Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only the last thing I made but actually the first piece of furniture I've made.

Ripped out the old built in wardrobes because they were terribly inefficient use of the space.
W-rippedOut.jpg

Built 4 seperate carcasses with matching top boxes from 18mm MR MDF, bolting them onto a plinth. Added IKEA lighting (Green masking tap over the sensors).

W-franes.jpg

W-inside.jpg

Routed a vertical channel into the side of the tall shelving unit and added a motion triggered LED light strip. Still had some touching up to do on the paint work here, nicely highlighted by the lights!

W-Lights.jpg

All finished off with doors made by Homestyle, we wanted a gloss finish in the end and there was no way I'd be able to achieve this, so bit the bullet and had them made:

W-finished.jpg

Just waiting now to get the rest of the room decorated (need a bit of plastering done as well), after which I'll scribe the infills and finish them.

I'd just like to also say a big thanks to all of you that commented on my posts, this help immensely not only in validating the choices I'd made but also helping my confidence to push on and get this done.

Next on the list is a new drinks cabinet for my new Perfect Draft Pro and my youngest wants his built in wardrobes ripping out and redoing as well!

Many of you were kind enough to [Like] the last item I posted on this thread (Early December) so I was encouraged to document the next [Box] I found myself having to make as a Christmas Present. A little larger than the Brooch Box at 135 x 130 x 50 mm but still using the same secret button/catch design.

Cat Box A.png
My Grandson recently began his first ‘relationship’, a lovely girl who happens to be ‘into’ cats - having 3 Siamese. This gave me a ‘hook’ as to the design. The fact that I have some small sheets of Abalone made me consider using that as the Cats Eye.

I soon found a couple of images of Siamese and tested them for suitability. The second image quickly became the preferred one on a number of counts - - - It had a good ‘Eye’ but also an ‘Ear’ which could also be ‘picked out’ in a different colour Abalone.​
Eye-Ear Detail A.png

I’d already made the decision to make the box lid from some Hard Maple so as a contrast it made sense to make the ‘Cat’ from Olive - the main box is Amarican Black Walnut. I’ve done quite a bit of ‘inlaid’ work since I bought a Denford CNC machine about 2½ years ago so I knew I could cut a 2mm deep recess and the outline of the cat in Olive. Here’s the detail showing the Abalone Eye & Ear - also CNC'd - the eye is 6mm x 3mm, cut out with a 0.7mm Ø carbide mill using a DoC of 0.05mm!

The concept of a secret button/catch for the lid was well established but I’d previously made a box with a secret drawer as well but I hadn’t been happy with the method of retaining it - which was from the back - so I needed to design a new method of holding (& releasing) the drawer.

Bringing that to the front meant that all the mechanisms were incorporated into the 20mm high static front.​

Top Front Built A.png
This is the Front of the box with the various parts installed. . . . .

. . . . . and here is an exploded view, anotated . . . .

Top Front Exploded B.png

In this exploded view there is :
1 : Release Button (Ebony)
2 : 1mm Ø St.Steel Pin
3 : Retaining Hook - 2 Part, Plate (6x4mm) & Pin (6mm x 2mm Ø) Screwed together M2
4 : Main Catch (Body, Hook, Pivot Pin & Spring)
5 : Release Pin Retainer (Ebony) 4mm Ø x 2mm with 1.6mm Ø hole
6 : Lid Lifting Pin (so that the Lid ‘pops’ open - Brass)
7 & 10 : 1.5mm x 9.6mm Spring
8 : Drawer Release Button (Maple)
11 : Drawer Catch Pressure Pin (2mm Ø Brass)
12 : Drawer Catch Pivot (4mm Ø x 2mm Brass)
13 : Drawer Catch (1mm Brass)
14 : Pivot Pin (St. Steel)

The ‘Back’ originally had the hinges incorporated but after accidentally dropping the near completed box (at 12noon on Christmas Day!! - meeting the recipient at 1pm!) which destroyed the wooden versions so I decided to make them from Brass.
Hinge Detail A.png

Back Exploded A.png

The image also shows the springs which force the drawer to open. These are 4mm Ø ~7mm free length and are retained by using close-fit Maple plugs 3mm long. The second image shows the hinge detail along with the ‘mortice’ into which the Brass Hinge is glued (CA). The next image shows the back fully assembled (The copper disc is my ‘signature’ which is a stamping of my Silversmith's Mark).​

Back A.png
The base of the top section is lined with 100% Silk Velvet but with the best will in the world I couldn’t get an exact clean fit without some ‘ragged’ edge so I made some 2mm Quadrant to cover the small gaps (and inhibit future fraying!)

