Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was given some old floorboards that had been taken up in a farm house - Japanese Oak. I made some alcove cabinets from them but as a thank you to the couple who gave me the timber I made these for him and his wife.

Attachments

• tempImagecb07xx.png
    tempImagecb07xx.png
    11.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi there, I am very interested in your journey into the ”world of Kumiko” as I describe it. I recently took the plunge into this world with the same You Tube channel. It’s rather fun, in a woodworking manner. I was interested in your comment about the mitre saw as this is something I have been tempted to purchase recently but didn’t know whether I was limiting my options be just purchasing the smaller saw - have you found your new saw particularly useful for all your Kumiko work or do you do most of your work by hand with a jig?

I have found the mitre saw has opened up possibilities that I would probably not have attempted any other way. Using the table I mentioned from the Miter Saw Jig for Kumiko video along with appropriate 'holding sticks' I felt that cutting small pieces was safe. A good example is the Kawari with star pattern. The central star comprises three pieces each a mere 17mm long that are assembled with a mitsu-kude joint.

1661419576463.png

Going forward I will use the mitre saw extensively but not exclusively and there will always be a place for the hand jigs.

Also, what grade paper do you use to back your work? I am in New Zealand and while there is plenty of options for paper oversea, there is very little choice in what is available here. I will purchase from overseas if required but need some idea of what grade and/or type to purchase…. Regards Robyn

I found this Shoji Gami paper on Ebay.uk. There are some more interesting papers i.e. more textured and a more 'hand-made' feel but the price goes up a lot. I'm perfectly happy with this grade

@throbscottle - you will soon have problems trying to level some wood when your castors run over some chips of routed wood. There's a reason that router levellers run on rails. Sorry to disappoint you :(
Damn!
Oh well, you know how the song goes:
Weeeeeee brush, brush, brush
We Brush, brush, brush
We brush, the whole day through....

Actually I could fit skirts, which would help. They're pretty awful castors anyway, bought for something else years ago and never used.

Pieces of bog roll tube maybe even.

But, damn!

Ok so not in the same class as most but my first go at a small log case. Apricot wood from a neighbour who had to dismember her tree 😞.

Attachments

• PXL_20220825_151859711~2.jpg
    PXL_20220825_151859711~2.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220825_151911723~2.jpg
    PXL_20220825_151911723~2.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220825_152032750~2.jpg
    PXL_20220825_152032750~2.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 0
@throbscottle - you will soon have problems trying to level some wood when your castors run over some chips of routed wood. There's a reason that router levellers run on rails. Sorry to disappoint you :(
Well, it turned out to be too high with the castors anyway, so I took them off, so the spacers the castors were on now act as sliders. The sliders just push the chips out of the way so it's become a non-issue. Photo is my first run with it - I'm pretty pleased as it's my fist time ever at home being able to make anything completely flat and level. Made Mrs laugh because I wouldn't shut up about it!
So, the board in the photo is now the first pair of drawer fronts for my electronics drawers!

Attachments

• jointing-trolley2.jpg
    jointing-trolley2.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
This is my first attempt at small box making and i wanted to integrate it with Kumiko decoration. These experimental boxes are elm with maple kumiko panels. The lining on the hexagonal box is also maple; the lining on the rectangular box is cedar.

The hexagonal box lid is 'open' i.e. no backing to the kumiko panel so it could be used for pot pourri (a throw back to the 1980's). The other has is a backing to keep out the dust.

View attachment 118058
Beautiful work
Stand proud

Alright,.......... I'll stick my head above the parapet. Why has it got an extra set of legs?
Pantomime goose perhaps?

Many moons ago in 2016, I bought a pile of sleepers for making raised beds. I built one and the wife and I were bored after one season. Since then the sleepers have hung around the yard doing not much apart from acting as rather rough benches. SHMBO has asked for some shelves for one of the boys and I was away researching oak for them. With prices sky high and nothing local I remember the sleeper and wondered if the would be dry by now and if I could slice them up.

I tried with and offcut and found I could be on to a winner. I’ve got 20cuft of the things sitting around to if I can get 50% into usable wood I’ll be laughing.

So I cleared a space in the garden and stacked them under the corrugated iron I took off the outhouse earlier in the year. Just trying to keep them dry from the good summer weather as the autumn arrives.

It’ll be an interesting job cutting them up as the are very heavy but I’ll figure that out later.

Test piece
A0F2874E-56AE-4534-95CA-B99CB4283110.jpeg

The stack
4F890A73-ECD8-47E5-B80C-CAA1995B8434.jpeg

2F951DC0-691B-46B7-9D21-74A06B61BAAD.jpeg

Excuse the dead tree on top but ran out of time tidying up, it’ll be cut up for the log burner tomorrow.

Fitz.

Back