Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Raymond. It's been a good challenge and I've really enjoyed building it.

I've never used those panels before but I might give them a go.

Finished a box today that I made from a Tulip tree that came down in our neighbours garden.
IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG

The tree had been planted by our neighbours mother and she was a bit upset about it being felled by a storm. My better half suggested I make her a box so she can always have a little piece of it around. A lovely thought for a lovely lady. I thoroughly enjoyed making it too.

Details are Black Walnut. Finished with Danish Oil and Beeswax. Lined with plum velvet.

Attachments

• IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 216
will1983":387rkwz5 said:
Cheers Raymond. It's been a good challenge and I've really enjoyed building it.

I've never used those panels before but I might give them a go.

Make sure you cover them with some polythene as they do warp quite easily being laminated. Laminated as in strips of pine glued together, not veneered.

It's only a problem for the lids as the side panels get straightened in the dovetail jig. Just a bit harder to get them together.

Renders your dining room useless though this time of year... :roll:

Raymond UK":4lve71l9 said:
Just finished this today. Just another toy box but with an added divider to separate toy I assume.

Very nice =D> =D>

Paul200":4lve71l9 said:
Finished a box today that I made from a Tulip tree that came down in our neighbours garden.

I like that, all the more so as it came from a nearby tree. I'm not so keen on the knot, but again as it came from a single local tree I guess it's part of the character =D>

Paul200":1c6okn2d said:

The tree had been planted by our neighbours mother and she was a bit upset about it being felled by a storm. My better half suggested I make her a box so she can always have a little piece of it around. A lovely thought for a lovely lady. I thoroughly enjoyed making it too.

Details are Black Walnut. Finished with Danish Oil and Beeswax. Lined with plum velvet.

Very nice, I presume you milled the timber yourself then, how long did it take to season to a point where it was usable?

Thanks for the tip with the polythene Raymond. :D

Here's a simple pine cabinet made for friends who wanted to house their collection of LP's, tape cassettes (remember them?) and CD's and to support their new multi-media music centre.
2018-11-20 15.13.52.jpg
2018-11-20 15.12.56.jpg
2018-11-20 15.30.29.jpg
Made from pine obtained from my local wood yard, surprisingly knot free. Stained with Liberon Antique Pine - water based, and finished Fiddes wax. The LP rack and drawers are all simply removable should they not be required in the future.
Brian

Attachments

• 2018-11-20 15.13.52.jpg
    2018-11-20 15.13.52.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2018-11-20 15.12.56.jpg
    2018-11-20 15.12.56.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 2018-11-20 15.30.29.jpg
    2018-11-20 15.30.29.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 128
Sorry - I missed these.

DTR":1ciijrtf said:
Paul200":1ciijrtf said:

I like that, all the more so as it came from a nearby tree. I'm not so keen on the knot, but again as it came from a single local tree I guess it's part of the character =D>

It's a bonus that we live in a heavily wooded area - and especially that this was just next door. I like to incorporate knots and live edges in my boxes because, as you say, they add character. But I was particularly keen to add character to this one because I'm not a big fan of Tulip wood! It always looks a bit 'grubby' to me but given the circumstances I had to use it. :roll:

will1983":1ciijrtf said:
Very nice, I presume you milled the timber yourself then, how long did it take to season to a point where it was usable?

The tree had to be dealt with urgently when it came down because it was blocking our lane. What was left was little more than firewood but I salvaged one larger piece and planked it very roughly with a chainsaw (I don't have a bandsaw) into approx. 25mm boards. This was then layered with separating sticks, clamped and put in a corner of my workshop for about 18 months. I flattened the boards with a router on a jig and, when tested with our firewood damp tester, they came out at about 12%. I've no idea what it should be dried down to but that was good enough for me.

