Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sometimewoodworker
our 3 really prefer the sofa back...now rapped tightly in a blanket...
made some scratchers, even bought some.....no luck.....
had a large Olive log roll outta the wood store, cant keep em off it.....
Probably theres a scent......?
we refer to Cat Nip as Heroin for cats....great stuff......

If you think they are high on catnip try some valerian. My wife tried a herbal tea with it in, threw out the teabag, came into the kitchen later to find our furry stoner chewing his way through the teabag, staring eyes followed by the munchies then running through the house yowling at thin air!

Today my friend came over with his chainsaw and we turned logs into turning blanks for the future and got half the wood sealed with some hammerite metal and railing paint, was amusing to hear the snap as a few of the pieces started to crack, when I first saw the trunk of the tree I thought it was oak but having seen the grain and the bark on the branches I'm sure it isn't, I'm thinking maybe a beech or chestnut???? If anyone can tell me that would be great. The big disk is roughly 3ft across and is sealed too, I'm hoping it stays together because it would make an amazing table top if I can get it flat enough once it dries.
20230126_141640.jpg
20230126_141637.jpg
20230126_141626.jpg
20230126_141241.jpg
20230126_141232.jpg
20230126_141227.jpg

While these are not actually complete, it looks as if a work in progress is also appropriate. So that being said these are waiting for a small, 3”, grinding disk and air grinder to arrive from China. I have mentioned before that I have a reasonably sized supply of, now well seasoned, eucalyptus so am looking for useful ways to use this, as the cold season will be finishing in a few weeks and the days where we can expect temperatures less than 30 degrees will be gone for about the next 10 months. I decided that I could use drink coasters that can stop the condensation problems. Tools used SMCS, pull saw, belt sander, 3 routers (not because they were needed but I’ve got them), 3 RO sanders: to be used air die grinder and various spray guns. My helper is now recovered from a very large abscess on his jaw and is back being his usual useful self.
EC8E3807-6C3D-447E-A20B-463AA722E361.jpeg

You may notice that there are cracks in a couple of these, I’m going to be using as test pieces and they may get used if the finish will fill the cracks

Def not, I would have noticed the fruit and blossoms creating a mess in the road outside the school gates, I may have to go see what leaves are laying around out there to get a better clue 🤔
So after going over and looking around the base of the tree it appears to be Ash after all, scrubbed off a piece of the new stuff and almost all the green came away leaving a nice greyish colour that matches the Ash I already have so now I have a huge amount of Ash to keep me going, my friend is coming back next week with his chainsaw to cut the discs into blancs I can use, marked a few up and I can get one 10inch and two 6inch blanks from each disc and the scraps and bits will go with my friend to feed his log burner.

Looks like you may have a bit of 'olive ash' in the middle of those bigger rings, it's lovely stuff
The tree surgeons said the tree was diseased, some of the pieces have soft spots and holes where the centre should be, possibly Ash die back disease?
@Phil Pascoe would that be like the embellishing wax Yandles sell?

The tree surgeons said the tree was diseased, some of the pieces have soft spots and holes where the centre should be, possibly Ash die back disease?
@Phil Pascoe would that be like the embellishing wax Yandles sell?
Probably old age rather than die back. The tree surgeon should have been wary if it was die back as they can be dangerous to fell, depending on situation. The wood goes brittle and, besides being dangerous, is probably not nice to turn.
Brian

Back