Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maple and walnut jewelry box for my granddaughter, finished with two coats of celulose sanding sealer, denibbed between coats, then three coats of Briwax clear wax, apologies for the pictures, they were taken with my old iPhone.

Baldhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 372
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 372
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 372
Made my first guitar. Tasmanian blackwood and spruce. Sounds good but I'd like to eliminate some of the little mistakes next time!

Attachments

• guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 345
Great job Richard. Hope it sounds as good as it looks :)
Can't make out from the photo, but is the back flat or bellied?

wellywood":39nmbxt4 said:
Great job Richard. Hope it sounds as good as it looks :)
Can't make out from the photo, but is the back flat or bellied?
Thanks. Yes, its not the best photo. The back is bellied (or domed) but the sundboard is flat. There was some concern with doing this but since our RH is fairly stable in these parts it should be OK I'm told. Its stays in tune very well.

richarddownunder":26h7pqdt said:
Thanks. Yes, its not the best photo. The back is bellied (or domed) but the sundboard is flat. There was some concern with doing this but since our RH is fairly stable in these parts it should be OK I'm told. Its stays in tune very well.

What's the RH like today after yesterday's downpour? :lol:

Beautiful chair Chris, would love to see a Wip. Might be interested in the chair making course too.

wellywood":31jt92vm said:
richarddownunder":31jt92vm said:

55% according to my meter...indoors. Rather wetter outside though!! Palmy is doing a community cancer fundraising 'relay for life' overnight - marching around a grass track in the rain and thunder. It'll be a mud track by now - just heading down there to retrieve my daughter. oops, slightly off topic!

wellywood":6ynvzzt6 said:
richarddownunder":6ynvzzt6 said:

55% according to my meter...indoors. Rather wetter outside though!! Palmy is doing a community cancer fundraising 'relay for life' overnight - marching around a grass track in the rain and thunder. It'll be a mud track by now - just heading down there to retrieve my daughter. oops, slightly off topic!

...but now I seem to have posted enough times to be given the appropriate permissions so here goes...

SWMBO requested these huge oak doors so I made them for her today. Don't know if they qualify for inclusion here as they were made using a mini CNC machine. The one on the left has had a single coat of finishing oil and the one on the right is as it came off the machine. They're about 6cm x 4cm and are apparently to allow fairies to come and go from a glass jar :|

20150308_132610_zpsbfzuqbi3.jpg

The previous thing I made was this ribbon holder for SWMBO's craft room, but this was also made on the CNC machine. It's currently unfinished - she intends painting it:

20150306_203100_zpsseuipm0l.jpg

20150307_094728_zpssy6c9nhf.jpg

The thing I made before was also the result of a request from SWMBO but there wasn't a CNC machine in sight when I made it. She wanted a simple table to replace an old Tri-ang school desk for our granddaughter who is only 20 months old and can't understand why her crayons keep rolling off the sloping desk! Specification was "a very simple table with square legs and a flat top that I can paint". After checking with the boss, I softened the corners for when the little one bumps her head on them. She's started painting it tonight.

20150301_191554_zpsgaxl08sd.jpg

Chris

CNC equipment is no problem here we are very board minded.

Some of us most probably have no idea what a cnc machine is and can do so give us some wip sometime and bring us oldies into the 21st century if you like.

JanetsBears":1t0snfob said:
The thing I made before was also the result of a request from SWMBO but there wasn't a CNC machine in sight when I made it. She wanted a simple table to replace an old Tri-ang school desk for our granddaughter who is only 20 months old and can't understand why her crayons keep rolling off the sloping desk! Specification was "a very simple table with square legs and a flat top that I can paint". After checking with the boss, I softened the corners for when the little one bumps her head on them. She's started painting it tonight.

20150301_191554_zpsgaxl08sd.jpg

Chris

That's better than the pine table I made for informal dining from the sofa!

John

devonwoody":194kklal said:
CNC equipment is no problem here we are very board minded.

Some of us most probably have no idea what a cnc machine is and can do so give us some wip sometime and bring us oldies into the 21st century if you like.

As I approach retirement at a rapid pace, I consider myself one of "us oldies" so I'm dragging myself into modern times :)

I'm not sure how interesting CNC based wip would be. "Here's a picture of a board before I turn the CNC machine on...this is me making a cup of tea while the CNC machine is busy...this is what the CNC machine cut while I was drinking my tea...tada! Here it is, finished!"

My stepdaughter saw the table and has asked if I could make her one too, with a couple of small chairs. Maybe I should personalise the chairs in some way using the CNC machine and include wip pictures for the whole thing.

Chris

Ah Chris..
The crayons roll of the desk slope because there isn't a stop ledge across the bottom? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. Couldn't resist!

Cheers

John

Benchwayze":3k6c5cjl said:
Ah Chris..
The crayons roll of the desk slope because there isn't a stop ledge across the bottom? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry. Couldn't resist!

Cheers

John
Personally, I believe the issue not to be a fault with the desk design, but rather a problem with the way a 20 month old girl can put down crayons with such force that they can roll uphill!

Chris

JanetsBears":61cbvy3t said:
Benchwayze":61cbvy3t said:
Ah Chris..
Sorry. Couldn't resist!

Cheers

John
Personally, I believe the issue not to be a fault with the desk design, but rather a problem with the way a 20 month old girl can put down crayons with such force that they can roll uphill!

Chris
If my granddaughter is anything to go by, two-year old children can put crayons down with enough force to cause a three square metres fall-out zone! :lol:

Not technically the last thing I made but today I renovated my box joint jig and used it to cut some box joints for my refurb of my wife's office project.

I made the jig ages ago and it wasn't quite right due to the slider in my mitre track being sloppy. I fettled that and made a new face/tooth plate for 1/2" fingers adding a Maskery style adjuster - which wasn't needed !! My vacuum hose clamp affair is a prototype but I quite like it, sucks up most of the dust

Here's my first test cut

cutter not quite high enough but a nice fit with space for glue :wink:

Latest posts

Back