Losing weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do have a bicycle, but I've not ridden properly since I was a teenager. I was given this. It is a mountain bike and has huge tyres. I really need to swap them for something more sensible. The few times I have taken it out I have felt very vulnerable indeed.

Or play golf. A 5 mile walk unless you hit the ball very straight and a lot of arm, leg and shoulder exercise.. Twice a week helps keep me fit, still fat though #-o

Steve Maskery":3h4217ty said:
I do have a bicycle, but I've not ridden properly since I was a teenager. I was given this. It is a mountain bike and has huge tyres. I really need to swap them for something more sensible. The few times I have taken it out I have felt very vulnerable indeed.
Drive out to a trail http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map?gcli ... 0wodCoAHew

Cycling and swimming are really excellent exercises for the larger person looking to lose some weight. Your mass is supported by something else and cycling especially, burns a lot of calories. I used to be a cycle tourer in my younger years and would set off with pannier bags and tent/clothes for 2 or 3 weeks at a time. Cycled all over the country for hundreds of miles and that has given me a core fitness level that even today in my late 50's and carrying too many pounds, is standing me in good stead. It was when i semi retired at 55 and spent a few months of not doing much at all but catching up on all the books and films i had wanted to get through that my weight started to go up very rapidly and the problems started. My doctor was very blunt with me and said basically, you are very fat and need to lose weight. Most of your problems will go away if you do this and she was correct. I used to have Border Collies too and they keep you on your toes but losing the last one broke my heart as i loved that dog to bits. He was very clever and wouldn't let me sit down for a minute. Would bring the lead to me, drop it at my feet and just stare at me intently, then down at the lead, then back at me again. When i finally get over losing him, i'll think about getting another. I live by the coast, so beach walks with the dog in all weathers is highly recommended if you have room in your life for a furry friend. If so, try to give a rescue dog a home if possible. Something my Doctor told me to do was look up on the internet the effects that just sitting around has on the body. Use it or lose it is the upshot of what i read. I spent many years working hard and when i stopped and did nothing for a while, the effects were rapid and devastating. Diet and exercise go hand in hand and compliment each other. While you are busy doing something, you are not eating surplus food, so double the effects.

Steve Maskery":1dc5tor6 said:
Mike, that is all good, thank you.
I'm not diabetic, as far as I know, but the doc wants me to have a GTT, I'm not far off, I think.

Personally I'm not at all afraid of dying. I have no family of my own and I most certainly don't want the long slow miserable death that my dad had and my mum is having. No way. I'd rather jump, TBH. It's not that I have a death wish, I don't at the mo, but if the Grim Reaper comes after me tomorrow, I won't fight him off.

Trying to lose weight is not trying to extend my life, but for as long as I have to live it, I'd rather it was as good as it can be.

Sorry Steve, my cathartic ramble didn't really get to the point I'd intended, the diabetes is incidental really, just my trigger;
Re. your progress etc. you will hear that the first 10% is quick and easy to lose, that agrees with my experience. After the 10% is gone the progress is slower and testing.
I've also found that [look away kids] I have a rather capacious bowel. When binging on holiday I can easily put half a stone on in a week, but when I return to sensible portions I can loose it again just as easily and quickly. I think that if you're putting in at one end faster than your body would prefer to remove it you end up loading your bowel, giving you more weight to carry and your gut a longer opportunity to extract fats etc. that you don't need.
Maybe that's why so many people are full of it!

You are doing the right thing starting Steve and good luck with it. I have been struggling for 4 or 5 years to hit my target weight I keep losing 5 or 6 kilos over 3 months or so and then end up slowly gaining most of it back. I've never gone back to my peak weight but never achieved my goals. After doing some research it turns out that you really have to reach and maintain your target weight for about a year before you have a good chance of maintaining it. Apparently it takes this long for all your bodies hormones to readjust to the "new you" otherwise it really wants to get back to what it senses as normal and stops thinking you are trying to starve it (which you are!).

Best of luck!

Evolution has made us to want food pretty much all the time, and to eat it and store it (as fat) against times of low food supply.

Since those times don't come anymore for most of us, we have a problem, and we are fighting our own biology. It's certainly not easy.

The science of calories in versus calories out is simple; what is most certainly not simple is finding a diet (in the general sense) that is both reasonable to implement in the long term (so easy to remember, affordable, doesn't require radically different food from those around you), and you can tolerate in the long term.

Such a diet is likely to be a very personal. choice, reflecting your own unique circumstances.

BugBear

bugbear":2w6eow4a said:
Evolution has made us to want food pretty much all the time, and to eat it and store it (as fat) against times of low food supply.

