Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
A small table made from leftover plywood with an oak drawer front.
Finished with water-based polyurethane (plywood) and oil (the drawer front).
As usual, nothing is perfect, but I am the only one to notice, so not something to spend any energy on!
Drawer does not run very smoothly - will need some lubricant.
Simon
Edit: top and bottom are equally wide - that they look different is an optical illusion

in situ.jpg
vooraanzicht.jpg
detail lade.jpg
lijmen.jpg

Hi All,
A small table made from leftover plywood with an oak drawer front.
Finished with water-based polyurethane (plywood) and oil (the drawer front).
As usual, nothing is perfect, but I am the only one to notice, so not something to spend any energy on!
Drawer does not run very smoothly - will need some lubricant.
Simon
Edit: top and bottom are equally wide - that they look different is an optical illusion

View attachment 133901View attachment 133902View attachment 133903View attachment 133904
I like the table. Your workshop certainly looks like you know what you are doing 😃

I sanded to 320 then used Yandles Abrasive Paste followed by Yandles Hard Wax Polish, the bowl has warped a little since bringing it into the house so will need to takenit back to the lathe at some point to flatten the bottom again so it doesn't rock

Finally finished this backgammon board after breaking a screw.

London Plane with resin and mother of pearl inlay.

That is very nice.

Did you do a WIP by any chance? I'm interested in how you did the playing surface. This is on my tuit list.

@fezman no WIP I'm afraid.

The playing surface was routed out and then filled with resin. I used a 1.5mm router bit and a triangular template to rout out the outline of the points. Then a very nervous removal of the waste.

I wouldn't recommend using London plane as if you look at it the wrong way it moves.

A set of coasters in a holder for a mates 50th birthday pressie. Made from Partridgewood, which is a local species here in French Guiana. Sanded to 180 grit. Will be hand scraped before finish is applied. Thinking marine varnish (the stuff I bought is a poly resin base) but actually never used it before. Any suggestions? Obviously the coasters need to be waterproof and heat resistant.

Coasters_Polo.jpg

S.V. Netherlands
just use ordiary candle wax for the lube....just rub it on the surfaces.....does not attract dust....
I have a few jackets with Zippers that get the same treatment.....works a treat.....
thanks for the tip! Just tried it. It has improved the sound is makes when I move the drawer. Movement was initially a bit bumpy, because applying the candle wax uniformly is difficult without taking the 'runners' off, but moving the drawer in and out a couple of times already improved that.
Simon

Made with some help from IKEA.
A mobile cutting station for my wife’s craft work, 3 IKEA Kallax units with 18mm plywood base and top, edged with pine and four locking casters. Just waiting for the cutting mat which will cover the top.

Attachments

• 88B1D904-A072-48E8-9B81-7A778985AF57.jpeg
    88B1D904-A072-48E8-9B81-7A778985AF57.jpeg
    138.7 KB · Views: 41
1650307535542.png

My first bed build, for my daughter. An upgrade so we can use her toddler bed as cot for her brother/sister due July. We are planning a super king size build at some point, so this was my "test bed".

Used some redwood that warped so badly we had bananas in the fruit bowel that were straighter and less twisted. Took two weeks to build, with a week of that milling and lamination. Got to put my new OF1010 to use which was great. Really digging the MFT system, the rail was smashing to use.

Mattress and slats were from Ikea - the slats are actually ply, with a slight bend so there is no way I could get the wood cheaper than buying this. For what it's worth, a bed similar to this is £60. I spent £88 on the wood total (tenner for delivery).

My only regret is the stain. Parts look great (the long rails) while the headboard and some areas really show the defects and some funny blotching/staining. I believe this is down to the sap or something in the wood? When sanding it was very sticky in parts.

It only has to last a couple of years, then I'll build her a captains bed or something better/more her choosing. A lot of this can be recycled, so as a test I'm pretty happy. Much more confident when it comes to our bed. I do wonder if I'm the only one that is really scared to test their furniture out once they've made it, even though I know it's far overbuilt than anything I have had previously. Anyway good news, it's taken all three of us so it should hold up.

Last edited:
I made my bandsaw sharp. The blade was horribly dull and I wondered if I could sharpen it. A couple of strokes in the gullet and on the back of each tooth with a diamond file and it cut like a dream again!
8D8C8130-0C4A-476B-B6F2-72F81D946037.jpeg

Then I detensioned the blade and went for dinner. Came out to do a bit more stock breakdown for my workbench, all smug that I’d got the saw working. Proceeded to try to make a cut without tensioning the saw. A sudden Big Bang and an oh darn moment. Blade had come off the wheels and sausages
A79E0541-A654-48DB-A5DD-D49F3302D72D.jpeg

Pride comes before a fall! Managed to bend and bash it flat enough to complete the stock breakdown but need to order a new one as it vibrates a bit!

Fitz

Back