Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, gotta ask the question, what is the dummy doing staring at that pile of logs?
Thats Jason Todd, he ain't quite right in the head since he had a run in with the Joker

Here he is when he decides to wear clothes
20170617_185403.jpg

That is beautiful. The work I see posted here leaves me in awe. I'll not be posting anymore of my stuff until I can match yours. Gorgeous!
That jewellery box is indeed beautiful. Well done Gasman.
But if we all waited until we were that good before posting there would be nothing on this Forum. Keep making stuff and posting it’s all valid. 👍

Very rustic compared to the stuff I've seen here, but here is a mud kitchen for my grandson. Made from recycled wood, it cost me around £60 in total (including stain) versus much more English pounds if purchased ready made.

And I had fun doing it!

Attachments

• PXL_20220411_073012141.jpg
    PXL_20220411_073012141.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 57
Bedroom chimney brest joinery. Beech with ply panels wallpapered with a William Morris print. This was actually my first ever go at wallpapering. Took me a while to know what I was doing with the wallpaper; think I’ll stick to joinery.

You can read the brief story of how I ruined a sawblade on this job here…

Dodged a bullet———almost

BC8AB58F-18F0-4CF1-8E76-F9AACD483E03.jpeg

Also made some matching chunky looking bedside tables for the same room. Pictured here before I had put the little wallpaper squares under the safety glass.
1C18968A-25B2-49CE-B025-911BF34ED158.jpeg

Last edited:
16498305890473369566461368111948.jpg
16498306151666401715403930863968.jpg
16498306482167433551691100050279.jpg

Almost embarrassed to put this up here but this is a rigid heddle loom I made.

Having looked at the cost of these online, and finding someone in Oxford giving away the metal part I had one of those 'how hard can it be?' moments. One pallet and a trawl of the internet later this was the result. Now just need to make the shuttle sticks and weave something on it.

Present for my brothers birthday. He really likes the sheffield cutlers/buffers stools you often see on salvage hunters.

Heres my version with a bit of tage frid thrown in. All made from old joists off a
roof space to room conversion

Yakisugi finish with linseed oil and bees wax

20220413_193940.jpg

Attachments

• 20220413_193928.jpg
    20220413_193928.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Present for my brothers birthday. He really likes the sheffield cutlers/buffers stools you often see on salvage hunters.

Heres my version with a bit of tage frid thrown in. All made from old joists off a
roof space to room conversion

Yakisugi finish with linseed oil and bees wax

View attachment 133585
Excellent, I would love to make one of these one day...

Pallet wood bench with planters on both sides. The front strip that goes right across needs sanding but the sander has been going all day so giving the neighbours a break.

I wonder if anyone has any tips for speeding up the process of placing screws. Currently I’m just drawing a centre line across all the planks and then measuring 20mm in from the edges to make all the screws look uniform. Gets a bit tedious. Tried searching for jigs and templates ideas on Google but they keep bringing up pocket hole jigs and other variations of that. Hoping someone will be able to direct me to a small metal template or similar that will make it easier and faster.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2FF4F166-9561-45FA-8AB7-F6AF327313EF.jpeg
    2FF4F166-9561-45FA-8AB7-F6AF327313EF.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 47
  • 908DC76F-6D97-4220-80CC-72D22AB05E15.jpeg
    908DC76F-6D97-4220-80CC-72D22AB05E15.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 47
How about a length of mild steel 40mmx 6mm drilled at the required frequency.

Shouldn't cost more than a tenner?

u'll have to make ur own.....
I use a cast iron sliding square to that job.....
set it to the edge distance and draw the horiz stagger''d lines then place all the latt's in line with a master
then draw the verts crosses....
no real easy way...chalk lines snaped can be good but depends on the job...

Pallet wood bench with planters on both sides. The front strip that goes right across needs sanding but the sander has been going all day so giving the neighbours a break.

I wonder if anyone has any tips for speeding up the process of placing screws. Currently I’m just drawing a centre line across all the planks and then measuring 20mm in from the edges to make all the screws look uniform. Gets a bit tedious. Tried searching for jigs and templates ideas on Google but they keep bringing up pocket hole jigs and other variations of that. Hoping someone will be able to direct me to a small metal template or similar that will make it easier and faster.

Thanks.

I fitted a load of cladding - boards about 110 wide and 2 screws (Spax, stainless steel Torx) at c90 cm centres (i.e. 2 screws across the board width, then @ 90cm centres along the length as the pic) - all I did was make a jig from a piece of the cladding board about 10cm long, with two pieces of 5mm plywood pinned to the edges at right angles. The jig had the two holes in the right place, with a centre line marked - all I had to do was position the jig, drill through the holes into the cladding board, slide the jig along and repeat. The 5mm plywood doubled as a spacer between the cladding boards.

The concept should work for your job - the piece of board jig just needs to align to the end of the boards to be drilled to get the spacing

DSC01387.JPG

As an aside - I saw the bench in this pic when I was in New Zealand - made from decking boards - I have yet to get round to making one for our garden.
IMG_20200307_195439235.jpg

I posted pics of my greenhouse a few days ago, and I thought I would drop a quick update now that I have finished the door toggle and lid latch mech. Took me a little head scratching to do the lid mechanism, ended up using some bolts and nuts, embedded / super glued into bits of cedar to stop them turning. Made a little knob on the bandsaw and finished with files, rasps, sandpaper. The knob was really nice at one point but i damaged it by clamping in the vice. Can't be bothered making a new one, it looks ok.
Anyway, thought that might be interesting if anybody is in same boat.

gh1.jpeg

gh2.jpeg

gh3.jpeg

Also, it blends in really well with the garden room now as it uses same wood and same oil. Glad I made one instead of buying.
gh4.jpeg

Martin

Some of you may have seen my thread asking for opinions on a piece of oak I had on the lathe,
View attachment 132947
Unfortunately the rot was too advanced, after cutting a tenon and turning it round a huge pice of the foot flew off so I had to remove the stem and remaining part of the foot and turn it into a simple bowl, cutting this was a nightmare, even with a freshly ground edge I was struggling to get clean cuts so ended up doing about 3 hours of sanding this morning, a few marks I couldn't get out but the honey gold colour makes up for that...
View attachment 132948View attachment 132949View attachment 132950View attachment 132951View attachment 132952View attachment 132953View attachment 132954
Beautiful work! What finish did you use?
Some of you may have seen my thread asking for opinions on a piece of oak I had on the lathe,
View attachment 132947
Unfortunately the rot was too advanced, after cutting a tenon and turning it round a huge pice of the foot flew off so I had to remove the stem and remaining part of the foot and turn it into a simple bowl, cutting this was a nightmare, even with a freshly ground edge I was struggling to get clean cuts so ended up doing about 3 hours of sanding this morning, a few marks I couldn't get out but the honey gold colour makes up for that...
View attachment 132948View attachment 132949View attachment 132950View attachment 132951View attachment 132952View attachment 132953View attachment 132954

Back