Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More gizmos for making moulding planes today…. A “rig” made up mostly of metalworking stuff I already had, for holding and rotating a plane while the mortise is roughed out with a milling bit on the pillar drill. This should cut a particularly laborious and miserable part of the process down by quite a bit.

It’s way more complicated than it looks, it has to revolve precisely around a point in space that is at the apex of the mortise, and that point needs to be perfectly aligned with the spindle of the drill. I did CAD drawings and everything to get it right (and indeed got it wrong initially hence the extra holes in the aluminium).

After quite a bit of fiddling and alignment I seem to have got it to work acceptably, putting a mortise in a lump of pine. Tomorrow I will actually try to make a real plane with it.

Attachments

• IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4559.mov
    22.5 MB
Fantastic. How does it play/sound?

Thanks. It plays pretty good. Got action down to 1.75mm with no buzz. It needs more fettling but I tend to do that over a week or 3 so I can really get used to it.
By that I mean fine adjustments to the nut, bridge and trussrod. But as it stands I think its plays as well as any mass production instrument.

I play alot of blues (and rather surprisingly Jazz) these days and only use the neck pickup, hence the design.

This is the 3rd guitar I have made. Will have a cracking at another guitar in the spring.

Wanted to build myself some storage either side of espresso machine for various brewers and accessories.

Made a few mistakes on this one so going to take the learning and make another one, hopefully better.

PXL_20231229_132545653.jpg
PXL_20231229_132825901.MP.jpg

Things I like:
  • Rebate joints with contrasting plugs.
  • Shelf sitting within a groove.
  • Overall dimenstions.
Things I don't like and what I'll do next.
  • Chamfer on edges - Router base wasn't large enough so got a bit unstable. Next time I'll either make a big router base, use router table, or just brake the edges instead.
  • Exposed groove on front face - Next time I'll do a stopped groove so you can't see it from the front.
  • Rear panel - Nicer wood next time, only material I had in 3mm was mdf. Currently it sits in a rebate but I think I'll put it in a groove.
Might also add some LED's to give it some flare.

Wanted to build myself some storage either side of espresso machine for various brewers and accessories.

Made a few mistakes on this one so going to take the learning and make another one, hopefully better.

View attachment 172827
View attachment 172826

Things I like:
  • Rebate joints with contrasting plugs.
  • Shelf sitting within a groove.
  • Overall dimenstions.
Things I don't like and what I'll do next.
  • Chamfer on edges - Router base wasn't large enough so got a bit unstable. Next time I'll either make a big router base, use router table, or just brake the edges instead.
  • Exposed groove on front face - Next time I'll do a stopped groove so you can't see it from the front.
  • Rear panel - Nicer wood next time, only material I had in 3mm was mdf. Currently it sits in a rebate but I think I'll put it in a groove.
Might also add some LED's to give it some flare.
Nice project, bad addiction by the look of it 😀

The last couple days I've been tidying the makerspace, sorting through the pallet wood I used for Christmas tree ornaments, reorganising the rest of the wood I have out there, finally moved the dust extractor out from behind the lathe so it can sit in its spot halfway between the lathe and bandsaw (just need to sort the ducting out now) whilst looking through the wood bin I realised most of it isn't really usable for turning as it is so decided to cut it all up so I can glue it up into blanks ready for turning light/cord pulls which I need to make a bunch of for the shop, I can't have the Xmas decorations on display all year 😀, unfortunately SWMBO is sick and there is only 100mm block wall between the lathe and the bed so had to stick to hand tools to avoid disturbing her so I only got about 75% of the wood cut and ready for glue up. Debating whether to use 5min epoxy or a bottle of construction PVA I have been given, not sure how old it is. Here's a pic of what I've got ready to glue up and one of what's left to cut and prep (there's some mahogany stuff from old school furniture, some pallet wood, reclaimed school Gym equipment and some stuff I have no idea of its origin.
20231231_154827.jpg20231231_155733.jpg

It is handsome and your treatment of the edges is distinguished. I'll forward this to a friend in Minnesota who makes cutting boards as gifts.
Cheers, @Bruce Mack .
Appreciate the comment :)

I always liked the funky angles rather than just boring rectangular ones.

Main reason I do this is on opposite edges it creates a lifting draft angle whether the chopping board is facing up or down - which almost negates the need for a handle or grooves (which I don't like) on the edges to pick up the board.

Although it is pointless in this instance as I have put the little feet on it 🤣

Back