concrete/cement hardener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I had to keep the dust down in my newly built shed/workshop so bought some floor paint. The instructions were to seal the floor before before use, and as the paint isn't particularly cheap I thought it was probably wise. As the instructions specifically say not to use PVA I looked for an alternative and found this. I'd not used or seen it before, but it's brilliant. I looked at the floor the morning after I'd used and thought it was still wet - it wasn't, the surface is hard and shiny. It doesn't half make the painting easier. The floor is only about 11' x 7' and I used only about a third of the can, if that. It works only on bare concrete/cement and nothing else.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00133KZXU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I thought you had to sand or shot blast the surface of concrete before painting to remove the loose surface stuff.

The sealer is based on sodium silicate solution, which is known as waterglass. It was used to preserve eggs and is also used in foundry work in conjunction with CO2 gas to make mould cores.

Building sites use it as a curing spray for fresh laid concrete as it hardens and dustproofs the upper layer (works better on green concrete, but still works well on old concrete).

The sealer is based on sodium silicate solution, which is known as waterglass. It was used to preserve eggs and is also used in foundry work in conjunction with CO2 gas to make mould cores.

Building sites use it as a curing spray for fresh laid concrete as it hardens and dustproofs the upper layer (works better on green concrete, but still works well on old concrete).
Wiki -
The similar-sounding names has resulted in confusion between isinglass and waterglass, especially as both have been used to preserve eggs. A solution of isinglass was applied to eggs and allowed to dry, sealing their pores. Waterglass is sodium silicate. Eggs were submerged in solutions of waterglass, and a gel of silicic acid formed, also sealing the pores of the eggshell.
I had to look up the difference between isinglass and waterglass. When I was very young eggs were still preserved - old breeds of hens kept naturally went off lay in the winter. We rarely ate eggs in the winter.

There is a friable layer on top of concrete that needs removing to allow the paint to adhere properly. If it’s not, as I understand it, it’s the reason painted garage floors don’t last very long.

Chemical Building Product (CBP) marketed a concrete hardener called "Lithurin" based on Cow pee, never saw a dusty concrete floor in a cow shed.

Wiki -
The similar-sounding names has resulted in confusion between isinglass and waterglass, especially as both have been used to preserve eggs. A solution of isinglass was applied to eggs and allowed to dry, sealing their pores. Waterglass is sodium silicate. Eggs were submerged in solutions of waterglass, and a gel of silicic acid formed, also sealing the pores of the eggshell.
I had to look up the difference between isinglass and waterglass. When I was very young eggs were still preserved - old breeds of hens kept naturally went off lay in the winter. We rarely ate eggs in the winter.
We must be from the same era.
I well remember my granny preserving eggs in waterglass, in large black 'crocs' (black, glazed terracotta pots). My grandparents kept free range hens and these preserved eggs were generally used for baking.

Back