Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mouppe":1wytc3hq said:
Windsor barstool. Distressed milk paint finish.

I really like the chair =D> but not the paint finish :(

As has been said, a few paint splashes should improve the look of it over time.

Hi, been having a little bit of workshop action lately and managed to make this bookcase in a couple of days this week. Its in solid walnut, with ply veneered shelves, no fancy joinery as I was in a hurry, so the good old domino was in action, but nonetheless, a satisfying project and one of the final pieces for our new kitchen. I just need to complete the extractor canopy and its done.

The finish is my favourite, festool surfix one step and some wax. I was quite chuffed, as I saw this in a posh furniture shop, with a price ticket of over a grand on it, and thought " I could make that really easily"...so I did!

Cheers, Mark

Mark,
I really like the bookcase, it's got a nice touch of the Danish modern to it.

My grandma is 99 years old in a few weeks and still working as a baker (although everything she makes she donates to charity) so I made her this spoon from a piece of ash from my firewood pile. It's my first spoon but it really was great fun and only took a couple of hours. I think I've been bitten by the spoon-carving bug!

Finish is walnut oil.

Attachments

• IMG_0088_2_01.JPG
    IMG_0088_2_01.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 404
Apologies for including this among such great works. My G/granddaughter wanted a 'special box' to keep some of her treasures in so I came up with this. It works with rare earth magnets, one in the door and one in the right end to lock it. I'm certainly no joiner but I like to try and make things with wood for the kids.

001.JPG

004 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 004 (2).JPG
    004 (2).JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 402
With any new to me wood I like to make a candle holder to see how it cuts and finished.

Here is maple and walnut.

No thought went into design but I quite like how it turned out... So I made some more.

r28gsx.jpg

Here's a chair I have just finished. It's based on a chair by Vidar Malmsten, a mate of James Krenov's. It's in ash with a Danish cord seat and has a soap finish. Malmsten was a bit uncompromising in his design so construction was tricky with many compound angles and some scribed shoulders. The chair gives excellent back support and is very comfortable.

The soap finish gives a very natural feel to the wood, almost like there is no finish there. It remains to be seen how it will last. This is the first time I have used Danish cord seating, it took me about two days to do with steep learning curve, but seems to have turned out well.

The chair is a prototype for a chair making course I am developing. I thought that most chair making courses are for turned chairs a jointed chair allows more grace and is more of a challenge.

I am considering posting a WIP thread on the construction.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_7527 72.jpg
    IMG_7527 72.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_7542 72.jpg
    IMG_7542 72.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_7534 72.jpg
    IMG_7534 72.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 511
That is a very elegant chair. A real challenge for a chair making course I would think.
Now 'Soap' finish is new to me is it just Carbolic well rubbed in? Heh Heh.
xy

Hi XY

No not carbolic, Boots soap flakes mixed with hot water to give a paste then rubbed on and buffed off. Call in sometime if you want to check it out.

Chris

Mr T":3etp4wb0 said:
Hi XY

No not carbolic, Boots soap flakes mixed with hot water to give a paste then rubbed on and buffed off. Call in sometime if you want to check it out.

Chris

And there was I thinking I was joking. Thank you for the offer of a 'hands on'.
xy

Back