It all worked very well but the lid did have a slight bow when I came to fit it - so I made breadboard ends from Walnut to straighten it out. I'm pleased with it but time (and the experts) will tell if it was dry enough :wink:

Cheers

Paul

We needed a post box to put on our garden gate so that Nigel the Postman doesn't have to open and shut the gate to deliver our bills! I had some locally felled Oak from our nearby sawmill to hand and I fancied something a bit Arty and Crafty - this is the result.
IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

It's currently soaking up as much Linseed Oil as I can give it and then we'll see how it stands up to our wet and windy weather :?

Cheers

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2507.JPG
    IMG_2507.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 418
Posted elsewhere on the forum, but I thought I'd give it a wider audience. This is the lock box I just made for my front door. The steel straps were cut out of an old wheelbarrow:

Pmbkab5.jpg

6WToFPB.jpg

Paul200":3als0a95 said:
We needed a post box to put on our garden gate so that Nigel the Postman doesn't have to open and shut the gate to deliver our bills! I had some locally felled Oak from our nearby sawmill to hand and I fancied something a bit Arty and Crafty - this is the result.

It's currently soaking up as much Linseed Oil as I can give it and then we'll see how it stands up to our wet and windy weather :?

Cheers

Paul

Very nice Paul. I like that a lot!

MikeG. said:
Posted elsewhere on the forum, but I thought I'd give it a wider audience. This is the lock box I just made for my front door. The steel straps were cut out of an old wheelbarrow:

Nice! Is that a round top door. Any pictures from the outside Mike?

MikeG.":3tmc39u9 said:

Pmbkab5.jpg

6WToFPB.jpg

Loving that! Always worried about old rim locks being very insecure. That's certainly not!

Yojevol":fiqmrwk4 said:
Here's a simple pine cabinet made for friends who wanted to house their collection of LP's, tape cassettes (remember them?) and CD's and to support their new multi-media music centre.View attachment 2018View attachment 2018View attachment 2018Made from pine obtained from my local wood yard, surprisingly knot free. Stained with Liberon Antique Pine - water based, and finished Fiddes wax. The LP rack and drawers are all simply removable should they not be required in the future.
Brian

very nice work, are the dividers inside dadoed in? I'm curious to know what methods you used, regards, Ben.

thetyreman":30w68lkw said:
Yojevol":30w68lkw said:
Here's a simple pine cabinet made for friends who wanted to house their collection of LP's, tape cassettes (remember them?) and CD's and to support their new multi-media music centre.View attachment 2018View attachment 2018View attachment 2018Made from pine obtained from my local wood yard, surprisingly knot free. Stained with Liberon Antique Pine - water based, and finished Fiddes wax. The LP rack and drawers are all simply removable should they not be required in the future.
Brian

very nice work, are the dividers inside dadoed in? I'm curious to know what methods you used, regards, Ben.
I just ran the housing top & bottom over the rip saw blade which was set to give my required depth of groove. The correct width, to match the hardboard dividers, was obtained with a second cut having moved the fence by a millimeter.

For some reason, there's often lots of bits of wood hanging about around my house. A couple of days ago I noticed my 12-year-old had idly arranged a few while eating breakfast, not really thinking about what she was doing. So I quickly glued them up as she'd arranged them.
_MG_8078.jpg

Not exactly the most striking piece of woodwork ever to appear on the forum, but I quite like it. The Surrealists were really interested in doodles, I think this a wooden doodle in the manner of the Russian Constructivists. :)

Attachments

• _MG_8078.jpg
    _MG_8078.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 284
Shhh....

Quiet!

Don't let it see you looking or it will do a runner...

cQLBpLd.jpg

4IapuGu.jpg

Getting there. 3 year odd bench build. Just checked the dates I joined ukw lol. That's a bit mad. :oops:
Lot of water under the bridge since I cut the first bit of wood for this. So much so I re-cut a lot of the joints before this assembly. Some of them were a bit wobbly being my first ever m+t's :roll: We are learning. Slowly.

Get on with it Chris.
Sheeesh!

Latest posts

Back