Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JakeS":3fwatkc3 said:
DTR":3fwatkc3 said:
Fortunately I only own one book anyway. I got the support method from a furniture making book written in the late forties

I had no idea Nineteen Eighty-Four was about furniture making! I must read it again, clearly I've got it mixed up with something else. ;-)

lol

6apu5yqe.jpg

Castaway man with Wilson. Carved and whittled from spalted silver birch and walnut.

Nice work.

Have you made these sort of things before? Over the years I have found making a tool holder in timber can result in rusting of tool because timber takes up I assume some of the local humidity in a workshop. Perhaps your environment is different to mine.

Have others had any adverse effects?

This is a first, I have copied the design from a nice old back saw that was owned by a fellow student on the ATC class.

DSC_0996_zps82bbe34a.jpg

DSC_0998_zpsa5fde769.jpg

My workshop is nice and dry but thanks for the tip off , i will keep an eye on it .

Cheers Bern :D

devonwoody":38h1blaj said:
Over the years I have found making a tool holder in timber can result in rusting of tool because timber takes up I assume some of the local humidity in a workshop. Have others had any adverse effects?

I have made the mistake of leaving assorted bits of timber on my TS, only to find a 'shadow' of surface rust a day or two later on removal.

Outfeed table for my table saw, folds down, still a work in progress but it works and I've used it, also home made push sticks on picture, took the plans from Mathias Wandels site, like them very much, will make another pair of thicker plywood:

14848192998_a0fa4e4161_c.jpg

bench for the kitchen from poplar with iroko and oak inserts, it has small castors set deep in to the base to allow bench to appear to float on the tiles

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0055.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0054.JPG
    DSC_0054.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC_0055.JPG
    DSC_0055.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 482
Made this over the last few days - Wh Am Oak veneered MDF for the sheets with solid Wh Am Oak face pieces - pocket hole joinery.

Finished with 3 coats of Danish Oil - first ever attempt at making and fitting draws, I need a little more practice at aligning the draw fronts.

I am still starting out with woodworking and this is my first ever cabinet so please critique away.

Attachments

• 20140826_143305.jpg
    20140826_143305.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 276
  • 20140826_143221.jpg
    20140826_143221.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 276
Mikeee":32opgpjb said:
Made this over the last few days - Wh Am Oak veneered MDF for the sheets with solid Wh Am Oak face pieces - pocket hole joinery.

Finished with 3 coats of Danish Oil - first ever attempt at making and fitting draws, I need a little more practice at aligning the draw fronts.

I am still starting out with woodworking and this is my first ever cabinet so please critique away.

You must be proud and satisfied, that is a good workpiece.

navypaul":3pbq3xvf said:
bench for the kitchen from poplar with iroko and oak inserts, it has small castors set deep in to the base to allow bench to appear to float on the tiles

I like your design and work on that piece

DennisCA":22hj8zn5 said:
Outfeed table for my table saw, folds down, still a work in progress but it works and I've used it, also home made push sticks on picture, took the plans from Mathias Wandels site, like them very much, will make another pair of thicker plywood:

14848192998_a0fa4e4161_c.jpg

Yes interesting.

Made use of the three overhead cupboards left over from our eBay kitchen:

Added the top, valance, some paint and handles.

I'm pleased with the result, but more to the point so is our lass :)

Ade

Attachments

• Sideboard.jpg
    Sideboard.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for the comments on my guitar, yes I think it was worth the work in end. Bench what's wrong with your Gibson? I think repairing can sometimes be harder than making!

mfarrar":3nzsmf3u said:
Thanks for the comments on my guitar, yes I think it was worth the work in end. Bench what's wrong with your Gibson? I think repairing can sometimes be harder than making!

Hi MF...

I was getting at the fact your work is good enough for anyone to entrust a guitar to you. In my case, there'd be the distance factor!

The Gibson needs a couple of replacement frets, but the fingerboard is also 'bound', so any problems are magnified. Fortunately, I discovered that John Diggins is still working and is just the other side of the city, so I will probably take it to him. As you say, repairs are more of a problem than making, but to keep an expensive guitar in service, they are necessary. If only to give my son something worth selling, come the day! :mrgreen:

Cheers
John :D

Benchwayze":3ttd7xoa said:
mfarrar":3ttd7xoa said:

Hi MF...

I was getting at the fact your work is good enough for anyone to entrust a guitar to you. In my case, there'd be the distance factor!

The Gibson needs a couple of replacement frets, but the fingerboard is also 'bound', so any problems are magnified. Fortunately, I discovered that John Diggins is still working and is just the other side of the city, so I will probably take it to him. As you say, repairs are more of a problem than making, but to keep an expensive guitar in service, they are necessary. If only to give my son something worth selling, come the day! :mrgreen:

Cheers
John :D

I did have a lot of help on the build from a luthier, couldn't have done it on my own as this was my first woodworking project.

Replacing frets should be quite easy, if they aren't glued they come out quite easy with the right tool. Not sure about the fret binding, if the fret just sits ontop of the binding then I guess the fret wire tongue that goes into the fret slot is probably just removed where the binding is. If that's the case I can't see a guitar tech charging much, though I don't know what they generally charge.

Nice artwork by the way, I particularly like Autumn fire.

Latest posts

Back