Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again,

The missus liked my previous TV stand so I decided to knock up a sofa end table to match (opened up access to the shelf, reduced the width and used just one draw).

20140829_121715.jpg

And with the matching TV stand (still yet to get the electronic units to go in the shelf under the TV!)

20140829_121232.jpg

As with the first one, all is made with Wh Am Oak veneered MDF for the sheets and Solid Wh Am Oak face pieces. 3 coats of Danish oil to finish.

20140829_122331.jpg

20140829_122104.jpg

20140829_121929.jpg

For those who are interested - all the materials cost around £100 in total (both projects) and i still have some 171mm x 19mm oak PAR left plus some random bits of 19mm oak veneer mdf. Thinking of a magazine rack to supplement the sofa foot stool.

This last project took two days to build and finish (last coat of oil is drying now).

Attachments

• 20140829_121715.jpg
    20140829_121715.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 496
  • 20140829_122331.jpg
    20140829_122331.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 20140829_122104.jpg
    20140829_122104.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 20140829_121929.jpg
    20140829_121929.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 20140829_121232.jpg
    20140829_121232.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 496
Replacing frets should be quite easy, if they aren't glued they come out quite easy with the right tool. Not sure about the fret binding, if the fret just sits ontop of the binding then I guess the fret wire tongue that goes into the fret slot is probably just removed where the binding is. If that's the case I can't see a guitar tech charging much, though I don't know what they generally charge.

On Gibsons the frets are bookended by the binding, rather than overlapping it. At each fret end a little nub of binding covers the fret end. Replacement frets need to be precisely fitted in between these nubs, unless you or for the less conservative approach of a complete refret and removing the nubs. This can be damaging to the instrument value, despite being more practical, and providing additional fret width for extreme string bends.

Setch":20qqvazz said:
Replacing frets should be quite easy, if they aren't glued they come out quite easy with the right tool. Not sure about the fret binding, if the fret just sits ontop of the binding then I guess the fret wire tongue that goes into the fret slot is probably just removed where the binding is. If that's the case I can't see a guitar tech charging much, though I don't know what they generally charge.

On Gibsons the frets are bookended by the binding, rather than overlapping it. At each fret end a little nub of binding covers the fret end. Replacement frets need to be precisely fitted in between these nubs, unless you or for the less conservative approach of a complete refret and removing the nubs. This can be damaging to the instrument value, despite being more practical, and providing additional fret width for extreme string bends.

Thanks Setch.

Either way, I have to get this done. The frets are well-worn; so low they are causing buzzing due to fouling the higher frets when the strings are depressed. It's also affecting intonation, so it's going to be a costly little interlude! Still, at least the guitar will be worth selling, come the day my stuff is dispersed! :mrgreen: This is a jazz guitar Setch, so any 'bends' are not extreme. :D

Back to the thread please! :lol:

John

gregmcateer":qk4y3x0k said:
Nice work, Mikee. Should keep her quiet for a while
Hah cheers, so i too would have thought - her order book is getting larger by the day.

devonwoody":qk4y3x0k said:
Mickee, coming from your locality you have got to be good.
Unfortunately I have only just moved here so have none of the furniture making skills in my blood.

Thanks all for your kind comments!

I had loads of slithers of wood which would have otherwise been cut up for firewood and thought I'd try making something useful.
4e6e6uvu.jpg

Took ALOT longer than I thought, i made 16 in total. I left the oak sawn with just a light sanding and fixed them together with staples and a blob of pva. I've got some silver cable ties coming which should hopefully hold all the crates together. I did try using copper twisty ties that they use on potato bags but they digged in a bit too much. Should provide a bit of much needed storage, just the time it took was a bit mind numbing !

I've just this minute put the first coat of wax onto my latest scroll saw creation.
Dsc00278.jpg
Dsc00279.jpg

Dsc00292.jpg
Dsc00294.jpg

Originally made as one tall bowl I sliced the top three rings off to make into a separate dish in which the bottom half now sits.

Attachments

• Dsc00278.jpg
    Dsc00278.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Dsc00279.jpg
    Dsc00279.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 364
  • Dsc00292.jpg
    Dsc00292.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Dsc00294.jpg
    Dsc00294.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 364
I think you should do a WIP of one of those Col, looks v.nice, and I'd have it sussed but for the black inserts.

ColeyS1":zimkk2cv said:
I had loads of slithers of wood which would have otherwise been cut up for firewood and thought I'd try making something useful.
4e6e6uvu.jpg

Took ALOT longer than I thought, i made 16 in total. I left the oak sawn with just a light sanding and fixed them together with staples and a blob of pva. I've got some silver cable ties coming which should hopefully hold all the crates together. I did try using copper twisty ties that they use on potato bags but they digged in a bit too much. Should provide a bit of much needed storage, just the time it took was a bit mind numbing !

I admire your tenacity and patience Coley.

I should do this. I have mucho scrap I could use to make scrap storage! I'd stick 'em at the foot of the drive with a price tag on them. :mrgreen:

Last thing i made for some friends premature twins...made from reclaimed oak from an old welsh dresser that was in a right state!!
IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2741.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2741.JPG
    IMG_2741.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 653
These are two desk paper trays. They are for a musician with a lot of big scores to keep tidy so they are A3 size, though one has a removable divider to take 2 x A4 if necessary.
The sides are redwood (old leftover bits of t&g boarding) and the bottoms are 4mm ash faced ply (left over from a bookcase project). Construction was a groove for the bottom and ordinary through dovetails at the corners, with a little mitre to hide the ends of the ploughed through grooves.
All hand tool work. Not the neatest (so no close ups) but they hold together. Finished with spirit sanding sealer and wax.

20140901_172017_zpsp7oqkz37.jpg

20140901_172057_zpsnrde0fke.jpg

DSC_0010_zps7553ff07.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsfe9eee97.jpg

DSC_0015_zps9e194c11.jpg

Dovetail template for my Dad, made 20 of these for my fellow students on the Schwarz tool chest class . Dad liked the look of them and wanted one so this is the first of the next batch . Made from birds eye maple and babinga 1 in 6 pitch.

Cheers Bern :D

I consider this my first actual woodworking project as opposed to whatever rough jobs I've done so far in the garage. A simple shoe rack (might want to shellac it yet) made from surplus material after housebuilding, made it during sunday-monday:

14920983819_a93c18f8aa_c.jpg

14920986349_c14a52ccd9_c.jpg

14921117827_f596902984_c.jpg

Even as small a project as it was I felt I learned how to do better / differently in the future when cutting grooves and tenons (almost all work done on my table saw, then light sanding)

Benchwayze":3igxn9yb said:
ColeyS1":3igxn9yb said:
4e6e6uvu.jpg

I admire your tenacity and patience Coley.

I should do this. I have mucho scrap I could use to make scrap storage! I'd stick 'em at the foot of the drive with a price tag on them. :mrgreen:
Thanks John. I knew after the first 3 it was gonna take a little longer then I expected. It'd be alot quicker if you were to buy in planks specifically for the job, but where's the fun in that :lol:
My mate asked me what they were for and I convinced him I was buying potatoes to store over the winter which would last me through till the new year :D

Back