Are you or know anyone who is coeliac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
1) Wondered why you keep getting reactions even though your diet excludes those food items that trigger the inflamatory response ?

Do you buy gluten-free stuff from shops ? Then take a good hard look at the ingredients and I'll bet that you will see xanthan gum in the listing. There's your culprit and the stuff features more and more in gluten-free cakes and bread etc. If you are coeliac then xanthan gum is not good for you. My missus is severely coeliac and couldn't work out why she kept feeling rough. The only bread she buys is M&S seeded loaf - gluten free. It's her go-to breakfast. So we kept a food diary and traced the culprit to the bread and xanthan gum in it.

We passed this information to a few friends who are also coeliac and been puzzling why they often didn't feel very well. They kept a food diary. Cut out anything with xanthan gum...Hey Presto. Jury is out on guar gum which also features heavily in gluten-free goods but we have our suspicions.

2) So you cut out the xanthan gum but still having problems ? Wheat starch is the next likely culprit. Yes....in theory it has been processed to be gluten-free. But this depends on the manufacturing method and it may still contain gluten. The Coeliac Society have been banging on about how it is OK for ages and refer to a study carried out by a Finnish professor that showed no reaction in coeliacs. Pity they didn't do any due diligence on the study. Like asking how many participants? Was the wheat starch bought at random ? I contacted the Professor and asked him. Had they done so then they would have found out that the study size was about 20 people (IIRC) and that the industry supplied the wheat starch sample. Hardly statistically sound.

3) Last up. I'm hoping you do know that our food regulations are not that tight and that below a certain level then anything containing gluten etc does not have to be on the ingredients list. If you are severely coeliac that limit is set too high.

Next week: Histamine Overload. Never heard of it ? Neither have a lot of doctors.

We analyse all food labels because the manufacturers dispose of Gelatine in so many food products and being vegetarian we don't want boiled Skin, Tendons , bones and ligaments in what we eat. What are the reactions to gum being coeliac ?

We analyse all food labels because the manufacturers dispose of Gelatine in so many food products and being vegetarian we don't want boiled Skin, Tendons , bones and ligaments in what we eat. What are the reactions to gum being coeliac ?
Stomach cramps, mouth ulcers, itching skin, usual coeliac stuff but coeliacs are all different in the way that they react.

Well, by law, ingredients have to be listed which means not buying anything ! But you make a fair point and certainly anything that has more than a couple of lines of ingredients, we pass by.
I think Artie means just buy primary ingredients, like joints of meat, potatoes, veg etc.

There is something to be said for that.

mouth ulcers
Stuff from the frozen veg isle stuff gives me those every time,
I presume it's the blast freezing,
aswell as stuff like canned alternatives, i.e sweetcorn,
and also found the same in soup mixes and ones preferred alcoholic beverage,
malt whiskey for example, but enough stout and I've found the same.

Those mouth ulcers triggered off timber allergies on a few occasions,
temporary thankfully.

I found the quick fix for it, and effective immediately, tobacco, 3 single puffs is quite enough,
whilst I also experienced some kind of reaction to that by overdoing it, and my hands went numb during an episode of sorts.
I presume one could chew the stuff instead, seeing as it's so effective, being very wary of the
non fimiliar poison going straight into the bloodstream.

Gotta give'm up again.
Sorry if that ain't helping, but if you can't talk without sounding like Hannibalector,
then it could be worth tryin a pinch of the chewable variety.
(not tried personally)

All the best
Might have to look into that gum.

Tom

It’s getting more difficult to avoid consuming stuff that’s bad for you. Glyphosate, micro plastics, PFAS and Steroid Hormones in our tap water etc, to name just a few. Apparently even bottled water now contains micro plastics. I always check ingredients now in an attempt to avoid non food items in supermarket produce.
On the up side, I've noticed an improvement in my own health since drinking probiotics every morning.

Back