Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I used up my last stick of Hazel, did 2 then had a thought, I've never seen a captive live edge ring bud vase done before 🤔🤔🤔🤔 they're a bit naff but I like them 😆
20230428_170514.jpg
20230428_170512.jpg
20230428_170503.jpg
20230428_170420.jpg
20230428_170412.jpg
20230428_170400.jpg

Then decided to use up a small piece of willow that's been sat staring at me for a while
20230428_170549.jpg
20230428_170553.jpg
20230428_170556.jpg

Aaaand finally here's a shot of all the bud vases /twig pots I've done over the last couple of weeks
20230428_170612.jpg

@Stig. Looking good for a table at the school fête. Love the different shaped vases. Unusual but still eye-catching 👍
If the PTA organise a summer fair it will probably be mid July so plenty of time for me to get loads of smaller bits done, at the Christmas fair I didn't really sell much big stuff, all my money was made on the small cheaper items made from pallet wood so figure I'll get loads of these little bud vases done then maybe move on to tea light holders, after that I can look at a few bigger pieces, have been given some clock parts and lazy susan bearings so going to use those at some point. In the meantime any money I make from my Gumtree site will go towards parts like pewter lids, more clock parts so I can make some higher end pieces, need to raid my tree surgeons yard again soon too 😁

So a colleague is leaving and I was asked if I could turn something as a leaving gift for him, so I decided to use the opportunity to do somethi g I've wanted to try for a long time now, a captured ring goblet, I'm super happy with the goblet, the ring is not perfect but considering I only had my bowl gouge, skew and narrow parting tool it's pretty good. Used a piece of the red conifer I got from my arborist and sanded it to 500G, sanding the ring was not fun.
View attachment 157992View attachment 157993View attachment 157994View attachment 157995View attachment 157996View attachment 157997View attachment 157998
I hope you are signing all your work! If not, start! A good way to do it is in dark wood do it like Cindy Drozda does. Just a suggestion. She uses a gold fill pen to fill her signature. You can google her way or I can send you a link. Just signing with black marker does not stand the test of time!

I hope you are signing all your work! If not, start! A good way to do it is in dark wood do it like Cindy Drozda does. Just a suggestion. She uses a gold fill pen to fill her signature. You can google her way or I can send you a link. Just signing with black marker does not stand the test of time!
I haven't been, I know I should, planning to get an electric branding iron with my logo on it, I have a cheap photography pen somewhere. I'll def have a look at Cindy 👍, how you getting on with the bits I sent you? Hopefully it isn't mostly junk.

The last thing I carved for my cousins wedding present.
Hi folks, ukulele joe here again after a very long time alone, honing my skills, following your collective advice. I still love making things on my scroll saw, as you can see, (if I can attach my pic). I have met a young lady who has the self same interests as myself and the bonus is that she finds loads of reclaimed hardwoods etc. In return I make her anything and everything she requires, and the ideas she comes up with are always brilliant. The last things I am still working on are the little trinket boxes with the cute handle on top. I hope nobody is offended at the wine carrier there. I'm afraid I am not fairing to well of late but not complaining. You see 2 years ago I was diagnosed will Merkel Carsonoma cancer. After courses of treatments It appeared to disappear but recently it has flaired up again. It is now in my brain and have had to sell the car and depend on others to still carry. I hasten to add that I still feel fully fit and functioning quite normally, even though I am 81. Hope you like my efforts. Best wishes to all........JOE

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_100812098.jpg
    IMG_20230430_100812098.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Did I give you any of that stuff?
Yup, the cherry logs are there behind the lathe, they've not called to me to be used yet but their time will come 😊
I'm trying to use up the smaller fiddly bits at the minute, partly to get a good stock of bud vases but mainly so I can tidy the makerspace and rearrange it to create more wood storage, we have a new perimeter fence going in around school very soon and there will be a huge amount of holly coming my way as well as some other species that are hiding amongst the holly bushes.

Latest posts

Back