Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a bit of an experiment. Most forums I've been on have had a "Post pics of [something topical]" thread, but not this one. There's probably a good reason for that, but I'm going to stick my neck out anyway.

The idea is, quite simply, to post a photo of the last thing you made. It can be something quite insignificant, a component of something bigger, or a completed project. It can be something that's not thread-worthy on its own, or it can be something that already has a 9 page WIP thread in the Projects section, it really doesn't matter! It's just a bit of fun, but hopefully it will generate some discussion too.

So here's my offering to get the ball rolling. I could have posted a photo of a mug of tea, but that's hardly relevant. This is a replacement guide knob for SWMBO's Burgess bandsaw. Formally it was in the care of her Dad, who isn't the most mechanically minded, hence why it needed a bit of a spruce up before going back into service!

4AE52A01-AAFD-4813-8F34-C55D8209C5E5-234-0000006EEEAED070_zpsa1b2a1f3.jpg

This Lazy Kate was made for a friend who spins yarn from her alpacas and then interlaces the yarn. The oak board from which it was made had a knot hole which is incorporated into the base. The stainless steel rods and knobs were made to mate with filing (a chainsaw file chucked into a portable drill to enlarge the hole a bit) and hammer blows. The mahogany stain was applied as a glaze to an initial coat of shellac and was protected with a final coat of Tru-Oil, a product used chiefly on gunstocks. This sequence is alchemy, not thoughtful intent, but my friend says the color closely matches the color of her Kromski spinning wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
This Lazy Kate was made for a friend who spins yarn from her alpacas and then interlaces the yarn. The oak board from which it was made had a knot hole which is incorporated into the base. The stainless steel rods and knobs were made to mate with filing (a chainsaw file chucked into a portable drill to enlarge the hole a bit) and hammer blows. The mahogany stain was applied as a glaze to an initial coat of shellac and was protected with a final coat of Tru-Oil, a product used chiefly on gunstocks. This sequence is alchemy, not thoughtful intent, but my friend says the color closely matches the color of her Kromski spinning wheel.
Nice job. Well done.
You might find one of my earlier threads " Twisted " of interest.
Herself, spins Suri Alpaca, so have made a few bits to help along the way.

I did it inadvertently. Sadly, I could not figure out how to post without referencing the initial post. I'd be grateful if you could instruct me.

I did it inadvertently. Sadly, I could not figure out how to post without referencing the initial post. I'd be grateful if you could instruct me.
Now that you've appeared again Bruce, you can answer a question that came into my mind just a few days ago:-
Does the originator of this thread get a notification every time another post is added?
Brian

Now that you've appeared again Bruce, you can answer a question that came into my mind just a few days ago:-
Does the originator of this thread get a notification every time another post is added?
Brian
Brian, I am just a late responder and not the originator.

Brian
The originator needs to watch the thread the same as the rest of us.

A
I'll answer my own question. It looks as though the originator left the scene some 3½ years ago after 3075 posts on this thread, This is the 8130th so I guess he's not seeing them anymore.

To create a new post in any thread, go to the bottom of the window and start typing:

New_Post.png

Correct. Any thread can be watched by any member, with or without email notification, by selecting the "Watch" link at the top of the screen. After selecting "Watch", the link will change to "Unwatch". This will allow you to stop watching a thread.

Watch-1.png

I'll answer my own question. It looks as though the originator left the scene some 3½ years ago after 3075 posts on this thread, This is the 8130th so I guess he's not seeing them anymore.

This happens.

To create a new post in any thread, go to the bottom of the window and start typing:

View attachment 150103

Correct. Any thread can be watched by any member, with or without email notification, by selecting the "Watch" link at the top of the screen. After selecting "Watch", the link will change to "Unwatch". This will allow you to stop watching a thread.

View attachment 150104

This happens.
Thanks for that Mike. I'd never taken any notice of that box before.
So, in brief, it is assumed that the OP wants to watch his own thread (seems natural), but if he doesn't he can unwatch it from that box and therefore not receive any more notifications.
Brian

I made my first platter this week and although I should have made a wider recess for better stability, I'm rather chuffed with how it turned out. I also turned a couple of Tea Light holders from a bit of Oak that I had spare, one of them has pith and a couple of faults in the wood, I'm just calling it character. :whistle:

20221227_130449.jpg

20221227_142007.jpg

20221226_172714.jpg

I made my first platter this week and although I should have made a wider recess for better stability, I'm rather chuffed with how it turned out. I also turned a couple of Tea Light holders from a bit of Oak that I had spare, one of them has pith and a couple of faults in the wood, I'm just calling it character. :whistle:

View attachment 150135

View attachment 150136
In picture one, how is it supported on the lathe?
I take it that a dovetail chuck will support the tennon you have made on the underneath, but how did you support it to create the tennon?

Three home made oval shaker boxes successfully gifted to my three favourite girls for Christmas. The product of some new woodworking skills learned from a master craftsman earlier in the year. The most tactile and appreciated gifts I've made to date 😎
IMG_20221222_142543.jpg

IMG_20221222_142500.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221222_142500.jpg
    IMG_20221222_142500.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back