Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So nice.

How are you going to attach screwdrivers and chisels to the cleats???

Cheers James
20201113_132148.jpg
This is how I did my screwdrivers, and will do something similar for my chisels...

My eldest sons Xbox seems to have migrated into the "posh" room and was all looking a bit messy so I have made a cabinet to tidy things up,

Birch ply, built with track saw and dominos. A bit of Van Dyck stain so it doesn't look too new and a couple of coats of varnish. No Sketch up or drawings involved, just made it up as I went along.

This is before (note the temporary MDF shelves, some of my finest work, you should see the sag in them!)

gaming 1.jpg

Things now looking a bit tidier 🙂

gaming 2.jpg

And the magic bit, you slide out the right hand side unit and lift up the top 😮, the main reason I wanted to make it was to get rid of the geriatric overbed table he was using for his keyboard and mouse.

gaming 3.jpg

There are a few bits I would do differently if I was making it again but that is often the case when you make things without much planning, least it's done for Christmas 👍

Hey I loved elite!!

My brother played it more seriously and ended up in IT on major infrastructure with Hitachi whilst I need up doing low level social work!! Lol.

Cheers James

Here's my latest finished project: top cupboard for the original landing cupboard. I plan to post a WIP in due course, with all the pics I took along the way.
Designed to match the existing style and blend in. Colour is my own custom creation.

Attachments

• 20201217_175537.jpg
    20201217_175537.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201217_144941.jpg
    20201217_144941.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201215_135930.jpg
    20201215_135930.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 52
I made this yesterday afternoon, I'll finish it today very pleased with the outcome, mines the one o the right lol

Attachments

• 20201217_183830.jpg
    20201217_183830.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 40
Last of the Christmas presents finished (well except I will be putting a 'tin' roof on this before it goes outside). This is a Mason Bee hotel for my wife. Apart from the slots in the drawers, which were cut on my milling machine, everything was done with hand tools including dimensioning the timber. It has been physically very demanding 😅. The block in the top is 140mm x 70mm x 170mm and the holes are 160mm deep, drilled with a brace and bit. That took me five hours!!!! My arms are now useless. I'm very pleased with the final result. A few obvious mistakes and flaws but heck it's going to hang on a wall in the garden.
IMG_1798.jpeg
IMG_1799.jpeg

The two drawers have clear tubes so that you can see the bee larvae. The top block has paper tubes lining the holes so they can be replaced each year to prevent pests. The roof space is for bits of reed, grass and other hollow vegetation to offer a home for some of the other solitary bee types that favour different sized holes. The roof overhang is 2 inches (50mm) to keep the tube openings dry.
When winter sets in the drawers are taken out and put in a cardboard box in an un-heated shed. Once the bees break out of the tubes they find their way out of the box and are on their way. Then the tubes get replaced or cleaned and the drawers go back into the hotel for another season.
I have to say I'm quite looking forward to seeing if we get any tenants.

Last of the Christmas presents finished (well except I will be putting a 'tin' roof on this before it goes outside). This is a Mason Bee hotel for my wife. Apart from the slots in the drawers, which were cut on my milling machine, everything was done with hand tools including dimensioning the timber. It has been physically very demanding 😅. The block in the top is 140mm x 70mm x 170mm and the holes are 160mm deep, drilled with a brace and bit. That took me five hours!!!! My arms are now useless. I'm very pleased with the final result. A few obvious mistakes and flaws but heck it's going to hang on a wall in the garden.
View attachment 98640View attachment 98641
The two drawers have clear tubes so that you can see the bee larvae. The top block has paper tubes lining the holes so they can be replaced each year to prevent pests. The roof space is for bits of reed, grass and other hollow vegetation to offer a home for some of the other solitary bee types that favour different sized holes. The roof overhang is 2 inches (50mm) to keep the tube openings dry.
When winter sets in the drawers are taken out and put in a cardboard box in an un-heated shed. Once the bees break out of the tubes they find their way out of the box and are on their way. Then the tubes get replaced or cleaned and the drawers go back into the hotel for another season.

Wow. That's beautiful.

Hi Paul I really like that, looks simple until you examine it a bit closer, a lot of work in that. Instead of spoiling it with a bit of tin, the last thing I made even remotely like it for outside, I used proper grey slates stuck on with black building adhesive (Think black, no nails or pink stuff) . It worked really well, and you could have the slates just overhanging slightly. Ian

Hi Paul I really like that, looks simple until you examine it a bit closer, a lot of work in that. Instead of spoiling it with a bit of tin, the last thing I made even remotely like it for outside, I used proper grey slates stuck on with black building adhesive (Think black, no nails or pink stuff) . It worked really well, and you could have the slates just overhanging slightly. Ian
That’s a great suggestion!

Really lovely! A few questions if I may...

What wood is the upper section made from?
Are you using test tubes or similar in the lower section?
Where did you source the cardboard liners for the upper section?

I've been a beekeeper for 30+ years and our gardens are highly bee friendly and added-chemical free. We have a large number of types of bumble bee, including mason bees - they are a joy to watch.

I wish you luck in attracting them!

One of my honey bee (ApIs melifera melifera) queens this summer:

FB_IMG_1608365348308.jpg

Last edited:
Really lovely! A few questions if I may...

What wood is the upper section made from?
Are you using test tubes or similar in the lower section?
Where did you source the cardboard liners for the upper section?

I've been a beekeeper for 30+ years and our gardens are highly bee friendly and added-chemical free. We have a large number of types of bumble bee, include Ng mason bees - they are a joy to watch.

I wish you luck in attracting them!

One of my honey bee (ApIs melifera melifera) queens this summer:

View attachment 98739

It’s all oak. We had a coffee table that was basically two slabs of oak on legs. The bee hotel is made from one of those slabs. It was a lot of sawing...

Both the clear tubes and the paper tubes came from Amazon. I just did a search for mason bee tubes an dozens of different ones were available. I just selected the ones with a good diameter for mason bees, 8 to 10mm. The clear tubes are washable and the paper tubes disposable. I bought a box of 200 paper tubes as they were cheap. I now realise we have a 10 year supply... I read quite a bit before starting to get the best practice. The paper tubes are highly recommended to prevent parasites.

Bee keeping might be on the cards for the future for us but the mason bees will an enjoyable experience. We have a lot of different bees in our garden as it is very much designed to be wildlife friendly it just remains to be seen if any bees take up residence.

Back