Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doris,

In answer to your question about my heart shaped bandsaw box, I used my Burgess bandsaw to cut out the exterior and my scroll saw for the middle. I think it was a half inch blade, I should have used the smaller more flexible quarter inch, but I was lazy and did not change it. I think I would have been able to get a better curve if I had.

Keeping to the intent of this thread the last thing I made, which is finished! was this scroll saw unicorn jigsaw in oak, which has been posted in a scroll sawing thread, also for my daughter.

View attachment 28262

I love syc. lovely work.
I'm just thicknessing this peice of syc. It's got lovely figuring and is lovely and dry and now pretty flat. came with some
a couple of tack holes here and there, I've had to make some shorter sections, I will try to infill the smaller defects with CA and Syc dust

I'm sorry it's not something i've actually made yet but I'm practicing my handtool work so it feels like it should be something by now!

Attachments

• 20230125_200719.jpeg
    20230125_200719.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Several days ago I picked up some bits of Silver Birch that had just been felled, most of if turned out to be rotten in various places, probably making it only suitable for firewood once it's dried out. I did cut one end off though which seemed reasonable and it had some spalting to boot.

I roughed out a small bowl shape and over the course of several days I used the microwave to dry it out, it did split at the end grain on both sides, but that gave me an opportunity to fill it with some milliput mixed with some copper filings (I'd seen one of Mike Halton's videos where he did just that).

To be fair the 2nd turning took me far longer than it should have, the sanding took even longer. Then there were the worm holes to pick out and deal with. I tried filling them with CA glue, but after all the sanding I really shouldn't have bothered.The holes are now a feature.

At the end of the day I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice Silver Birch can turn out.

20230123_162541.jpg

20230123_162534.jpg

20230125_181722.jpg

Several days ago I picked up some bits of Silver Birch that had just been felled, most of if turned out to be rotten in various places, probably making it only suitable for firewood once it's dried out. I did cut one end off though which seemed reasonable and it had some spalting to boot.

I roughed out a small bowl shape and over the course of several days I used the microwave to dry it out, it did split at the end grain on both sides, but that gave me an opportunity to fill it with some milliput mixed with some copper filings (I'd seen one of Mike Halton's videos where he did just that).

To be fair the 2nd turning took me far longer than it should have, the sanding took even longer. Then there were the worm holes to pick out and deal with. I tried filling them with CA glue, but after all the sanding I really shouldn't have bothered.The holes are now a feature.

At the end of the day I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice Silver Birch can turn out.

View attachment 151937

View attachment 151938

View attachment 151939
Silver birch is one of those woods that is gorgeous when plain, stunning once spalted but almost always a PITA to turn especially once it gets heavily spalted and soft, I have a huge amount along with a load of Sycamore out in the school grounds but until I can get a vacuum chamber and cactus juice it's all too far gone to turn 😥

Well I've had a productive day today, firstly as promised, the lump of Sycamore I started in December and then came off and hit me in the face a few weeks ago has been sold, if that person wishes to make themselves known I will leave that to them, the yarn hook isn't perfect due to some parts being softer than others
20230124_154244.jpg
20230124_154238.jpg
20230124_154232.jpg

The Ash pot that I almost turned into a funnel was remounted on a jam chuck so I could turn away the paper thin and now distorted base, I then mounted another piece of Ash, turned a tenon to fit the bottomless pot and then turned it into a goblet stem and base, sanded from 180 to 600 then abrasive paste and wax to finish before gluing the 2 together (and before you eagle eyed lot point it out I am aware I missed waxing the new inside bottom of the pot/top of the stem 🤪🤪🤪)
20230125_155235.jpg
20230125_155123.jpg
20230125_155120.jpg

Aaaaand finally I carried a heap of newly felled oak across the road, we've had tree surgeons working on a diseased oak opposite the school for a couple of days, yesterday I asked if I could have so.e and they said they would leave some behind for me, I've carried what I can and tomorrow I have a friend with a chainsaw coming to deal with the rest
IMG-20230125-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20230125-WA0006.jpeg

Got a lot of sealing to do over the next few days 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Well I've had a productive day today, firstly as promised, the lump of Sycamore I started in December and then came off and hit me in the face a few weeks ago has been sold, if that person wishes to make themselves known I will leave that to them, the yarn hook isn't perfect due to some parts being softer than others
looks amazing, I like the yarn hook. looks Tim Burton esque. you could stick a light in it, hang a tiny fake spider off it and project it against a wall at halloween

View attachment 151940View attachment 151941View attachment 151942

The Ash pot that I almost turned into a funnel was remounted on a jam chuck so I could turn away the paper thin and now distorted base, I then mounted another piece of Ash, turned a tenon to fit the bottomless pot and then turned it into a goblet stem and base, sanded from 180 to 600 then abrasive paste and wax to finish before gluing the 2 together (and before you eagle eyed lot point it out I am aware I missed waxing the new inside bottom of the pot/top of the stem 🤪🤪🤪)
View attachment 151943View attachment 151944View attachment 151945
Aaaaand finally I carried a heap of newly felled oak across the road, we've had tree surgeons working on a diseased oak opposite the school for a couple of days, yesterday I asked if I could have so.e and they said they would leave some behind for me, I've carried what I can and tomorrow I have a friend with a chainsaw coming to deal with the rest
View attachment 151947View attachment 151946
Got a lot of sealing to do over the next few days 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
The grain pattern on the base is quite beautiful.

Silver birch is one of those woods that is gorgeous when plain, stunning once spalted but almost always a PITA to turn especially once it gets heavily spalted and soft, I have a huge amount along with a load of Sycamore out in the school grounds but until I can get a vacuum chamber and cactus juice it's all too far gone to turn 😥
I posted on reddit about dealing with soft rot in wood and someone suggested Cactus juice, I really couldn't tell if they were having me on. :oops:

I posted on reddit about dealing with soft rot in wood and someone suggested Cactus juice, I really couldn't tell if they were having me on. :oops:
Cactus juice is a water thin heat activating resin, you put the wood and juice in the vacuum chamber and draw a vacuum to remove the air from the wood, when you release the vacuum the cactus juice is pulled into the wood, once you ha e as much air as possible replaced with the cactus juice you then bake (yes in an oven) the wood to activate and harden the resin. Its fantastic stuff but very expensive.

Cactus juice is a water thin heat activating resin, you put the wood and juice in the vacuum chamber and draw a vacuum to remove the air from the wood, when you release the vacuum the cactus juice is pulled into the wood, once you ha e as much air as possible replaced with the cactus juice you then bake (yes in an oven) the wood to activate and harden the resin. Its fantastic stuff but very expensive.
Every day's a school day! (y)

I'll have to see if I can find a video showing it being used. Thanks for the info.

Made a scratch post for the boss. First time she's not has a string one, so remains to be seen if she approves.

View attachment 150253
If she ignores it then add some catnip, I made a couple of scratching pads a year ago, one of our ladies just started using them a couple of weeks ago, so persistence is the key, but I’m not sure if vertical works, if not then horizontal may do.

Made a set of bookends from some left overs. I think the accent piece is cherry, the base and upright are from a fence slat, so probably spruce or pine.
I recorded the build for a YT video.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-25 at 22.38.16.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-25 at 22.38.16.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-01-25 at 22.38.15.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-25 at 22.38.15.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back