Their chesels aren't bad either.

Look at faithful planes which aren't bad for cheap planes, get a no3 as well as 4.

Also for cordless drills the Wickes / bauker / macalister 12v drill is good and not too heavy.

The basic tool kit should start off with supervising adults who know what they are doing. Am I the only one who thinks this idea sounds nonsense? Let’s do a simple risk assessment……do the supervisors know the risks they are asking of the students? Answer no. Well, let’s stop there!

The supervising adult is mostly me, and I do know what I am doing. The other adults have a range of skills, some have next to none, some are very competent. Different adults will lead different sessions as they are competent and confident to do so. Work is 1:1 and the risk assessments are tight. I am starting to question whether I do not need a kit of tools, but a really nice wooden tool box/chest

Last edited:
Pupils will be closely supervised by adults who know less than them as I am the only woodworker on site and will not always be available.
Good news, as I was just reacting to the indication they would be supervised solely at times by people who knew less than the student.

Without sounding sarcastic - good first aid kit and plastic gloves.

Safety glasses are easy to find on Amazon. Children who already have SEN may prefer a selection of types as well as the goggle that fit over glasses type.

Pick some safety glasses that are comfortable and a bit flashy - even a very slight tint. If the kids think they look cool they are more likely to wear them. Even reluctant, old school CEO's aren't immune to that sort of psychology !

Saw and mitre box combination.

Bench hooks are very useful - but can be hard to hold steady. Some sort of clamps or cam clamping for the bench hook helps a lot.

Hand mitre saws where the saw runs on guide rails can be very effective - good clamping options for the wood against the rear fence too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-881...4081951&sprefix=draper+mitre+sa,aps,84&sr=8-5
You can make bench hooks and mallets as your first project then progress to a caddy to store the tools in.

I remember reading an article from a woodwork teacher of some school somewhere. In it he couldn't recommend highly enough pull saws, basically for accuracy of cut, ease of cutting, which we all know if you've ever handed a standard hardpoint saw to someone not used to such things, the difficulty they have in starting and using anything other that 2" of the blade :LOL: but also and he stressed that it is the size of the handle on the pull saw is much smaller and better suited to smaller hands.

" You can make bench hooks "
Excellent first project.

Back