Machinery Gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not one for gloating, so when an occasion comes along, I feel I ought to share.

I've hardly ever got a bargain at a boot-sale or ebay, or through friends etc.. I've never had a kindly benefactor lavish me with a workshop of tools or machinery, so I was completely surprised when I got a call from my Dad's wife explaining that their neighbor had an old 'planer and drill press with some bits' that I could take of his hands for nowt (the planer that is.) He wanted the pricely sum of £30 for the drill press and bits.

Do I want them she asked? Yes I said - not knowing what these machines were, the 'planer' she said was a 'Dodd' - never heard of one of them, but thought it would be worth having a look at.

Anyways, this is what I picked up today:

Dodd 6" Jointer with thickneser attachment (not shown)
1031215968_e8f91e6cc2_o.jpg

It has adjustable infeed and outfeed tables, and a chip chute as extraction.
1031215990_fbf51dc0f9_o.jpg

This however was the best bit for me: A big ol' drill press! And even better; a mortice attachment with 4 chisels! (couldn't believe my luck considering the shenanigans i've had with the fox).

The drill is virtually all cast iron, rack and pinion adjustment of the table, 16 speeds, large chuck and over 3" of travel. It weighs a ton! (about 50Kg)

1031216010_8e790dc5c0_o.jpg

The mortice attachment is brand new, never been used. There are four chisels with auger bits, and the best thing is the chisels don't move about in the bushing!!

1031216030_6f254a9bc3_o.jpg

There's only one downside, no chuck EDIT: 'key' was supplied, and I don't have one to fit, it's a big chuck! Anyone know where I can get one?

The jointer will be a renovation project - it's all in fully working order, just needs a good clean, sharpen and setup and it would be an excellent machine for a small workshop, especially with the thicknesser attachment (It attaches to the pole you see sprouting from the middle of the fence).

You lucky sod! Do you think the mortice attachment will do you? I've never used a drill press attachment, but I suppose it is essentially the same thing as a dedicated morticer.

Planer looks nice.

Byron,

I assume you are missing the key for the chuck, as like Bob I can see one on the machine?

Can you see any markings on the chuck?

Byron,

If in your excitement have new toys, you did omit the need or a chuck KEY
then try here http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Drill_Chucks_136.html

On this site the keys are characterised by the spigot diameter and the number of teeth, at worst this should get it down to a choice between perhaps two.
Knowing the make of the chuck would possibly help if it is a known brand but knowing that most Nutool stuff is out of Chaiwan, the chuck is possible an unknown.

Chronos themselves import from the far east so might recognise the machine from its description. They are pretty helpful guys IME

hth

Bob

Nice one, I could do with a bench drill but funds have disappeared :cry: maybe i'll get lucky :D . The last thing I had given me was a brad gun and that is a bag of nails :lol:

Martin

Hi Chaps.

Aye, I did mean chuck 'key' - a typo by me. Thanks for the link bob, ill give them a call and see what they can do.

Simon - I don't know whether the mortice attachment will do as i've never used one in a drill press before, and i've not read favourable reviews, but i'll have to test it out when I sort out a chuck key.

The jointer is a nice little thing. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when its all cleaned up.

Just avoid the templation to use the thicknessing attachment - they wert banned in the 1970s because they are hardly the safest of devices (no anti-kickback, poor guarding, etc)

Scrit

Nice one BB. For a man who's supposedly shunned machinery in favour of hand tools you suddenly have quite a glut. :lol:
I have a virtually identical DP which I've just changed the chuck on for a keyless one. I'm certain I've still got the key for the old chuck - you're welcome to it. Only trouble is you'll have to wait until the w/end as I'm not back from sunny Majorca till Friday.
If you're still stuck when I get back I'll stick it in a jiffybag if you pm me with your address.

Mark

ByronBlack":2fm96y6u said:
i've never used one in a drill press before, and i've not read favourable reviews, but i'll have to test it out when I sort out a chuck key.

BB Looks like you've 'bagged' a couple of good 'uns there :) I am not an expert but what I've read on drill press morticers is that the drill has to be substantial and the attachment solid and big.

From the photos you seem to OK on both counts so I hope it does what you want it too.

Like the little jointer, I bet it's a solid little so and so. Why have you got it in your kitchen though?
only kidding!!

cheers,
jon.

I started out many years ago with a pillar drill morticer, and the biggest downfall with them was the lack of leverage on a drill press compared to a dedicated morticing machine,never tried it in hardwood.

Bryon, by the look at the morticing attachment picture, not all the pieces are there, or are they out of view?

Bryon, heres a quote from a very old thread that I posted on how I use to set it up quickly.

When setting up I use templates, if I want the mortice 1/2!" from the edge
I just put a 1/2" thick x12" template against the chisel and move the fence up against it, simple. That means the chisel doesnt have to be parallel as long as the fence is parallel with the chisel.
I dont use the side hold downs as they mark the wood and there is no need any way.
The speed of the drill is very important.

Start asking, what rpm do their dedicated morticer run? and set your drill press to the nearest average.

Hey even Norm started out with the attachment.

Cheers.

Paul - for me to work twice as fast won't require that much effort, I'm positively snail paced!

My fox morticer - with sloppy bush has now been sold, so effectively I have no morticer - but a drill press will do the job - and brace & bit of course.

The new/old jointer is a seller so despite my current induction of machinery i'll soon be left with just the basics and my 'shop will be back to the harmonious hand-tool specific zone that it once was :)

SP - thanks for the tips on setting up, sounds like a good way to go to me. I can match the speed of the fox (now sold) morticer almost to the exact RPM with this drill press - about 3k, so it might just do a job.

Mike - thanks for the offer of the chuck-key, I might take you up on that. I'll be giving chronos a call tomorrow to see if they can get one out to me first, but failing that your offer is most kind.

ByronBlack":3fwmb3cy said:
I can match the speed of the Fox (now sold) morticer almost to the exact RPM with this drill press - about 3k, so it might just do a job.
There is a school of thought which says that many morticers run too quickly and that on hardwoods 3,000 rpm will potentially cause burning. In the USA Delta make a morticer which runs at 1,800 rpm (half of their "standard" speed of 3,600 rpm) and that has an excellent reputation for making clean cuts in hardwood with minimal scorching. Just a thought

Scrit

Hello,
I have the Jet 701 bench top model which runs at the lower speed and the quality of mortice it produces is brilliant. Mind you, the clico chisels I use might be playing a big part in it!

cheers,
jon.

Latest posts

Back