Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rough looking timber bottom right is the seat from an elm Windsor chair that came in for some restoration but was so badly infested with woodworm that the rest got burnt.

05A2119D-9BD4-4883-87A9-D6874D5A4408.jpeg

I decided to recycle the Elm into a pen presentation box, seemed a shame not to put it to good use

8B0B9E2E-0E24-42A1-A935-BED734CAB0A3.jpeg

there are no hinges you just press on the back of the lid & the front opens

15CA1A11-7143-4C6F-8F0B-C24BB35ADCA7.jpeg

the rebate at the back is deeper than the front & sides so when opened it stands just over upright leaning back.

0C02275E-9422-42AC-AC4E-38FD63C21999.jpeg

Boxes and step ladders, can't go wrong with either. I do like those ladders, its not something you see getting made in such a forum, so nice to see someone making a pair.

I'm making a mantelpiece, though this is just its current stage and long from finished. I've still to do the turned columns for the front, and a moulded surround, and maybe some inset panels should I work out the copper foil pressing pictures.
Eventually it will have dentil under the top, and panel raise cutter on the underside to thin the top down and not look so chunky.
Fast running out of Maple though. Started with 3 boards @9'x8"x1" and the turned columns are from the thick section next to it, 2 of those glued together, and tuned hopefully matching.
Was considering doing the columns in bubinga along with a surround and inlays or insets, but we'll see if i've got enough maple to finish it.

Attachments

• DSCF3964.JPG
    DSCF3964.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 40
1607680594606.png

This flexible elephant was an experiment inspired by previous comments here. A cyclist recommended saving old inner tubes and using the rubber and a reply in a turning thread which suggested super glue to mend cracks.
I made slots in the body sections with a dovetail saw, ran the glue into the slot and was able to slide in a strip of tube and clamp it to pinch the slot. I am amazed how strong the bond is. Its a bit fiddly but with practice should become easier.
The wood is Turkey Oak from a tree in our garden and the wheels old tent pole. The ears are felt from an old Loan Rangers hat!!

Some photos from my customer. Console table to the customer’s design with oak base and olivewood top. 1200x370mm top. Wedged mortice and tenon with olivewood wedges.

Attachments

• 8BAB68A4-B82D-4A4C-B8F0-643F36FD97F2.jpeg
    8BAB68A4-B82D-4A4C-B8F0-643F36FD97F2.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 82332D5C-2B2A-4576-8497-A9B5288ECF46.jpeg
    82332D5C-2B2A-4576-8497-A9B5288ECF46.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 60
  • D815304F-DF08-4917-9806-093EA4CA92AA.jpeg
    D815304F-DF08-4917-9806-093EA4CA92AA.jpeg
    42.6 KB · Views: 60
I made some custom/bespoke doors from some old 1930s pitch pine, the panels are redwood pine, first time using the 'wearing' method of hinging, and it's not perfect, I think I cut the recess slightly too deep and they are binding slightly where the frame meets the stiles, they aren't quite finished yet but you get the idea, it hides a very ugly and untidy area under the floor which is nice and will also make the garage a lot warmer in the winter months, I will likely just finish it with tung oil once it's all finished and handles are added and the hinges polished up, but for now I'll live with it like this for a while.

Attachments

• hatch_doors_complete-5.jpg
    hatch_doors_complete-5.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 59
IMG_20201212_162609.jpg

Taking the opportunity while she's out to get the table top finished. Just need to get the legs sorted before Xmas day. Top is reclaimed oak floorboards set on ply. Edging it today and planing. Hopefully give it a sand and then think about how to finish. Any suggestions?

Made an obelisk from a bit of old chapel beam this summer. Was full of nails and good for nothing except firewood, other side all mortice holes for floor joists

obelisk5 copy.JPG

Then painted it white and put a hat on it

obelisk6 copy.JPG

View attachment 98221

Taking the opportunity while she's out to get the table top finished. Just need to get the legs sorted before Xmas day. Top is reclaimed oak floorboards set on ply. Edging it today and planing. Hopefully give it a sand and then think about how to finish. Any suggestions?

Something hard wearing for a table top. How about a hard wax oil, like fiddes?

Fitz.

[
View attachment 98221

Really nice job - hard wax oil is a good call - OSMO PolyX worth looking at too

Last edited:
View attachment 98221

how thick are the floorboards and how are they fixed to the ply? Potential movement would worry me here. I do like the top though, it will look lovely with a finish on it.

So I mentioned my wife and daughter choosing their own timber, for Christmas gifts and posted my daughters soon to be new Teak Solitaire board. Well the wife wanted a new box for her hairdryer! So African rosewood was her timber but i didn’t have enough so paired it with some walnut, and a pig suede interior thanks @custard for the sticky!

DD2F1A86-6B99-454A-8553-59429368778B.jpeg
2611BA74-A6D9-464D-9A85-39DEE0ED9DB7.jpeg

Just gotta wait for Christmas and approval now!

Padster

Back