Joke Thread II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents, I must confess I had to Gogle it, and found that Stuart Little is quite correct. I stand corrected.

(I suppose in the case of the bathwater, the water IS "connected" to the earth - through the bath itself, the plughole, pipery, drains, etc, etc, so it's not coriolis effect). BTW, in my googling I found a very interesting short vid. A guy gives a football to 2 kids, then seats them opposite each other on a playground roundabout. While the roundabout doesn't rotate, the kids can throw the ball back and forwards to each other no problem, but when the guy turns the roundabout at a reasonable speed, the ball apparently veers off to the side, missing the opposite kid by "miles". One could of course argue that during it's flight the ball is not connected to the earth, but it does carry the rotation of the roundabout with it when it leaves the thrower's hands. A bit like the 1,010 mph fly trapped aboard Concorde - normally flies at "10 mph", but when aboard Concorde, add the 1,000 mph to that (unless he's flying toward the tail)!). :confused:

WHAT a fuss I've made in the Jokes thread. Sorry ....... hat, coat .....
I'm not sure about this. I'm struggling with the concept of a ball having an angular motion imparted to it. I think that as soon as the ball leaves the thrower's hands it has only a straight line velocity. I could be wrong, it happened once before in 1967, but try this thought experiment: attach a ball to a length of string, and swing it around your head. Then let go of the string. The ball will not continue in a circular path, but will take off at a tangent. I asked three-time world champion hammer thrower, Jock McOatscarton about this, and he agreed with me in no uncertain terms.

1661023026405.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this. I'm struggling with the concept of a ball having an angular motion imparted to it. I think that as soon as the ball leaves the thrower's hands it has only a straight line velocity. I could be wrong, it happened once before in 1967, but try this thought experiment: attach a ball to a length of string, and swing it around your head. Then let go of the string. The ball will not continue in a circular path, but will take off at a tangent. I asked three-time world champion hammer thrower, Jock McOatscarton about this, and he agreed with me in no uncertain terms.
^^^ This is true. The string was providing a centripetal force to keep the ball in a circular path, and when released it will travel at a tangent. It will not travel radially as the only ‘centrifugal’ force acts your hand to balance the centripetal force on the ball.

On the spinning roundabout, once thrown, the ball will continue with some tangential motion, so should ‘lag’ the person receiving it.

^^^ This is true. The string was providing a centripetal force to keep the ball in a circular path, and when released it will travel at a tangent. It will not travel radially as the only ‘centrifugal’ force acts your hand to balance the centripetal force on the ball.

On the spinning roundabout, once thrown, the ball will continue with some tangential motion, so should ‘lag’ the person receiving it.

Short answer: "I dunno". Sorry to have stirred up a "storm" - NOT my intention. I'll leave the rest for all you clever types to discuss. But I would suggest a look at the little vid I referred to above - IF anyone wants to take this any further. I'm out!

I'd watch it if you posted a link, but I doubt it would convince me. The boy throws the ball. Once it's left his hands it travels in a straight line. By the time it reaches the opposite side of the roundabout, the other boy has moved round. It would be the same if the boys were on two trains moving in opposite directions, and I don't see what it has to do with the Coriolis effect.
But back to jokes...

I'd watch it if you posted a link, but I doubt it would convince me. The boy throws the ball. Once it's left his hands it travels in a straight line. By the time it reaches the opposite side of the roundabout, the other boy has moved round. It would be the same if the boys were on two trains moving in opposite directions, and I don't see what it has to do with the Coriolis effect.
But back to jokes...
To be pedantic, the trajectory of the ball - viewed in the horizontal plain, perpendicular to the direction of travel - would in fact be a Parabola, though viewed from above there may be a distortion due to the coriolis effect. Over the distance involved (how far can a boy throw a ball?) it would need extremely sensitive measuring equipment to determine the magnitude of that effect. :D (this is a joke thread afterall)

The distance would be too short for the C. effect to occur, I gather that about or at least 1000 metres would show the effect, that's why for a long shot a sniper would need to set up his aim to the left (& above) the target. I guess if we wanted to 'nuke' Moacow we would aim for somewhere between there & St. Petersb'g! ;) . I'm wondering now if 'planes flying 'The Great Circle' are effected.:unsure:

If you haven't read them:-

This year best Edinburgh jokes... Lean year imho.

1 "I tried to steal spaghetti from the shop, but the female guard saw me and I couldn't get pasta" - Masai Graham

2. "Did you know, if you get pregnant in the Amazon, it's next-day delivery" - Mark Simmons

3. "My attempts to combine nitrous oxide and Oxo cubes made me a laughing stock" - Olaf Falafel

4. "By my age, my parents had a house and a family, and to be fair to me, so do I - but it is the same house and it is the same family" - Hannah Fairweather

5. "I hate funerals - I'm not a mourning person" - Will Mars

6. "I spent the whole morning building a time machine, so that's four hours of my life that I'm definitely getting back" - Olaf Falafel

7. "I sent a food parcel to my first wife. FedEx" - Richard Pulsford

8. "I used to live hand to mouth. Do you know what changed my life? Cutlery" - Tim Vine

9. "Don't knock threesomes. Having a threesome is like hiring an intern to do all the jobs you hate" - Sophie Duker

10. "I can't even be bothered to be apathetic these days" - Will Duggan

The distance would be too short for the C. effect to occur, I gather that about or at least 1000 metres would show the effect, that's why for a long shot a sniper would need to set up his aim to the left (& above) the target. I guess if we wanted to 'nuke' Moacow we would aim for somewhere between there & St. Petersb'g! ;) . I'm wondering now if 'planes flying 'The Great Circle' are effected.:unsure:

.....or even "affected".....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back