Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably old age rather than die back. The tree surgeon should have been wary if it was die back as they can be dangerous to fell, depending on situation. The wood goes brittle and, besides being dangerous, is probably not nice to turn.
Brian
Ahh probably not die back then 😊

Not a good photo, but it gives you an idea - this is the black.
IMG0026A (1).jpg

Some mighty fine knives you have there. Well deserving of the holders
Thanks I'm learning the use of the jointing plane so trying to laminate I thought was a good way of learning and not a wasted experiment

Laminated wood for laminated steel!

edit just to add the process
the righthandone is just pressed bamboo ply with a few magnets forstner'd into the back then another reversed bamboo ply on the rear - this then planed to parallel using a straight edge / light / no6 plane with the base ballasted (chunk of cleaned up firewood)

left hand is sapelle maple alternating laminations which were resawn then planed using a no6. drum sander to get a rear bevel for interest this then through-dowelled using 1/4inch dowel stock from beech. front is resawn maple take up to 240g with a wax finish (3 coats and a polish).

there was a little resting perch thing (see below) but wifey thought it looked s£$*% and I totally agreed with her so I knocked it off and refinished it - I just dind't want to waste my laminations after all that effort but it did look cak.

20230122_160428.jpegVs 20230201_180338.jpeg

Last edited:
Back