Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post, may as well be this :D
French oak, 32mm thick shelves with 10 cupboards beneath, finished in tung oil.
Waiting on handles to arrive.

Attachments

• bib.jpg
    bib.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 12.33.58.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 12.33.58.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 12.32.08.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 12.32.08.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 218
vibraphone":qfiah9x3 said:
First post, may as well be this :D
French oak, 32mm thick shelves with 10 cupboards beneath, finished in tung oil.
Waiting on handles to arrive.

Wow

Coffe table inspired by the Roubo Workbench:
IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6500.JPG

The wood is douglas fir offcuts left over from constructing the roof trusses and purlins from our extension build

The top is made with 2 pieces of 9"x4", I used a plywood spline in a routed groove to aid alignment, jointed the edges carefully and glued together. The legs are 4"x6". The timber had been kicking aroung my garage and generally getting in he way whilst I waited for a flash of inspiration; which came from Chris Schwarz's excellent workbench books. Initiall flattening and cleaning up of the timber was done using my router with a flat bottom Wealdon bit and a home made jig. The remainder was hand tools. I finished with 3 coats of Osmol Polyx satin and 3 further applications of beeswax.

SWMBO is delighted with the end result

Attachments

• IMG_6498.JPG
    IMG_6498.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_6500.JPG
    IMG_6500.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 216
turnamere":2sk217zq said:

The wood is douglas fir offcuts left over from constructing the roof trusses and purlins from our extension build

The top is made with 2 pieces of 9"x4", I used a plywood spline in a routed groove to aid alignment, jointed the edges carefully and glued together. The legs are 4"x6". The timber had been kicking aroung my garage and generally getting in he way whilst I waited for a flash of inspiration; which came from Chris Schwarz's excellent workbench books. Initiall flattening and cleaning up of the timber was done using my router with a flat bottom Wealdon bit and a home made jig. The remainder was hand tools. I finished with 3 coats of Osmol Polyx satin and 3 further applications of beeswax.

I love that! I have been kicking around ideas for my own coffee table build hoping inspiration would strike. However, I think I shall go with something similar to yours.

Cheers,
Chris

turnamere":1pjfx7da said:

A sublime bit of work there!
that looks familiar from a Clans thread ;)

Vibraphone,

I like your bookcase style with cupboards below. Also what's good is a space for the TV.

John

woodenstuart":np5acj2b said:
[A sublime bit of work there!
that looks familiar from a Clans thread ;)

Hi Stuart,

small world, any further with your finish dilema? Looking forward to seeing the result once your post count is up.

Been meaning to make this for about ten years. Finally got round to it. Only took 3 hours- why did I wait so long?!!! It's on little wheels and has about 35 clamps on it so far and room for plenty more.

d002ba38bddef60489fb630038e02af5.jpg

1a0fce8a7a481af86316536b14bc6df5.jpg

dce4a0ec8be984656b04e7408faac007.jpg

I added leather to my vice a long time ago but over time I realized it was too thin and didn't really provide any benefit. A couple of days ago I relined it with tooling leather which is about 3mm thick. This has the advantage of being able to compress a little and thus provide better grip, especially if your jaws do not close perfectly parallel. It also prevents marking the wood more easily as it has some give.

I used yellow glue to attach it and bevelled the edges. Edge bevelling reduces the chance of snagging the leather which can pull it away from the jaw over time.

Benchcrafted supply suede for their Moxon vices but I think it is also too thin.

49ff9f0492102041606865ecc6b5df1b.jpg

3e97c5147dacbbbe105ccf57dfcbbd76.jpg

8f85925af4c5d1f4c5f30453b94d2392.jpg

Ah, I don't know any ladies that make dog collars. Anyone know of a leather supplier? Lots on ebay but it's too thin.

John

Thanks Roger. I actually tried again putting 'thick' leather in the search box and found some.

John

First and last pair of things I've made :)

IMAG2453_zps3ctqivhh.jpg

IMAG2475_zpszllmv0wg.jpg

IMAG2484_zpsjbutbwhn.jpg

And the bench, many 12mm dowels to hold that

IMAG2496_zpshzbu8tnk.jpg

IMAG2497_zpswpqgqwfi.jpg

After a while, I did manage to tear my gaze from the scrummy cake display and look at the stand.
And I'm glad that I did, excellent job, You certainly come up with some clever designs, And I do like the eeb,
on the base.
What paint finish was this? looks almost glossy.
Regards Rodders

Back