Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monkeybiter":29xy7oju said:
Richiet":29xy7oju said:
I've studied each page of this thread and come to this conclusion............................I ain't posting pictures of my rubbish on here. :oops:

Some really inspirational pieces.

This thread needs pictures of everyday run of the mill stuff that gets knocked out just as much [if not more than] as the high quality output of some of the members, to encourage and include the rest of us that just enjoy the making rather than excel at it. I know I appreciate the opportunity to post a picccy of something I've made that wouldn't justify a thread of it's own. The postings are frequent enough that your embarrassment won't last long, and you would have helped to keep this as a window into the ordinary, allowing others [like me] to just show some of the normal day-to-day output.

I completely agree.... don't be shy... everyone enjoys pictures. .. and there's always beauty in someone's eyes... everyone's tastes are different! ... come on... it's good to share!

Richiet":1d3s5wgq said:
I've studied each page of this thread and come to this conclusion............................I ain't posting pictures of my rubbish on here. :oops:

I specifically posted pictures of my extremely dull and not very good window frames to encourage others.
Looks like I should've posted some of my internationally acclaimed award winning Gold Medal work instead..............if I had some.

Don't be shy - we've had a bunch of onions, a door frame repair and a door wedge - not exactly intimidating stuff (although the door wedge exuded class!)
Paul TDI also showed off his first practice mortice and tenon that looked like he'd done it with his teeth - still better than most of mine are now!! He must have better teeth than me :D :D
Every single one of us cut our first joint at some early part of our woodworking career and almost certainly 99.9% of them were shocking. But we practice and persevere and they get steadily less shocking.

I'm dreading showing the coming together of my workbench but I know that I'll get some good advice and encouragement.

So go for it. If nothing else it encourages you to keep at it and get better.

I see it this way.

If we post all kinds of work from the mundane through sublime and onto the 'esoteric', then we'll all benefit, from getting ideas, seeing how someone else has tackled similar jobs, and even what not to do.

I think this thread is one of the best. (Right up there with sharpening .............................................. er, saws!) :mrgreen:

So even if it's only a teapot stand, please post it. :D

John

monkeybiter":3onixj7e said:
Richiet":3onixj7e said:

This thread needs pictures of everyday run of the mill stuff that gets knocked out just as much [if not more than] as the high quality output of some of the members, to encourage and include the rest of us that just enjoy the making rather than excel at it. I know I appreciate the opportunity to post a picccy of something I've made that wouldn't justify a thread of it's own. The postings are frequent enough that your embarrassment won't last long, and you would have helped to keep this as a window into the ordinary, allowing others [like me] to just show some of the normal day-to-day output.

Absolutely!

Here's a shelf. Go me.

IMG_0883.jpg

I reckon with a thicker board you could probably put a second book on that shelf, or at least a thick pamphlet. Interesting support method.

Two more from me.

First a bit of extra storage for the man-cave and second, a 1hour sword for SWMBO's nephew.

Attachments

• sword.jpeg
    sword.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 191
  • toolstoreage.jpg
    toolstoreage.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 191
Grazor":i7rcyytm said:
Two more from me.
First a bit of extra storage for the man-cave and second, a 1hour sword for SWMBO's nephew.

Ha! I just did the sword thing the other day - the boy wanted to build something in the workshop. I managed to talk him out of an actual working jet aircraft. We settled on swords for him and his little sister. Anything to get him off Minecraft for a bit! ...and I can confirm that carving a 'C' in softwood with nothing more than a blunt bevel edge chisel is harder than it looks! :D

Attachments

• IMG_4627a.jpg
    IMG_4627a.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_4625a.jpg
    IMG_4625a.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 133
Here's a rough-and-ready pizza peel I knocked up out of a few pieces of 12 x 70 mm timber.
Jointed on the table saw, I'm surprised it hasn't fallen apart yet.
My photography is nearly as bad as my woodwork!

Attachments

• PizzaPeel.jpg
    PizzaPeel.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 370
monkeybiter":3unpoh7l said:
I reckon with a thicker board you could probably put a second book on that shelf, or at least a thick pamphlet. Interesting support method.

Fortunately I only own one book anyway. I got the support method from a furniture making book written in the late forties, but I expect the idea is a lot older than that. There's an American firm now that's making these strips to order, and are actually in the process of patenting the idea. How you can patent an strip of wood with some notches in it that woodworkers have been using for years is beyond me....

We have a very old French Armoire and it has notches like that for the shelves..…probably built before America was invented ! :)

image.jpg

Excuse the rubbish in the background. This is a few hours work this afternoon.

Timber was bought in planed from British hardwoods for much the same as it would have cost me to do, when you factor in wastage and time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 495
Marcros, you gave me a crick in the neck looking at that one, and then my web page froze also for one reason or another, so you upset it as well. :)

You certainly look after your plants.

Sorry, dw!

The price if the oak was comparable to 4 pieces of trellis from b and q so it isn't that extravagant. We don't charge ourself labour on these projects and it got me out of the house whilst the outlaws were visiting!

DTR":nennadks said:
Fortunately I only own one book anyway. I got the support method from a furniture making book written in the late forties

I had no idea Nineteen Eighty-Four was about furniture making! I must read it again, clearly I've got it mixed up with something else. ;-)

Latest posts

Back