Top Section A.png
This also shows the Catch, Pop-Up & Drawer release Button in context. The drawer is also lined with the same Velvet which includes the sides, back & front, I’m trusting that fraying won’t be an issue here!

Finally, a photo' of the 'open' box where (if you have good eyesight) you can just about make out the 'Secret' button.

Box Open A.png

First and poss last time playing with epoxy , solid piece of oak base , 1:24 scale , 3D printed numbers via Etsy
It Was fun to do , made the former with MDF and covered it in tape prior to pouring , lots of sanding and polishing

Some issues with paint form tne wheels reacting with the epoxy giving a slight haze at the top , but my friend loved it so all was good

Attachments

• 843C469C-8800-43E4-BB2C-9E68AAE19C8E.png
    843C469C-8800-43E4-BB2C-9E68AAE19C8E.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2E56B4EF-3977-42FC-950C-EE261DA2C71F.png
    2E56B4EF-3977-42FC-950C-EE261DA2C71F.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E3246E8-529B-4446-97D3-B7C53E2258B5.jpeg
    3E3246E8-529B-4446-97D3-B7C53E2258B5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7546B512-014A-44B4-BC66-C594CBDCEB8F.jpeg
    7546B512-014A-44B4-BC66-C594CBDCEB8F.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7878F56F-5858-4DB2-AC98-0054008BB5AC.jpeg
    7878F56F-5858-4DB2-AC98-0054008BB5AC.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6D6189DF-5EB3-434C-A514-88853B1F462C.jpeg
    6D6189DF-5EB3-434C-A514-88853B1F462C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • A9DD0118-59CD-461D-AC9A-CF31FA65AA6B.jpeg
    A9DD0118-59CD-461D-AC9A-CF31FA65AA6B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
First and poss last time playing with epoxy , solid piece of oak base , 1:24 scale , 3D printed numbers via Etsy
It Was fun to do , made the former with MDF and covered it in tape prior to pouring , lots of sanding and polishing

Some issues with paint form tne wheels reacting with the epoxy giving a slight haze at the top , but my friend loved it so all was good
He's not going far in that car!!

Not only the last thing I made but actually the first piece of furniture I've made.

Ripped out the old built in wardrobes because they were terribly inefficient use of the space.
View attachment 150439

Built 4 seperate carcasses with matching top boxes from 18mm MR MDF, bolting them onto a plinth. Added IKEA lighting (Green masking tap over the sensors).

View attachment 150440

View attachment 150442

Routed a vertical channel into the side of the tall shelving unit and added a motion triggered LED light strip. Still had some touching up to do on the paint work here, nicely highlighted by the lights!

View attachment 150441

All finished off with doors made by Homestyle, we wanted a gloss finish in the end and there was no way I'd be able to achieve this, so bit the bullet and had them made:

View attachment 150443

Just waiting now to get the rest of the room decorated (need a bit of plastering done as well), after which I'll scribe the infills and finish them.

I'd just like to also say a big thanks to all of you that commented on my posts, this help immensely not only in validating the choices I'd made but also helping my confidence to push on and get this done.

Next on the list is a new drinks cabinet for my new Perfect Draft Pro and my youngest wants his built in wardrobes ripping out and redoing as well!

Awesome, you must be chuffed to bits with your work and the outcome!

Many of you were kind enough to [Like] the last item I posted on this thread (Early December) so I was encouraged to document the next [Box] I found myself having to make as a Christmas Present. A little larger than the Brooch Box at 135 x 130 x 50 mm but still using the same secret button/catch design.

View attachment 150449My Grandson recently began his first ‘relationship’, a lovely girl who happens to be ‘into’ cats - having 3 Siamese. This gave me a ‘hook’ as to the design. The fact that I have some small sheets of Abalone made me consider using that as the Cats Eye.

