Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still messing with Kumiko work. I've been inspired by Taeho's Kumiko Club playlist on YouTube and decided to have a go at a smaller scale panel incorporating several new patterns I hadn't attempted before as well as though I've used in the past. My guilty admission is that I used the project as an excuse to get the smaller Festool Kapex mitre saw as used in the later videos from the playlist above.

View attachment 142186

It's not perfect but it was a 'proof of concept' project for home consumption from which I have a bank of template components to use going forward.
Thats beautiful. Once i get my workspace back up and running Kumiko is something i want to concentrate on

Still messing with Kumiko work. I've been inspired by Taeho's Kumiko Club playlist on YouTube and decided to have a go at a smaller scale panel incorporating several new patterns I hadn't attempted before as well as though I've used in the past. My guilty admission is that I used the project as an excuse to get the smaller Festool Kapex mitre saw as used in the later videos from the playlist above.

View attachment 142186

It's not perfect but it was a 'proof of concept' project for home consumption from which I have a bank of template components to use going forward.
May I ask what you use the Kapex for - cutting components, or do you use it for cutting the slots in the frame pieces ?

Thats beautiful. Once i get my workspace back up and running Kumiko is something i want to concentrate on
Thank you. I'd recommend kumiko work. I find it strangely calming (most of the time).
May I ask what you use the Kapex for - cutting components, or do you use it for cutting the slots in the frame pieces ?
I made a table to attach to the Kapex saw along the lines of the one at the beginning of Taeho's Kumiko Club Part 7 (he shows how he made it in this video). I'd say I used it mostly for cutting the half-lap and 3 way joints as well as cutting the 'blanks'. Most of the shaping of the ends of the components was done with a chisel and Kumiko blocks or on the disc sander.

I also made his router jig for use with 120⁰, 60⁰, 45⁰ and 30⁰ v-cut router bits. He uses this in Taeho's Kumiko Club Part 10. Both these jigs made it much easier to tackle the advance patterns

Thank you. I'd recommend kumiko work. I find it strangely calming (most of the time).

I made a table to attach to the Kapex saw along the lines of the one at the beginning of Taeho's Kumiko Club Part 7 (he shows how he made it in this video). I'd say I used it mostly for cutting the half-lap and 3 way joints as well as cutting the 'blanks'. Most of the shaping of the ends of the components was done with a chisel and Kumiko blocks or on the disc sander.

I also made his router jig for use with 120⁰, 60⁰, 45⁰ and 30⁰ v-cut router bits. He uses this in Taeho's Kumiko Club Part 10. Both these jigs made it much easier to tackle the advance patterns
Many thanks for the advice. Lovely work by the way. I had toyed with using a mitre saw for the joints but wasn't sure if I could do it accurately. I haven't got a Kapex and my mitre saw is a bit of a beast but I'll give it a go. All the kumiko I've made so far has been hand sawn small items and I bet it gets a bit long winded on a larger piece like yours. I've been out of the workshop for over six months now so I need a bit of calming therapy.

That's impressive. How long did it take to make do you reckon?
It's very hard to judge as I've been on and off the project with other jobs and holiday interruptions. Also, this time around I spent a lot of time on making jigs (and redoing my router table top so I had something approaching a flat table). I'd like to think that I old replicate that in two weeks now that I have the jigs and templates in place.

Wouldn't say I made it, but I did make it safe. My MIL yesterday had my BIL round and I notice a desk chopped in half. BIL then asks me to give a hand to pop it in 'that corner'. You know, the one that's next to the concrete flight of steep stairs and there's barely any room to stand. Proper dangerous and this desk we put down has an unstable ledge.

Not the BILs fault as we both know how stubborn she is (first/second generation afghan/pathan and now in her 70s). So today I told the wife we need to go and make it safe before there's an 'incident'. When we get there, naturally she's already trying to reshape this monstrosity and add yet more health/safety hazards with the BILs saw that she obviously asked him to leave.

