Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing fancy just a simple MDF fire surround using mitred corners to hide the edge because it's been painted.
IMG_20231218_101320.jpg

Plane making innovations….. for me anyway….

Cam clamp for holding planes during mortise work. Seems to work! Needs a bit of fettling.

IMG_4525.jpeg

3d printed templates for marking up moulding planes and wedges consistently. Inspired by Norman Bayliss. Hopefully he’s smiling in his grave.

IMG_4526.jpeg

Have my mother in law for this years secret Santa, and she has a vegetable garden/ allotment, so I assume she takes some tools back and forth with the car.
Made a japanese toolbox for her, so there is less muck (from the tools) in the car:
20231210_170448.jpg

20231210_170407.jpg

Pine, cut nails, a mahogany wedge, protruding greene&greene boxjoints. Had a few scary moments where the wood started to split, those cut nails are quite large.
It also has leather strap handles, those weren't fitted when making the photos.

Have my mother in law for this years secret Santa, and she has a vegetable garden/ allotment, so I assume she takes some tools back and forth with the car.
Made a japanese toolbox for her, so there is less muck (from the tools) in the car:
View attachment 172250
View attachment 172251
Pine, cut nails, a mahogany wedge, protruding greene&greene boxjoints. Had a few scary moments where the wood started to split, those cut nails are quite large.
It also has leather strap handles, those weren't fitted when making the photos.
Very nice!
what are cut nails?

Very nice!
what are cut nails?

Nails which are "cut" from metal - rather than being like an extruded wire with a head - a couple of types I can think of:

1 A sort of rounded shape, but not smooth - often decorative for oak doors or chests - see Cut Clasp Nail Pack

2 A flat rectangular profile, traditonally used to nail floorboards down - see Timco Cut Clasp Nails 12mm x 75mm 1kg Pack - Screwfix

The box referred to has the type in 1 above

. . . the nails for horsehoes are another purpose specific type with a thin taper but a larger head to wedge in the hole in steel horseshoe

A simple sliding lid box made out of a single plank of 22 mm thick rough-sawn Ash:

1703086500486.png

What makes it unusual is what it was made with:

1703086530622.png

Exactly 8 tools: a Stanley 4½, a combination square, a 3 mm chisel, an F-clamp, a pencil, a (poorly chosen) cross-cut saw, some glue and a leather strop. No vice, no bench dogs, no marking knife, no hammer/mallet, no sharpening stone, no cloths/rags: nothing but those 8 tools, the flat surface of the bench and the plank of ash.

More details here if anyone is interested: Minimal Tool Challenge

Finished up a perch stool I’ve been working on for a couple of months. Elm seat, Poplar legs (they were going to be painted but I couldn’t settle on a colour!!). The seat outline was cut on the bandsaw, everything else done by hand.

A few errors along the way but we live and learn.

View attachment 172302View attachment 172303
Very nice shape to that seat. You didn’t fancy bringing the legs through and wedging them?

I can see three wedged tenons on the top surface
Yes - wedged all 3 legs but that was one of my mistakes. Cut the slot for the wedge in the wrong orientation for the first back leg and had to repeat it on the other to match! Thankfully it didn’t split the seat.

Back