I soon found a couple of images of Siamese and tested them for suitability. The second image quickly became the preferred one on a number of counts - - - It had a good ‘Eye’ but also an ‘Ear’ which could also be ‘picked out’ in a different colour Abalone.​
View attachment 150451
I’d already made the decision to make the box lid from some Hard Maple so as a contrast it made sense to make the ‘Cat’ from Olive - the main box is Amarican Black Walnut. I’ve done quite a bit of ‘inlaid’ work since I bought a Denford CNC machine about 2½ years ago so I knew I could cut a 2mm deep recess and the outline of the cat in Olive. Here’s the detail showing the Abalone Eye & Ear - also CNC'd - the eye is 6mm x 3mm, cut out with a 0.7mm Ø carbide mill using a DoC of 0.05mm!

The concept of a secret button/catch for the lid was well established but I’d previously made a box with a secret drawer as well but I hadn’t been happy with the method of retaining it - which was from the back - so I needed to design a new method of holding (& releasing) the drawer.

Bringing that to the front meant that all the mechanisms were incorporated into the 20mm high static front.​
This is the Front of the box with the various parts installed. . . . .

. . . . . and here is an exploded view, anotated . . . .

In this exploded view there is :
1 : Release Button (Ebony)
2 : 1mm Ø St.Steel Pin
3 : Retaining Hook - 2 Part, Plate (6x4mm) & Pin (6mm x 2mm Ø) Screwed together M2
4 : Main Catch (Body, Hook, Pivot Pin & Spring)
5 : Release Pin Retainer (Ebony) 4mm Ø x 2mm with 1.6mm Ø hole
6 : Lid Lifting Pin (so that the Lid ‘pops’ open - Brass)
7 & 10 : 1.5mm x 9.6mm Spring
8 : Drawer Release Button (Maple)
11 : Drawer Catch Pressure Pin (2mm Ø Brass)
12 : Drawer Catch Pivot (4mm Ø x 2mm Brass)
13 : Drawer Catch (1mm Brass)
14 : Pivot Pin (St. Steel)

The ‘Back’ originally had the hinges incorporated but after accidentally dropping the near completed box (at 12noon on Christmas Day!! - meeting the recipient at 1pm!) which destroyed the wooden versions so I decided to make them from Brass.
View attachment 150456
View attachment 150455

The image also shows the springs which force the drawer to open. These are 4mm Ø ~7mm free length and are retained by using close-fit Maple plugs 3mm long. The second image shows the hinge detail along with the ‘mortice’ into which the Brass Hinge is glued (CA). The next image shows the back fully assembled (The copper disc is my ‘signature’ which is a stamping of my Silversmith's Mark).​
The base of the top section is lined with 100% Silk Velvet but with the best will in the world I couldn’t get an exact clean fit without some ‘ragged’ edge so I made some 2mm Quadrant to cover the small gaps (and inhibit future fraying!)
This also shows the Catch, Pop-Up & Drawer release Button in context. The drawer is also lined with the same Velvet which includes the sides, back & front, I’m trusting that fraying won’t be an issue here!

Finally, a photo' of the 'open' box where (if you have good eyesight) you can just about make out the 'Secret' button.

View attachment 150463

That's beautiful, enjoyed reading you're write up too 👍👏👏

I've got fed up of carrying around my heavy tool bag full of stuff I hardly ever use so I had a play around over Christmas and made these inserts for a Systainer tool tote to take my most used tools. The only stipulation was everything must go in and out really easily. They are a bit scruffy but it's only a tool box.

I'm thinking of becoming a Youtuber as I could quite happily spend my time making stuff like this but never actually making anything :unsure:

Tote 1.jpg

Tote 2.jpg

Tote 3.jpg

Tote 4.jpg

Tote 5.jpg

Awesome, you must be chuffed to bits with your work and the outcome!
Absolutely! I probably spent more on tools than I really should but I don't have an excuse to not do more now. I also agonised over the details a bit too much but more confidence and practice will help there.

