Gunstock door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No after getting the magnifying glass out your right the glass is on the inside. Completely baffling tbh.
Perhaps a Villa in this sense refers to a holiday home that had a removable (boarded) shutter on the inside while the property was empty?
Cheers, Andy

No because the villa residence is the drawing of the door with the 2 dismissed stile sidelights. I don't think it's addresses what purpose this door fulfils or what type of house it's on tbh. A villa around this era had a very specific meaning.(middle class, fancy joinery, ornate plaster, nice staircase, half timber effect( all this amounts to huge repair/maintenance/heating bills today) the term villa is also used for the rough1960s council street behind those in my town called "villa close". Don't know the origin though.

No because the villa residence is the drawing of the door with the 2 dismissed stile sidelights. I don't think it's addresses what purpose this door fulfils or what type of house it's on tbh. A villa around this era had a very specific meaning.(middle class, fancy joinery, ornate plaster, nice staircase, half timber effect( all this amounts to huge repair/maintenance/heating bills today) the term villa is also used for the rough1960s council street behind those in my town called "villa close". Don't know the origin though.
Hmmm, thought it odd I couldn't see the Villa text in that section LOL....
References to building types noted, ta.
Cheers, Andy

Is that the same book that I tried to make the casement window from which generated all the rod vs stick arguments?

Looks great btw

Ps you should have done it hand tools only

Last edited:
Shhhhh don't mention the r and s word! Same book yes. I've had to do the bottom panels by hand and that's annoyed me if I knew I would have put 3 panels 2 muntins it was 20mm to wide to fit!. No mention of 1/4 mortices on the sash bars. The picture illustrates the issue. Another thing not touched on is how effective the wedges can be in clamping this monster up lengthways. Put the outsides of the outside rails in first. Smash them in evenly until its tight. The put the insides in. Getting around the making of this thing and planing everything flat and even. Worse morticing through the stiles. It could take well weeks. Especially with the inevitable cock ups! I've got 20 oak wedges made to smash in. The glue these things use is amazing tbh.

Attachments

• 20231130_161131.jpg
    20231130_161131.jpg
    910.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 17014408540942255806257088777547.jpg
    17014408540942255806257088777547.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
How did you get on with the casement window btw?
Well it was all done in the end. It was only a test piece to learn how to do it. I’m going to do some real windows and a box sash but I want to make myself a new set of sash planes first. I’ll get back to windows in the spring.

I found that book really difficult to follow The rod really helped me work it out.

What I'll will say is the drawings are not very clear. The rod is on the diminished stile is really like deciphering hieroglyphs! But my method was quite ponderous tbh. The glazing bars were all done by hand as well. Took me three days altogether and I'll need a few hours for making the panels(also all hand work. Apart from the rebates. For these I will run the block over work so any waste can be planed of to leave everything flush.

It's years ago but I did what you might call a simplified version on some of the doors I made for my house.

Ignore the bad paint job and cracked panel 😕

gunstock tenon.jpg

That make wood good is quite interesting and can be lumped together with repaircare and timbabuild as similar products. They ( smiths) are promoting it slightly differently to the other 2(who seem in direct competition) they are saying the penetrating epoxy is the key, both as a primer and rot repair. The filler is given less push. Repaircare is stupid expensive at £55 for maybe 400ml. Timbabuild is £34 for 400ml and the cpes fill it is£43 for 355ml. The penetrating epoxies are cpes are £46/litre, timbabuild £17 300ml, repaircare £63 for 300ml.
It's obvious repair are is the most expensive on both timbabuild is cheapest. Cpes is in between but cheaper for the penetrating epoxy.

They aren't identical products repaircare seems more flexible than timbabuild. Maybe better for long life but much harder to sand( the fillers.)repaircare penetrating is so expensive many many Dec's just use the filler possibly defeating it's effectiveness. Anyway I'm gonna buy some cpes to try out.

Oh I also phoned a lady about a stained glass course at amerton farm near Stafford. Turns out she is running a course this coming Tuesday Wednesday. And nobody's booked yet. I immediately booked on thinking 1 to 1 tuition may be just the ticket. Its making a hanging panel.

Had to look at this thread just to find out what a gunstock door looked like. 🤔
It's not a gunstock door, it is an ordinary door with gunstock shoulders on the middle rail. Years ago, I made a joiner's shoulder square from a pattern seen in one of George Ellis's woodworking books. I decided to make it out of stainless steel and slightly different from George Ellis's in that is double-sided. Hopefuly, through the attached pictures, you will be able to fathom out how it works.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 0
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
What I'll will say is the drawings are not very clear. The rod is on the diminished stile is really like deciphering hieroglyphs! But my method was quite ponderous tbh. The glazing bars were all done by hand as well. Took me three days altogether and I'll need a few hours for making the panels(also all hand work. Apart from the rebates. For these I will run the block over work so any waste can be planed of to leave everything flush.
It needs to be bourne in mind that these types of books are only intended as an aide memoire, to supplement detailed practical instruction given by a master to their apprentice.

Using them as the sole source of instruction is bound to end in confusion and error.

The door looks amazing BTW.

Last edited:
Back