Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your jeolous of him, he's jealous of you and I'm jealous of both of your skills!!🤣🤣
Mother nature does the hard bit, we just remove the excess to expose what she made, speaking of, today I've been rounding off the blanks I've cut from my recent Ash haul, so far i have 10 blanks around 6inches diameter and ranging from 3 to 6inches deep sealed with candle wax, they're all spindle orientation so will be end grain bowls, the grain is amazing.
20230201_134701.jpg
20230201_133849.jpg
20230201_130215.jpg

Set myself a challenge to make a smaller set of my Victorian figures, to make it even harder I used a very very punky silver birch branch that could fit in my 50mm jaws without a tenon, they came out ok considering I have no small tools so a lot of it was done with my 5mm and 2mm parting tools, they stand at about 75mm tall and have a coat of linseed oil.
20230202_172330.jpg
20230202_172323.jpg

Finally got to finish a couple of bowls that I recently turned but was flaffing around with the finish. I tried a friction polish. 1st time and got a nice shine on the eucalyptus bowl inside but not so shiney on the chestnut bowl outside. Not too sure why? Maybe the chestnut wood doesn't lend itself to the finish or probably more likely I rushed it? A mate let me use his light box so no distractions and have put a logo on the bottom burnt in with a soldering iron, nine dots and then play 'join the dots to make an M'! Not a W or 3.
Top bowls eucalyptus.
Bottom 3 chestnut.
20230202_100841.jpg
20230202_100926.jpg
20230202_101019.jpg
20230202_100435.jpg
20230202_100400.jpg

Nothing very exciting, just a big BFL door. It's a replacement for one of a pair, the customer says the other one still has a bit of life left in it so we are only replacing one.....

I generally machine out the boarding myself. If you start with a piece of 9"x3", cut 4" off each side then deep cut the 4"x3"s into 4"x1"s you are left with mainly quarter sawn boards, these should (hopefully) be more stable than the usual 4"x1" you buy.

Quarter sawn.jpg

BFL 1.jpg

BFL 2.jpg

I've recently learnt to buy as big as my bandsaw will resaw rather than dimensioned timber.

just planing skills need more polishing!

Another pair of figurines today but with a difference, the figures are made from Oak, I got a catch as I was finishing the female so the bottom of the dress is a lot smaller than planned and it made her top heavy so I made a little stand/trinket dish from pine and mounted both male and female to it. This one is for SWMBO cousin who is getting married.
20230204_011531.jpg
20230204_011521.jpg
20230204_011515.jpg

Just a couple workshop upgrades this weekend.
finally got blastgate installed for the sander the other branch to the mitresaw which sit next to each other; this nearly.completes that bench and means I'm not contanstly swapping hoses.
20230205_215149.jpeg
also sliding table for the mitre saw, a few refinments needed still but much easier, the slides lock when extended and I've got the long workpeice rolling table made from an old cast iron speakr stand to the right of the pic. next job is a hood for the saw but I'm probably going to try upgrade to one with trenching cut ability once I figure how to ask the lady.
20230204_194058.jpeg

Just a couple workshop upgrades this weekend.
finally got blastgate installed for the sander the other branch to the mitresaw which sit next to each other; this nearly.completes that bench and means I'm not contanstly swapping hoses.
View attachment 152801
also sliding table for the mitre saw, a few refinments needed still but much easier, the slides lock when extended and I've got the long workpeice rolling table made from an old cast iron speakr stand to the right of the pic. next job is a hood for the saw but I'm probably going to try upgrade to one with trenching cut ability once I figure how to ask the lady.
View attachment 152802
"You know those extra kitchen drawers you wanted well if I had a saw that trenches " usually works round here

I finally made casts of two wax models that have been knocking around ,on my desk for longer than I care to admit. They have been under a wooden bowl to keep them safe, but are now in a form that is far more robust.

IMG_4015_1EN.jpg

Left, is a bull from a heraldic crest. Right, is Apollo playing a lyre, from a Roman bone couch

Attachments

• IMG_4012_1en.jpg
    IMG_4012_1en.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4013_1EN.jpg
    IMG_4013_1EN.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My wife asked if I fancied having a go at making her a small table from wood & resin.
I'd never worked with liquid resin before, so I said yes.
When it was done, we both thought It ended up a bit too small to be a table ( I already had the offcuts of Pippy Oak in my workshop) so we decided to hang it on the wall up on the landing instead.

Dimensions are 420mm high x 750mm wide by 22mm thick.
Finished with Rubio Monocoat "Pure".

I've now got to make a slightly larger one for the initial table she was after...!😁

IMG-20230130-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20230130-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20230130-WA0023.jpg

Last edited:
My wife asked if I fancied having a go at making her a small table from wood & resin.
I'd never worked with liquid resin before, so I said yes.
When it was done, we both thought It ended up a bit too small to be a table ( I already had the offcuts of Pippy Oak in my workshop) so we decided to hang it on the wall up on the landing instead.

Dimensions are 420mm high x 750mm wide by 22mm thick.
Finished with Rubio Monocoat "Pure".

I've now got to make a slightly larger one for the initial table she was after...!😁

View attachment 152839View attachment 152840View attachment 152841
I like that a lot. I'd like to try it sometime too, any recommendations in what resin to use,

That resin was GlassCast 50,....but the "50" is a little misleading!
It's not suitable for a 50mm deep pour in one go, as you may expect.
Maximum depth of pour if used with wood as in my example, is only 25mm.....50mm deep pour can be achieved if its used in something like a silicone mould or if you do a couple of pours once the first pour has semi set.

After the pour, I left it for a week to cure before I removed it from my mould frame & did any more work to it.

Last edited:
Pab's ...it's a diff one that.....
but tell her u'll sell this one to upgrade to the better model.....
it's worked for me in the past.....
now she doesn't bother......I just get what I want.....YESSSSSSS....

Back