Losing weight

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alexam":1bwvefc9 said:
A great burden on the NHS for the future.
Malcolm
Malcolm

I don't know that I agree with you.

Is a 90 years old cheaper in total for the NHS than someone who dies early due to obesity at say 70 ? My money is that the 90 years old is the more expensive when you consider the extra 20 years of care needed.

Obesity makes good news and a useful stick to hit the public with to distract from the real NHS issues. I've no doubt they will die early, but they live the lives the way they want which I think is important.

Brian

Whilst I am not a health economist and don't have any factual evidence to back up my suppositions.........You would think that someone who has reached the grand old age of 90 has lead a pretty healthy life of sorts and has not really been a burden on the NHS (you would think). Someone who is obese and has poor health with lots of issues and illnesses will have been a regular at their GP and the hospital and therefore cost more to deal with. Many people who are obese to the point of requiring ongoing medical treatment do not work and are therefore do not make a net contribution to the economy . Maybe if you dive the costs of both typical persons by the years they live it works out kind of equal, but I kind of doubt it. Maybe someone who is better with figures than me can give a greater insight to the costs etc

Brian, that is a very interesting point of view.

My dad died 20 years ago of cancer, he was a smoker. He was 70.

My mum died last week. She was a week short of 87. She had had Continuing Health Care for 2 years, having been given 3 months to live, ( @ £650 per week), . That is on top of the "normal" NHS costs.

I think on balance I'm with Brian.

Not that I am in favour of smoking, I'm not. But the economics is ambivalent.

Ace
That is a considered view, and thank you for you constructive contribution (that is sincere, not mockery) but in fact, today, with all the benefits of modern healthcare, it is perfectly possible to be very very old, very very ill, for a very very very long time.

It's a long slow death and I have no intention of experiencing it.

Good on you Steve for doing something about it =D>

I would agree that the economics between 70 and 90 are ambiguous however I know a fair few type 2 diabetics in their thirties and forties. I met some mates for a beer a few weeks back and around the table of six, 3 were diabetic, one down to genetics, two down to lifestyle/diet. Smoking is becoming less prevalent but it will be a while before the NHS burden caused by it goes down, following up closely behind to soak up this surplus cash is diabetes, largely avoidable as per diseases caused by smoking but no less horrendous.

acewoodturner":2tohlz3x said:
Whilst I am not a health economist and don't have any factual evidence to back up my suppositions.........You would think that someone who has reached the grand old age of 90 has lead a pretty healthy life of sorts and has not really been a burden on the NHS (you would think). Someone who is obese and has poor health with lots of issues and illnesses will have been a regular at their GP and the hospital and therefore cost more to deal with. Many people who are obese to the point of requiring ongoing medical treatment do not work and are therefore do not make a net contribution to the economy . Maybe if you dive the costs of both typical persons by the years they live it works out kind of equal, but I kind of doubt it. Maybe someone who is better with figures than me can give a greater insight to the costs etc

You can lead a healthy life and still need hips/knee replacements; cancers while largely treatable can be very much age related due to the DNA replication errors building up; also heart valve replacements and dementia which look to me to be age related. Like you I would like to see some figures, but I bet nobody will touch it - far too sensitive a can of worms to open.

Brian

Update time Steve
Are you a 8 st weakling yet?

I was inspired by your thread and have lost 8 lbs, but as you know, this is just 0.0000001% :roll:

I used to be an 8st weakling and bullies used to kick sand in my face. But then I got up to 12st. I'd eaten 4st of sand...

Well I've lost a whopping 1lb in the last week, which is a tad disappointing, but that is 11lb since I started, less than 6 weeks ago. But I'm still enjoying what I'm eating, I'm not feeling hungry and I'm feeling pretty good. Certainly sleeping better.

I had friends round for dinner on Saturday and I did cook new potatoes, which is not part of the deal, really, but although I ate them, I didn't think "Wow, delicious, I've missed these!", and the dessert I made was a keto coconut cheescake, which EIISSM looked excellent and had a perfect texture. I would not have known that there was no flour or sugar in it. The only disappointment was that I couldn't find any coconut extract and so it was a bit lacking in flavour. But I'll do it again with a more trad lemon flavour and see what happens.

IMG-20170211-WA0002.jpg

I've been invited out to a Brankie and Fenny's on Thursday. It will be very interesting to see whether I can resist the burger and chips. Fortunately there is a Calamaris Caesar salad that sounds excellent.

Off to find something interesting to do with lamb and leeks for this evening.

Attachments

• IMG-20170211-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20170211-WA0002.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 638
What? Are you drunk?
Walk down my local high street. It's a poor neighbourhood. You will see more obese people than not.
Cheap food is laden with
sugar and starch.
Please, either contribute constructively or not at all. This is not a place for an ignorant rant.

Steve Maskery":2yo4ni92 said:
What? Are you drunk?
Walk down my local high street. It's a poor neighbourhood. You will see more obese people than not.
Cheap food is laden with
sugar and starch.
Please, either contribute constructively or not at all. This is not a place for an ignorant rant.

it's not an 'ignorant rant' though, no need to get so upset :shock:

Steve Maskery":5864ml4w said:
I used to be an 8st weakling and bullies used to kick sand in my face. But then I got up to 12st. I'd eaten 4st of sand...

Well I've lost a whopping 1lb in the last week, which is a tad disappointing, but that is 11lb since I started, less than 6 weeks ago. But I'm still enjoying what I'm eating, I'm not feeling hungry and I'm feeling pretty good. Certainly sleeping better.

I had friends round for dinner on Saturday and I did cook new potatoes, which is not part of the deal, really, but although I ate them, I didn't think "Wow, delicious, I've missed these!", and the dessert I made was a keto coconut cheescake, which EIISSM looked excellent and had a perfect texture. I would not have known that there was no flour or sugar in it. The only disappointment was that I couldn't find any coconut extract and so it was a bit lacking in flavour. But I'll do it again with a more trad lemon flavour and see what happens.

I've been invited out to a Brankie and Fenny's on Thursday. It will be very interesting to see whether I can resist the burger and chips. Fortunately there is a Calamaris Caesar salad that sounds excellent.

Off to find something interesting to do with lamb and leeks for this evening.
Steve.

Just eat the burger and a few salad veggies. With double cream if you wish. I have a recipe for lamb neck fillet and leeks somewhere if you get stuck.

John

you could have the burger without the bun and not have the chips.

actually, that sounds awful, ignore me.

you've now lost the initial weight, which is mainly water retention and the most recently stored fats, that's the easy bit I'm afraid. well done for getting to this side of it, now on to the next stage, the long slow burn of fat reserves, this is where most people get disheartened, because they expect the 2-4lbs a week they had at first. you'll have blips where you drop that in a week (normally because you racked it on the week before but that's another story) but from now on expect 1-2lbs a week for a good and sustainable weight loss.

on the plus side, with a steady and slow loss of weight it tends to stay off easier when you return to eating more, we all do it, normally with statements like "oh it's christmas so you have to" and such like.

you can do some work on getting your metabolism working again now too, and get your heart working a few times a day, even if it's 30 seconds of up and down the stairs, it won't help with the weight loss but it will start conditioning you to be healthier and fitter in the long run.

well done Steve, and crack on with it. :)

novocaine":3p1hqvha said:
you can do some work on getting your metabolism working again now too, and get your heart working a few times a day, even if it's 30 seconds of up and down the stairs, it won't help with the weight loss but it will start conditioning you to be healthier and fitter in the long run.

I now try to run upstairs when possible, that gets easier [and more satisfying].

Back