About 2 hours later, an extra pair of legs and stablising pieces beside them. A little turn thingy to stop it from banging against my shin every time I forgot I was holding the door together. Plus, the main feature - a little pull handle from the (I think) pine that I'd used to add the legs.

20220823_151922.jpg

Ain't she gorgeous...

A bit of outdoor tidying
Wheelie bins are a bit of an eye sore and if you live in an area like me where you have a ton of them they look unsightly so set my self a task of only using a bit of
Construction timber and pallet wood/scraps and a budget of £180 including hardware I came up with this

98904CBF-7102-4B82-BDCC-59C452257DB5.jpeg

3C5BA994-793A-400F-9F1E-87BFB1E2F13D.jpeg

BDA6175F-CF7A-4783-872E-F36C92486ACD.jpeg

51E8B7C4-2CDC-4A33-A194-0AF662F8C662.jpeg

E751CDDA-C479-4409-97FF-B3681A8EEC3F.jpeg

And then it had a baby :)

D4F7DCF9-A9FF-4CBE-8319-02DF3977C5DA.jpeg

E97EF9B4-F7F8-4AFE-82CA-A56D9B56D0C2.jpeg

Attachments

• DF1F0D1C-E7EA-4A67-B1D3-1E42CDF0B6D7.jpeg
    DF1F0D1C-E7EA-4A67-B1D3-1E42CDF0B6D7.jpeg
    688.6 KB · Views: 0

swisstony

Great idea, looks good
What did you treat the timber with ?
John
Nothing fancy just a few coats of danish oil natural as I liked the way it brought out the colour on the wood . Plus it’s pretty low maintenance compared to a varnish which would only break down pretty quickly on the horizontal surfaces.

The biggest win ( apart from brownie points from my wife ) was the saving. If you buy these expect to pay up to £1000
Ha ha

A cutter guard for my P/T.

I had no joy sourcing an original one which would have attached to the infeed table, so I cobbled this one together from scrap metal I found at my brother’s workshop (agricultural engineers). The actual guard piece is a bit of reclaimed sapele door stile.

Needs a lick of paint but it’s basically finished.

Attachments

• 4FDB2F18-8964-47B6-99A5-364F48C1AFB5.jpeg
    4FDB2F18-8964-47B6-99A5-364F48C1AFB5.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • D4B7B1EF-8EF2-4BD1-BAFD-6112CF25AED9.jpeg
    D4B7B1EF-8EF2-4BD1-BAFD-6112CF25AED9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Bit of an experiment, using using oak, mahogany and tulip wood, offcuts from chopping board I made.
Started turning without plan, just thought maybe a Square platter or bowl, however ended up with neither but both 🤣🤣
About 12" across corners and 2 5/8" high, with a spray lacquer finish, about 6 coats then Yorkshire Grit to finish.View attachment 141778View attachment 141779View attachment 141780View attachment 141781View attachment 141782
So you can fill the bowl with your soup and balance the bread on the platter! I jest - it's too gorgeous to put soup in!

I saw some ideas online for jigs to enable using a router as a jointer. Since my nice old board to make drawer fronts with has decided to twist, I thought I'd have a go at making one. Instead of trying to make level guide rails I used castors so it can be rolled about on my temporary bench which is made out of kitchen worktop, so at least it's level.

Trouble is my only flat router bit is tiny. Haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• jointing-trolley.jpg
    jointing-trolley.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Pulleyt
Hi there, I am very interested in your journey into the ”world of Kumiko” as I describe it. I recently took the plunge into this world with the same You Tube channel. It’s rather fun, in a woodworking manner. I was interested in your comment about the mitre saw as this is something I have been tempted to purchase recently but didn’t know whether I was limiting my options be just purchasing the smaller saw - have you found your new saw particularly useful for all your Kumiko work or do you do most of your work by hand with a jig? Also, what grade paper do you use to back your work? I am in New Zealand and while there is plenty of options for paper oversea, there is very little choice in what is available here. I will purchase from overseas if required but need some idea of what grade and/or type to purchase…. Regards Robyn

Back