Joke Thread II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20220819-173110.png

Me and my mate were discussing the cost of electric and ways to save money.
He told me that as the nights were drawing in he'd stopped putting the lights on in his home.
I asked him how he managed to make a brew in the dark.
"Dead simple," he said.
"You always keep the kettle full of water and a pile of tea bags on the side and a cup ready"
In the dark you switch the kettle on and let it boil.
Then you spread your left hand over the top of the cup, spreading out your fingers then pour the water from the kettle between the big gap of the thumb and index finger"

He's just had a skin graft done for third degree burns and should be home tomorrow.

And why the bathwater goes clockwise down the plughole in the N. hemisphere/anti-clockwise in the S - or so "they" say!
No, that's not the 'Coriolis effect', that's caused by the Earth spinning. Coriolis only applies to objects moving through 'free air', unattached to anything.

Are you saying that the Bathwater direction is caused by the Earth Spining but that is NOT the Coriolis Effect ?

As I understand it the Coriolis Effect is precicely the result of the Earth's rotation.

Are you saying that the Bathwater direction is caused by the Earth Spining but that is NOT the Coriolis Effect ?

As I understand it the Coriolis Effect is precicely the result of the Earth's rotation.
The way I read it was that it is caused by the earth spinning BUT Coriolis only applies to objects unattched to anything on the earth like a projectile or even a ball (if one could be thrown far enough), thhe effect is for the projectile to veer to the right in the N.hemisphere & vicky-verky in the S..

The way I read it was that it is caused by the earth spinning BUT Coriolis only applies to objects unattched to anything on the earth like a projectile or even a ball (if one could be thrown far enough), thhe effect is for the projectile to veer to the right in the N.hemisphere & vicky-verky in the S..

Gents, I must confess I had to Gogle it, and found that Stuart Little is quite correct. I stand corrected.

(I suppose in the case of the bathwater, the water IS "connected" to the earth - through the bath itself, the plughole, pipery, drains, etc, etc, so it's not coriolis effect). BTW, in my googling I found a very interesting short vid. A guy gives a football to 2 kids, then seats them opposite each other on a playground roundabout. While the roundabout doesn't rotate, the kids can throw the ball back and forwards to each other no problem, but when the guy turns the roundabout at a reasonable speed, the ball apparently veers off to the side, missing the opposite kid by "miles". One could of course argue that during it's flight the ball is not connected to the earth, but it does carry the rotation of the roundabout with it when it leaves the thrower's hands. A bit like the 1,010 mph fly trapped aboard Concorde - normally flies at "10 mph", but when aboard Concorde, add the 1,000 mph to that (unless he's flying toward the tail)!). :confused:

WHAT a fuss I've made in the Jokes thread. Sorry ....... hat, coat .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back