Since those times don't come anymore for most of us, we have a problem, and we are fighting our own biology. It's certainly not easy.

The science of calories in versus calories out is simple; what is most certainly not simple is finding a diet (in the general sense) that is both reasonable to implement in the long term (so easy to remember, affordable, doesn't require radically different food from those around you), and you can tolerate in the long term.

Such a diet is likely to be a very personal. choice, reflecting your own unique circumstances.

BugBear

Agreed. (No - not 'a greed' - agreed!)

I think there are several other factors, too.

The first is central heating; we use less energy just staying warm than our ancestors did at some times of the year.

Another is the rise of the 'food industry', producing lots of goodies stuffed with the things our bodies crave because they're rare in nature, like sugar. (They're also stuffed with artificial fats and E-numbers, giving rise to other problems.)

The next is the mixed messages from the likes of the FSA and other health nannies about what we should and shouldn't eat, and how often. It's now all so confusing (is chocolate OK in moderation or not?), and confused ('don't eat burnt toast' being the latest scare - despite there being no scientific evidence that it's damaging to humans, apparently), so most of us are not sure when they're giving good, supportable advice, or just scare-mongering. It also seems that their response is sometimes a bit dictatorial (tax sugary drinks) rather than informative (sugary drinks are best avoided, or at worst consumed in moderation).

I do wish the health authorities would just stick to a fairly simple, clear message about what constitutes a good, wholesome, balanced diet, and the consequences of departing from it, then leave us to make our own minds up about how we choose to live our lives.

Thank you to those of you who have contributed so constructively.

I had a bit of a disappointing glitch over the weekend, but back on track this morning. I've lost 8lb in 14 days, 11 of them on this diet.

Just had ribs with swede oven chips (a bit overdone, if I'm honest), pak choi and a VERY punchy, even for me, BBQ sauce. My mouth is on fire and I feel as if I've eaten a proper dinner. The ribs were excellent.

I've tried oven-chipping both celeriac and swede. For both the flavour is good (not the same, but still good), but they just don't have the same crunch and fluff as proper potato chips.

I have plenty of BBQ sauce left over. I think I might freeze it in an ice-cube tray, that way I can take out just a bit to give any tomato-based dish, like ragu, a bit of a kick.

Cheshirechappie":2bq4bxp5 said:
The next is the mixed messages from the likes of the FSA and other health nannies about what we should and shouldn't eat, and how often. It's now all so confusing (is chocolate OK in moderation or not?), and confused ('don't eat burnt toast' being the latest scare - despite there being no scientific evidence that it's damaging to humans, apparently), so most of us are not sure when they're giving good, supportable advice, or just scare-mongering. It also seems that their response is sometimes a bit dictatorial (tax sugary drinks) rather than informative (sugary drinks are best avoided, or at worst consumed in moderation).

I do wish the health authorities would just stick to a fairly simple, clear message about what constitutes a good, wholesome, balanced diet, and the consequences of departing from it, then leave us to make our own minds up about how we choose to live our lives.
They do give a fairly simple clear message - everybody nowadays knows what constitutes a healthy diet and I'm sure you do too.
They don't "scaremonger" - what would be the point of that, but they do have a duty to pass on details of research such as the toast thing - which isn't news anyway it's been known about for a long time.
They aren't sufficiently dictatorial about sugar - it's now seen as the biggest modern dietary problem in the world, cause of obesity, diabetes, rotten teeth, and a host of other things. Google it you may be surprised!
Chocolate is OK in moderation but not excess (google it) except for the sugar which is really bad, and the use of palm oil which is a health hazard and a major environmental problem. The problem is that sugar, chocolate, palm oil, feature often together in cakes, confectionary, puddings, biscuits etc but anybody wanting to lose weight wouldn't touch these with a barge pole. A very occasional treat would be OK but in fact if you stop using sugar a lot of stuff ends up tasting sickly sweet.

There is no such thing as an easy diet.

The best way I have found is forced moderation and exercise.

What the world seems to have forgotten these days is it really is OK to be hungry.
A very simple diet is to only eat in an 8hr window each day e.g. 8am - 4pm or 11am - 7pm.

Steve Maskery":2kcjjioh said:
I had a bit of a disappointing glitch over the weekend, but back on track this morning. I've lost 8lb in 14 days, 11 of them on this diet.

Just had ribs
with swede oven chips (a bit overdone, if I'm honest), pak choi and a VERY punchy, even for me, BBQ sauce. My mouth is on fire and I feel as if I've eaten a proper dinner. The ribs were excellent.

Sounds like you're on the eating yourself to death diet!