A couple of stacking end tables for our new house. I thought i would have a go making these from walnut veneered particle board, its probably the last time i will use it in this application, it was an absolute PITA when coming to finishing and sanding as so little room for error, ended up going through the veneer on the mitres in a couple of places even when sanding by hand so i need to think up some kind of fix for that.

Then I also got some foam flooring panels for my workshop to make it a bit more comfy. A great Costco find, cost around $150 all in for that lot which i was very happy with.

As you can see my workshop is very much a work in progress still but right now building furniture is a priority so it remains a tip and organised just about enough for me to work in it.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 9.06.00 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-06 at 9.06.00 AM.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221224_165958431.jpg
    PXL_20221224_165958431.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Well ladies and gents today I made...... a mess of my face. Came out to the maker space, checked the workpiece was secure between centres and started it up, was running at low gear so 450rpm and I wasn't a cut so change it to 3rd 2000rpm, turned it on and before it got to full speed it flew off and hit me square in the nose, I guess I'm lucky it was rounded off so no sharp pointy bits, luckily nothing is broken but oh boy was there a lot of blood, it's a bit sore and some may say it's made some improvements but it really does show how it only takes a split second for things to go wrong.
IMG-20230106-WA0001.jpeg
20230106_144044.jpg

Well ladies and gents today I made...... a mess of my face. Came out to the maker space, checked the workpiece was secure between centres and started it up, was running at low gear so 450rpm and I wasn't a cut so change it to 3rd 2000rpm, turned it on and before it got to full speed it flew off and hit me square in the nose, I guess I'm lucky it was rounded off so no sharp pointy bits, luckily nothing is broken but oh boy was there a lot of blood, it's a bit sore and some may say it's made some improvements but it really does show how it only takes a split second for things to go wrong.
View attachment 150604View attachment 150605
Holy rubbish. I do see a first aid kit in the picture above your right shoulder. you are damn lucky. Where was your head gear!

Holy rubbish. I do see a first aid kit in the picture above your right shoulder. you are damn lucky. Where was your head gear!
I stupidly had taken it off while I changed the belt speed then turned it on, the piece came off before I could turn round to get my gear, I'm just lucky the piece of sycamore is so spalted and dry that there was no real weight to it, had it been a piece of solid oak it either wouldn't have come off the lathe (was mounted between centres) or if it had then I would easily be in hospital now.

Strewth @Stigmorgan . Glad you're OK. Reminds me of something that happened to me in my youth. I had a Citroen DS. Gearbox was bust (another story). The input shaft was a different size on the secondhand GBx I had bought so I was stripping downmy original GBx. I couldn't pull the bearing from the front of the shaft so, having removed the cage, was grinding into the inner race to remove the balls. I'd finished so turned the Black and Decker grinder off, bent down to put the box on the floor. I heard a rattling above me then a clunk at the far end of the garage then more rattling there. I stood up too find the nut had come loose on the grinder letting the stone come off and fly across the garage above my head. Still hate to think what a spinning grindstone would have done to me had i remained standing

I stupidly had taken it off while I changed the belt speed then turned it on, the piece came off before I could turn round to get my gear, I'm just lucky the piece of sycamore is so spalted and dry that there was no real weight to it, had it been a piece of solid oak it either wouldn't have come off the lathe (was mounted between centres) or if it had then I would easily be in hospital now.
you are really lucky! buy a lottery ticket today. my math could be wrong but the outside of a 9 inch bowl going 2000 rpm is doing about 42 km an hour.

Last edited:
View attachment 150604View attachment 150605
Pleased to hear that you came out ok if a little bruised! I've recently got myself a full face visor and certainly does make me feel a bit more protected rather than the goggles that I've been using. Take it easy out there Comrade!

you are really lucky! buy a lottery ticket today. my math could be wrong but the outside of a 9 inch bowl going 2000 rpm is doing about 42 km an hour.
Very lucky, not much point of pondering the "what if's " but had it been a piece of solid oak instead then either it would not have come off the lathe or I would currently be undergoing reconstruction surgery to my face, a sobering thought to be sure. Use you're PPE guys you never know when you will need it until it's too late.

That would hurt. Its a good reminder for the rest of us to avoid being complacent at the lathe. I think we all know what we should do its just at times we dont always do it.
Regards
John

Back