It a right pain in the ask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pip1954

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's not woodwork but it getting me cranky
We have a door bell that does not work every time it is a battery push but the bell is built in to a double socket ,well it's the push that is the pain I was wondering if I can change it for a different one do they have different frequencies or do work on the same one will it tell me in the back,could I change it for that is wired to a transformer .
Any help would be great I just don't know where to start.
Cheers pip

We have a long range wireless Honeywell. You have one or more doorbells with a battery in them that you can site where you want. The bell bit plugs into a socket of your choice. I have two, one goes in the garage/workshop whilst the main one lives in the hallway.
The design have served us well in three houses over 20+ years. The only drawback is cold weather effecting the battery, and then it gets problematic, often needing a few pushes to work.

Colin

It's unlikely you'll just buy a button to suit your bell. If you buy another look at the IP rating and buy a decent one. You might get away with drying out the button - put it in a container with some silica gel for a couple of days then see if it works, it worked with mine.

I've got two wind-up clock-work bells. One ancient one modern. You can still buy them. They are very loud and never fail as long as you remember to wind them up every now and then, maybe once every couple of weeks, depends on your visitors.
Best mounted in a door panel rather than rail or stile, so the panel acts as a soundboard.

Last edited:
We have had several different wireless bells, some battery, some plug in the mains, none lasted very long before problems set in, sometimes the unit, sometimes the bell press, I must have spent a fair amount on them over time

As we live upstairs mostly and have very thick walls, knocking cannot always be heard, the bell part needs to be a fair distance from the bell press, I gave up with wireless in the end and got a wired mains transformer, its worked perfectly ever since

It was a bit of a nuisance getting the wire through but well worth it

We gave up on the usual wireless doorbells as we found the very unreliable, instead we got a 'Eufy' Security doorbell plus a couple of cameras, a bit of an investment but VERY happy and proving to be very reliable since purchasing about 18 months ago.

Link Amazon.co.uk

Same issue, I bought an identical bell and push, nope, didn't work with the old bell.
I believe they are either coded, or use different frequencies, so that your neighbour's visitors don't activate your bell.
Let's face it, if you bought two identical Ford Mondeos, you wouldn't expect the key fobs to be interchangeable!

Our dog bell goes off well before they're anywhere near the door!
The remote sensing on ours is pretty good too though we have managed to turn down the sensitivity so as not to get it set off by those walking by the end of the drive. Adjusting that setting took a bit of time and repetition.
All in all a dog bell is a pretty reliable option.

The remote sensing on ours is pretty good too though we have managed to turn down the sensitivity so as not to get it set off by those walking by the end of the drive. Adjusting that setting took a bit of time and repetition.
All in all a dog bell is a pretty reliable option.
Ours gets loud and shrill if there's any sign of a squirrel nearby.

Our dog bell goes off well before they're anywhere near the door!
Agreed, in many cases just walking past or the neighbours going to work, but certainly no missing it! My oldest is ptetty deaf, so not sure he hears much,. When the youngster kicks off he presumably thinks "well there must be something to bark about" so he joins in 🙄

ALDI, we've had a wireless bell from ALDI for about 5 years, works perfectly, has maybe 100 different annoying rings, and cost about £3.

Latest posts

Back