Jacob":1ihe4hk9 said:
Cheshirechappie":1ihe4hk9 said:

They do give a fairly simple clear message - everybody nowadays knows what constitutes a healthy diet and I'm sure you do too.
They don't "scaremonger" - what would be the point of that, but they do have a duty to pass on details of research such as the toast thing - which isn't news anyway it's been known about for a long time.
They aren't sufficiently dictatorial about sugar - it's now seen as the biggest modern dietary problem in the world, cause of obesity, diabetes, rotten teeth, and a host of other things. Google it you may be surprised!
Chocolate is OK in moderation but not excess (google it) except for the sugar which is really bad, and the use of palm oil which is a health hazard and a major environmental problem. The problem is that sugar, chocolate, palm oil, feature often together in cakes, confectionary, puddings, biscuits etc but anybody wanting to lose weight wouldn't touch these with a barge pole. A very occasional treat would be OK but in fact if you stop using sugar a lot of stuff ends up tasting sickly sweet.

Turned on Radio 4 this morning, to hear that the Food Standards Agency is advising people that well-done starchy foods such as toast, roast potatoes and crisps could cause cancer, because the blackening contains a chemical caused acrylamide. Reading the Telegraph later, it seems that the acrylamide is dangerous to mice if fed in large quantities, but there is no scientific evidence that it's dangerous to humans, especially if consumed in 'normal' quantities. Either someone at the FSA has jumped the gun, or it's an over-reaction bordering on scare-mongering. Quite a few people have already criticised the FSA for their approach to this - and it's certainly not the first time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... rreaction/

The FSA needs to calm down, look at the evidence carefully, and stop being scaremongering, dictatorial nannies. Otherwise, increasing numbers of us are just going to ignore (or deride) their pronouncements. It's for individuals to determine how they live their lives, not government agencies.

> It's easier than giving up smoking.

I really hope so, 'coz when I get over smoking I'm going to have to lose the weight I'm putting on giving it up! Boredom/finger fiddling eating is a big problem.

Four months over of "cold turkey" without a cigarette after nearly 50 years as a 20/30/40 a day smoker. I actually think I was temporarily insane at about the 3 to 4 week mark. That has passed but it still ain't easy (yet).

Cheshirechappie":2nrgr8gk said:
The FSA needs to calm down, look at the evidence carefully, and stop being scaremongering, dictatorial nannies. Otherwise, increasing numbers of us are just going to ignore (or deride) their pronouncements. It's for individuals to determine how they live their lives, not government agencies.
You still smoking then!
It's only Daily Mail/Express readers who get scared and need to calm down!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

timbo614":2ardsz6i said:
Four months over of "cold turkey" without a cigarette after nearly 50 years as a 20/30/40 a day smoker. I actually think I was temporarily insane at about the 3 to 4 week mark. That has passed but it still ain't easy (yet).
It does get easier but it took me a long time. Don't miss it at all now except the odd pang - jealous of those little gangs of ill looking people hanging around coughing and smoking outside offices etc, which is bloody insane you just have to look at the poor sods!

Jacob":1mkyyqs4 said:
Cheshirechappie":1mkyyqs4 said:
You still smoking then!
It's only Daily Mail/Express readers who get scared and need to calm down!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

I've never smoked. Not a good idea if you're asthmatic. If others choose to, that's their business entirely.

The FSA are going further with their war on well-done chips and roast potatoes. Now they're going to start prosecuting pubs and restaurants for serving well-done food. Understandably, the catering industry isn't too impressed, given the lack of scientific evidence to support the FSA's assertions, and hopes the FSA won't adopt a 'chip-fat controller' approach.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01 ... ants-will/

It does seem to me that the FSA are rather over-reacting, here. They are in danger of making themselves look a little over zealous and slightly foolish.

Cheshirechappie":1z0d9nfq said:
It does seem to me that the FSA are rather over-reacting, here. They are in danger of making themselves look a little over zealous and slightly foolish.

Agreed - Cancer UK and the corresponding USA charity both disagree with them.

BugBear

I don't understand why this is suddenly in the news. I heard about it at least ten years ago, on a cookery course. Same for using extra-virgin olive oil for high-temperature frying (though why anyone would want to beats me).

Steve Maskery":3jfgfbdo said:
I don't understand why this is suddenly in the news. I heard about it at least ten years ago, on a cookery course. Same for using extra-virgin olive oil for high-temperature frying (though why anyone would want to beats me).
because we're all sick to death of hearing about Trump and the media are short of "news".

It was all over our local radio station yesterday, interviewing experts, you name it. definitely an over reaction. :roll:

Latest posts

Back