Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still messing about with Kumiko and came across a very interesting video of a jig for a mitre saw from Wood Art Studio that intrigued me.

I've built a version of the jig and used it to develop some new patterns to fill out the hexagonal lids blanks I had left over from the batch of boxes I made at Christmas (see post).

The jig has been a revelation when it comes to cutting the joints for both the gridwork and for the in fill pieces and opened up new possibilities.

kumiko 1.jpg

Another recent revelation is steamed tulip wood. I was in Northumberland in February and dropped in on Duffield Timber on the way home to see what oddments they had for sale. I picked up several thin boards of the steamed tulip wood from the scrap bin and I quite like it.

kumiko 2.jpg

The two light wood boxes are beech and pine to use up some off-cuts from the wood pile.

Orraloon,
here is her brother.....wife rescued them from a dumpster.......
we also foster new born pups as well.....
Diesel one of our 3 Border Collies, he just loves little ones....
one big happy family.....Cats (5) n dogs really get along well.........
View attachment 133021
their fav bed....clean washing......hahaha...
View attachment 133022
From someone who's wife is besotted with cats (we have 7) that is a lovely dog...

Nick
gotta say it's a pretty good cobble up (lol) but I always round over the corners......
to many times I've had a catch....getting older = loose skin......hahaha...
our stray...Polly....looks a bit like ur's......
View attachment 132975
IMG-20220202-WA0004.jpg

🤣Great shot!

Zena is a ragdoll siamese cross. She moved in with my partner a few years ago. I would have told you "I'm not a cat person" back then. But she's won me over.
IMG-20220310-WA0002.jpg

You all leave me in awe. I'm posting this as it's the latest thing I'm making. I've made many of them in the past but this is the first time I've used these woods in combination. In particular, padauk. The top and bottom are padauk, the mid sections are poplar and cherry. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that I had to be careful with the padauk bleeding. I spritzed the project with 90% denatured alcohol to see what it was going to look like after an oil finish. It immediately did this. I'm sad. If anybody has any suggestions other than the firebox, I'd love to hear them. Thanks.
Here is a follow up to my first post. I can't believe what craftspeople you all are. I am humbled to be in your company. I thought I'd show what I ended up with after doing what I call "repairs". I decided to soak the whole thing in water to see if the color would bleed and blend and make it a more even colored mess. Anyway, what I found was that it's not the water but the alcohol that made the padauk bleed. So, after 24 hours of soaking the glue let go and I was able to disassemble the whole thing. I let it all dry out and then did a re-glue. The color has evened out now to a sort of pinkish hue. I'm actually pretty happy with the results. Let me know what you all think of this "amateurish" attempt at scrolling a basket. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220402_130940.jpg
    20220402_130940.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 75
Here is a follow up to my first post. I can't believe what craftspeople you all are. I am humbled to be in your company. I thought I'd show what I ended up with after doing what I call "repairs". I decided to soak the whole thing in water to see if the color would bleed and blend and make it a more even colored mess. Anyway, what I found was that it's not the water but the alcohol that made the padauk bleed. So, after 24 hours of soaking the glue let go and I was able to disassemble the whole thing. I let it all dry out and then did a re-glue. The color has evened out now to a sort of pinkish hue. I'm actually pretty happy with the results. Let me know what you all think of this "amateurish" attempt at scrolling a basket. Thanks.
That has turned out fantastic. A beautiful basket weave.

Beautiful pice of work there 😍

I made a mini greenhouse for my wife for her birthday. I looked online but I didn't like any of them so ended up making one.
Used cedar offcuts left over from my garden room build. I had to buy the acrylic, which cost £110 amazingly. BandQ possibly not the cheapest place to buy that but I didn't have time to look around as only had 2 days to build it.
I used half lap joints glued together for all the frames. Was planning on bridle joints but the wood is only 20mm think and I thought that wouldn't work very well.
Quite pleased with it, although it's not perfect. I should really have housed the acrylic in rebates but pushed for time so just screwed it to the wood.
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_121128.jpg
    IMG_20220405_121128.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20220405_132907.jpg
    IMG_20220405_132907.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 115
I made a mini greenhouse for my wife for her birthday. I looked online but I didn't like any of them so ended up making one.
Used cedar offcuts left over from my garden room build. I had to buy the acrylic, which cost £110 amazingly. BandQ possibly not the cheapest place to buy that but I didn't have time to look around as only had 2 days to build it.
I used half lap joints glued together for all the frames. Was planning on bridle joints but the wood is only 20mm think and I thought that wouldn't work very well.
Quite pleased with it, although it's not perfect. I should really have housed the acrylic in rebates but pushed for time so just screwed it to the wood.
Martin
Looks, great. Shocked at the cost of acrylic though.

Back